Chevron Delo 400 Synthetic - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2004, 10:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
JohnnyO
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

For all you Chevron Delo users.

I just found this at the Chevron-Texaco site. Delo is now making a synthetic. Anyone see it in the stores? I can't find it here in NJ.

http://www.chevrontexacodelo.com/pro...ine_oil.html#8

BTW. It looks like Delo has it's own new site.

http://www.chevrontexacodelo.com
<DIV class=suber><A name=8></A>Chevron Delo 400 Synthetic SAE 0W-30, 5W-40</DIV>

Chevron Delo 400 Synthetic heavy duty engine oils are multipurpose fully synthetic lubricants formulated for use in gasoline and diesel engines, torque converters, gear cases, and hydraulic systems operating in subzero arctic-type temperatures. Our synthetic products are manufactured using stable synthetic base stocks. These oils use highly dispersed viscosity index improvers that promote stable viscosities and soot dispersancy between oil drains.

Benefits:

<UL>
<LI>Easier cold weather starting due to excellent low temperature pumping capability.
<LI>Lower oil cost — Low oil consumption as proven by excellent deposit control on piston crown lands. Outstanding oxidation stability contributes to long oil service life.
<LI>Reduced operating costs — Excellent soot dispersancy and wear control can help extend engine life to overhaul and help defer the cost of investing in new equipment.
<LI>Reduced inventory costs — The wide operating temperature range allows the use of one oil in all seasons.
<LI>Improved profitability — Unsurpassed protection against valve train wear maintains maximum fuel economy.
<LI>Longer engine life —Exceptional soot dispersancy and excellent low temperature pumping capability lead to less wear at startup and during all operating conditions </LI>[/list]

Meeting the following performance categories:
SAE 5W-40
<UL>
<LI>CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF, CE*, CD*, SL, SJ, SH*, SG*
*Obsolete specification
<LI>Mack EO-N Premium Plus, Cummins CES 20,078 </LI>[/list]
Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo
KYB MonoMax shocks
ISSPRO EGT & Boost
2004 Coachman Chaparral 281BHS
PullRite 24K SuperGlide Hitch
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2004, 01:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
problemchild
Diesel Master

What a shame.

The Dmax doesnt like 5wt oil. It drops the hot idle oil pressure to 14-16lbs. I have seen many posts here that say they have the same problem so I know its not just me. Even 15wt syn drops oil pressure. The dino keeps it at 30lbs hot idle.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
dirty old man
Diesel Technician

Problem Child, you keep yelling about low oil pressure on 5W-40 syn. Well, I've had Amsoil 5W-30 in my Dmax for 5k now and the hot oil pressure has never fallen below about 25-28 psi on the stock gauge.

By the time you reach 1500 rpm, the pressures are as high as they were with the oem oil that came in it. And, as a plus, the cold startup readings are much more in reason.

The oil i'm using is Amsoil Series 3000 HD Diesel and Marine and my setup also includes the Amsoil dual remote filter setup with one big full flow and one huge bypass filter.

I installed the filter setup and the oil @ 7k Dmax now has 12k, purrs like a kitten, the oil is still less that a quart low and is only lightly stained. I'm happy as a pig in slop!
Offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2004, 08:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
problemchild
Diesel Master

Hey dirty.......

Did you read the part of my post that said MANY people here have complained about VERY LOW hot oil pressure too?

Your GM idiot guage is probably wrong. If you run a high quality quage off the pressure port Ill bet you have 16lbs when you get off the freeway and idle her hot. And remember I live in sunny california not alaska.

Wanna take that bet? Pink slips would be my call.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
dirty old man
Diesel Technician

LMAO!!!! Looks like I got your attention PC! Pink slips? I expect I'm closer to actually holding one on an '03 than most, maybe you!What you don't seem to realize is that hot idle oil pressure is not a "be all end all" issue.

The Dmax is not your normal SBC, or even BBC, and has lots of places to drop idle oil pressure. It even has jets to spray the underside of the pistons with oil to cool them. All these extra oil jets, etc. do allow the oil pressure at idle to be extra sensitive to oil viscosity, etc. But how much work does your Dmax actually do at 600 rpm?

