LB7: Strange - FICM Injector codes + P1658 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
combsmax
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Strange - FICM Injector codes + P1658

I looked high and low for this combination and a fix but could not find anyone with this issue, so maybe here's a NEW one.

I have a 2003 LB7 that lost pedal and died at low speed and would not start back up. Engine cranked but would not fire. Check engine light came on and dashes displayed across the text/odometer display. Pushed it into a parking spot and let it sit for about 15 mins. Pumped fuel filter prime, wiggled connectors and it started up. Drove home fine with MIL on. Ran fine.

Next day, started up fine and Check Engine/MIL was cleared. Checked for codes and found:

P0201-P0208 - Injector Circuit Open Cylinder 1-8 (all cylinders/injectors)
AND
P1658 - FICM Internal Malfunction

I've not had any issues, but I know it's looming, and I found this:

P1658 sounds distressing - FICM has failed. There is no external failure that can cause DTC P1658 to set. This code is due to an internal circuit failure (i.e., this code indicates a FICM replacement).

So, question is, could P1658 cause P0201-P0208 (FICM taking everything down) or could this be harness related??

Two years ago I had CAN bus errors: P0880 and U2104/U2105 and I wound up replacing both the ECM and FICM after a week of electrical harness diagnostics.

Dang Duramax - like this truck, don't like it's electrical issues.

Any similar stories or advice?
mostly stock for all practical purposes
saving pennies to add a LML to the family...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
combsmax
Diesel Enthusiast

Ground troubleshooting ?

I have another thread on a FICM code P1658, but I thought I'd ask this another way - I"m going to start with making sure there are no grounding issues causing the intermittent injector related codes.

I'm looking for experience in troubleshooting Duramax grounding.

So far I've seen:

Check the front cross member ground, check ground under the drivers door. Obviously I'll check the battery cables and alternator.

Anyone have a troubleshooting guide? TSB? Personal Experience?

Thanks!
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
PrivatePilot
Administrator
Resident Coffee Addict

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Combsmax, I merged your two threads together - Even though you're looking at this from a different perspective now it is easier for our membership to help you when all of the information is in one place.

Mark - Courtice, Ontario, Canada.
'97 C3500 Crew Cab Long Box Dually 6.5 Turbo Diesel.
Rebuilt with Navistar 506 block spring 2012
Special thanks to Racer55 and WhiteK2500 for their invaluable assistance!
Commercial OTR Driver Since '95

Find my list of reference information HERE
New members, please introduce yourself HERE

Last edited by PrivatePilot; 11-21-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
combsmax
Diesel Enthusiast

Thank you PrivatePilot.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Charlie B
Diesel Master

The only thing I know is don't forget the ground from the firewall to the block on the drivers side by the glow plug controller.====charlie
Carbon Metallic-mostly stock, new injectors & FPR at 197,000 miles, 2 sets front wheel bearings, 3 sets rear u-joints, pump rub fix at 154,000 miles, front brakes & rotors 154,000 miles,2nd set injectors 284,000, now 346,698 miles and counting.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
protagonistas
Diesel Enthusiast

I have a Chevy Silverado 2002, Isuzu 8GF1XS. In trying to turn shipping no evidence of electrical signal to the injectors. I can do to resolve this?
Old 11-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
protagonistas
Diesel Enthusiast

I have a Chevy Silverado 2002, Isuzu 8GF1XS. In trying to turn shipping no evidence of electrical signal to the injectors. I can do to resolve this?..Please help me....Is very urgent....readramirez@gmail.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.