LB7: EGR removal - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 07:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Mudweiser80
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

EGR removal

I have been researching and reading up on here about removing EGR from the Durmax. I see some people say we have EGR and some say we don't. I need to get a clear clarification on whether we have it or not. I have a 2002 and I would like to get mine removed! Is there a kit for it or do I have to have a programmer of some sort to remove the codes. Somebody please help me so I can help others who needs to get theirs remove as well. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Blk04HD
Diesel Master

Is it a California truck originally? If its a federal emissions truck with a LB7 it never had egr.
MBRP 4 INCH TURBO BACK
EFI W/DSP5
TUNES BY NICK AT DURAMAXTUNER.COM
BCI COLD AIR INTAKE W/ AEM DRY FILTER
BUILT TRANNY BY SMOKIN DIESEL PERFORMANCE
(MIKE BODINE)
W/ML CONVERTER
MOTO METAL CHROME 955's W/305/65/17 DC CRUSHERS
PYOs W/285/75/16 NITTO TGs WINTER
COOTER TIE ROD SLEEVES/TRACTION BARS
ALL ON HEADLIGHT MOD
GOODMARK 2 INCH COWL HOOD
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Blk04HD
Diesel Master

Only california emission lb7 trucks had egr on them. Federal emission trucks with lb7s never did.
MBRP 4 INCH TURBO BACK
EFI W/DSP5
TUNES BY NICK AT DURAMAXTUNER.COM
BCI COLD AIR INTAKE W/ AEM DRY FILTER
BUILT TRANNY BY SMOKIN DIESEL PERFORMANCE
(MIKE BODINE)
W/ML CONVERTER
MOTO METAL CHROME 955's W/305/65/17 DC CRUSHERS
PYOs W/285/75/16 NITTO TGs WINTER
COOTER TIE ROD SLEEVES/TRACTION BARS
ALL ON HEADLIGHT MOD
GOODMARK 2 INCH COWL HOOD
Old 11-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
maxinDixon
Diesel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk04HD View Post
Is it a California truck originally? If its a federal emissions truck with a LB7 it never had egr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk04HD View Post
Only california emission lb7 trucks had egr on them. Federal emission trucks with lb7s never did.
The above statements are not correct. There are federal emissions classes that did have EGR and cat.
While YF5 (ca emission) had EGR and cat for the 02 model year and after, the following federal and other regions also had cat and EGR. They are NF4 and VCL (federal emissions and clean fuel vehicle emission) and NE1 (MA, ME, NY and/or VT).
FE9 federal emissions all other regions had no EGR and cat until the 2004.5 year model or LLY engine.
This information has been posted many times on this site.
Now, to answer the OP's question, the only real and effective way of dealing with the EGR is EFI live to block the EGR function in the ECU and prevent a CEL. There is no kit for this. On mine, I removed the vacuum pump and left everything else in place. If you want to remove all those solenoids by the fuel filter, you WILL need EFI to turn off the monitoring of those circuits within the ECU. I left my EGR valve in place. It is the cheapest blocker you can buy. It takes at least 20psi boost to overcome the EGR valve spring. There is a 2nd baro sensor just behind the fuel filter. Do not remove this one or your power and performance will suck. This sensor cannot be disabled but that is ok, the ECU only needs to see an electrical connection with it.
GMC '04 2500HD SLE CC D/A LB7 SB Summit White, LineX, Nicktane, JK headlight harness and fuel pump with harness, HIR lowbeams, Banks exhaust, EFI Live, Horn mod, Suncoast 6 speed conversion, injectors at 112,265, injector #8 replaced at 136,078 and again all 8 at 168,368.
VW '02 Jetta Wagon TDI 6 spd ERF, Bosio DLC520 injectors, Malone stage 2 tuning.
VW '01 NB TDI 6 spd ERF, Bosio PP764 nozzles, Malone stage 2 tuning. Driving made fun!

Last edited by maxinDixon; 11-17-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
zacwht20
Diesel Enthusiast

you can remove it or block it with a LLY blocker plate if you dont want to mess with getting a federal emissions up pipe, serp belt and other misc things but the CEL will be an issue as previously stated
EFI by Rob w/DSP 5 / BigDipper trans with ML converter(built by Todd=Stroke 250) / Raptor 150 / Big Dipper 45% over injectors / Wicked Stage 3 Stroker pump / 4in MBRP dp back to a 6" black Mitre cut stack / 8000K HID Hi/Low / Recon smoked LED tails, cabs, and 3rd brake / Rancho 9000's / DHD Steering brace
Old 11-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
maxinDixon
Diesel Master

There is no point in installing a blocker plate on the LB7 unless you are running a big tune requiring more that 20psi boost. The valve has a heavy spring to keep it closed. Also the tune is still geared with EGR function in mind.

Check out this post. There are links to a post with all of the components to the EGR setup including a schematic. Also a link to the thread on all you ever wanted to know about this headache.
lb7 egr code
GMC '04 2500HD SLE CC D/A LB7 SB Summit White, LineX, Nicktane, JK headlight harness and fuel pump with harness, HIR lowbeams, Banks exhaust, EFI Live, Horn mod, Suncoast 6 speed conversion, injectors at 112,265, injector #8 replaced at 136,078 and again all 8 at 168,368.
VW '02 Jetta Wagon TDI 6 spd ERF, Bosio DLC520 injectors, Malone stage 2 tuning.
VW '01 NB TDI 6 spd ERF, Bosio PP764 nozzles, Malone stage 2 tuning. Driving made fun!

Last edited by maxinDixon; 11-17-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
noreaster
Diesel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxinDixon View Post
The above statements are not correct. There are federal emissions classes that did have EGR and cat.
While YF5 (ca emission) had EGR and cat for the 02 model year and after, the following federal and other regions also had cat and EGR. They are NF4 and VCL (federal emissions and clean fuel vehicle emission) and NE1 (MA, ME, NY and/or VT).
FE9 federal emissions all other regions had no EGR and cat until the 2004.5 year model or LLY engine.
only the Cali 02s had egrs & cats, the others didn't till 03 & the NF2s had none on the LB7s
#13...A(ACLU)

Old 11-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
maxinDixon
Diesel Master

Don't know about nf2. Friend has an 03 NF4 and it does have egr and cat.

Last edited by maxinDixon; 11-18-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
maxinDixon
Diesel Master

As an edit to my above post, the NF4 is clean fuel fleet vehicle and had EGR and cat at least starting with 03 as evidenced with my buddies truck.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Mudweiser80
Diesel Head

All I know is I got my truck from my father-in-law and I need a simple answer to my question here. Some of this stuff you guys are telling me are over my head since I'm a newbie.

What do I need to do to find out if it does have EGR or not??

Thanks for your help guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.