AS an interesting aside, back in the 50's, when stock meant stock in NASCAR, valve float was a real problem for the boys running OHV V/8s, such as the Olds 88. The solution was to squash the oil pressure relief spring till the oil pressure was only 20 psi or so at MAX RPM! these engines ran like this all afternoon in stresses your Dmax can only imagine!

So get off your horse about hot idle oil pressure, as long as there's enough to keep the lifters up, enjoy the knowledge that your Dmax has lubrication much quicker on the cold starts that are the bane of all internal combustion engines.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
keystonekid
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO

For all you Chevron Delo users.

I just found this at the Chevron-Texaco site. Delo is now making a synthetic. Anyone see it in the stores? I can't find it here in NJ.

http://www.chevrontexacodelo.com/pro...ine_oil.html#8

BTW. It looks like Delo has it's own new site.

http://www.chevrontexacodelo.com
<DIV class=suber><A name=8></A>Chevron Delo 400 Synthetic SAE 0W-30, 5W-40</DIV>

Chevron Delo 400 Synthetic heavy duty engine oils are multipurpose fully synthetic lubricants formulated for use in gasoline and diesel engines, torque converters, gear cases, and hydraulic systems operating in subzero arctic-type temperatures. Our synthetic products are manufactured using stable synthetic base stocks. These oils use highly dispersed viscosity index improvers that promote stable viscosities and soot dispersancy between oil drains.

Benefits:

<UL>
<LI>Easier cold weather starting due to excellent low temperature pumping capability.
<LI>Lower oil cost — Low oil consumption as proven by excellent deposit control on piston crown lands. Outstanding oxidation stability contributes to long oil service life.
<LI>Reduced operating costs — Excellent soot dispersancy and wear control can help extend engine life to overhaul and help defer the cost of investing in new equipment.
<LI>Reduced inventory costs — The wide operating temperature range allows the use of one oil in all seasons.
<LI>Improved profitability — Unsurpassed protection against valve train wear maintains maximum fuel economy.
<LI>Longer engine life —Exceptional soot dispersancy and excellent low temperature pumping capability lead to less wear at startup and during all operating conditions </LI>[/list]

Meeting the following performance categories:
SAE 5W-40
<UL>
<LI>CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF, CE*, CD*, SL, SJ, SH*, SG*
*Obsolete specification
<LI>Mack EO-N Premium Plus, Cummins CES 20,078 </LI>[/list]
The Chevron synthetic your referring to was made special for the heavy equipment and mining company's, I don't think you will see it on store shelves, but I would imagine you can get it through a master oil distributor that handles Chevron products.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
JohnnyO
Diesel Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemchild
What a shame.

The Dmax doesnt like 5wt oil. It drops the hot idle oil pressure to 14-16lbs. I have seen many posts here that say they have the same problem so I know its not just me. Even 15wt syn drops oil pressure. The dino keeps it at 30lbs hot idle.
Hi problemchild:

my truck is not experiencing those symptoms. I monitor the pressure regularly. For the winter, I am using Shell Rotella Syn 5W-40. Lately the temperature is in the low teens in the morning and mid 20's in the afternoon. When the engine is cold, the pressure is almost instantaneous and @ 60-70 #'s at idle. With the 15W-40 oil it took about 5-8 seconds to register pressure and then it was @90#'s at idle)

When hot with water jacket temperature @ 180-200 degrees the oil pressure reads:

idle = 29-30 #'s
1500 rpm = 45-50#'s (50 mph)
1800 rpm = 58#'s
2000 rpm = 65 #'s (60-65 mph)

No problem with the pressure here.

IMHO 5W-40 is a good choice for the colder climates and cold start lubrication.

I like to switch back to a 15W-40 for the summer for the thicker viscosity right at cold start.Edited by: JohnnyO
KYB MonoMax shocks
ISSPRO EGT & Boost
Old 02-03-2004, 09:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
BlueMaxxxx
Diesel Technician

Problem child has bigger problems than oil viscocity. He keeps shouting the same ( yawn) stuff on each strand. Get rid of the defective oil filters and consider the possability that your super special oil pressure guage might be defective or have a signal delay after you hit hot idle. If your oil pressure drops off that significantly after a oil change you have bigger worries than oil brand/viscocity. This is my second max and I have never seen anything like what you are experiencing.....except the one time I did not get the oil filter on tight enough.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dmax affair
Diesel Technician

<DIV>

I've put Chevron Delo 400 5w/40 synthetic in on my last oil change. All I have to say is this stuff is great...cold weather start up is great and the hot idle oil press is the same as it was with the 15/40 dino.

I did notice that there isn't any formal approval on this oil so I email Chevron and this is the response I received.
<DIV style="mso-element: frame; mso-element-frame-width: 508.85pt; mso-element-frame-height: 436.1pt; mso-element-frame-hspace: 7.1pt; mso-element-wrap: auto; mso-element-anchor-vertical: page; mso-element-anchor-horizontal: page; mso-element-left: 43.75pt; mso-element-top: 59.6pt">
<TABLE height=436 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=516 vspace="0" hspace="0">
<T>
<TR>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 7.1pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 7.1pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top align=left height=436>
From: "Parsons, Gary (GMPA)" &lt;GMPA@chevrontexaco.com&gt;
To: "Greg “
Sent: <st1:date Month="12" Day="3" Year="2003">Wednesday, December 03, 2003</st1:date> <st1:time Hour="18" Minute="48">6:48 PM</st1:time>
Subject: RE: Delo 400 API approved?
Thanks for your inquiry. Chevron Delo 400 Synthetic SAE 5W-40 does meet API C 1-4 and SL, and we now place
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0.4pt 0in 0pt

SOLD-2003 GMC SLE CC SB 4x4 D/A in summit white. Cognito uca leveling kit, Bilstein blue/yellow shocks, Monster automotive 06 style tow mirrors, t-bars turned up, Vision 19.5 wheels and Sumitomo 245/70 tires, extra leaf added to the rear springs, high idle, Pre OEM Racor 660, Autometer pyro/boost gauges , Edge/Attitude R.I.P., now its a PPE Xcelerator & PPE Boost Valve, Banks ram air with super scoop, Banks monster dual exhaust, J&J Millenium Boards, Line-X, Cloud Rider Mud Flaps, Bug Deflector II.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
JohnnyO
Diesel Technician

I e-mailed Chevron for information on Delo Synthetic 5W-40. Here's an excerpt from the document they sent.
FEATURES

Chevron Delo 400 Synthetic heavy duty motor oils are multipurpose 100% synthetic lubricants formulated for use in gasoline and diesel engines, torque converters,
gear cases, and hydraulic systems operating in subzero arctic-type temperatures.
They are manufactured using stable synthetic base stocks. These oils utilize highly dispersed viscosity index improvers that promote stable viscosities and soot dispersancy
between oil drains.
FUNCTIONS

Chevron Delo 400 Synthetic heavy duty motor oils have excellent shear stability
and are designed to not shear down to a lower viscosity grade in most applications. Thus, engines
are well protected during maximum drain intervals. Shear stability can be a problem with nonsynthetic SAE 0W 30 and 5W 40 engine oils.
Chevron Delo 400 Synthetic heavy duty motor oils maintain excellent deposit control. They retard the formation of sludge, deposits, and varnish associated with low and
high temperature operation, thus keeping engines clean. These oils also provide outstanding wear, rust, and corrosion protection.
With their low viscosity, Chevron Delo 400 Synthetic heavy duty motor oils assure consistent engine starting. The improved low temperature pumpability also reduces
wear. These oils maintain excellent oil circulation once the engine has started and is running.
Chevron Delo 400 Synthetic heavy duty motor oils reduce oil thickening and have excellent oxidation and thermal stability. They reduce oil consumption because
of their low volatility.
----------------------------------------------------End-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a running comparison sheet on oils and added the Chevron Delo Synthetic 5W-40.

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 437pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=582 border=0 x:str>
<COLGROUP>
<COL style="WIDTH: 88pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 4278" width=117>
<COL style="WIDTH: 48pt" span=4 width=64>
<COL style="WIDTH: 55pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2669" width=73>
<COL style="WIDTH: 48pt" width=64>
<COL style="WIDTH: 54pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2633" width=72><T><T>
<T>
<TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 88pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=117 height=17></TD>
<TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=64>Delo</TD>
<TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=64>Rotella</TD>
<TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=64>Delo Syn</TD>
<TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=64>RotellSyn</TD>
<TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 55pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=73>Delvac1300</TD>
<TD class=xl26 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transp
KYB MonoMax shocks
ISSPRO EGT & Boost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread