Diesel Place banner

Change you serpintine belt

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  nobull1 
#1 ·
I did mine last night, unfortunately with a GM belt(42 bucks) Goodyear hasnt made a gatorback belt yet for my truck. Anyways point of order do it before it craps the bed on ya, It aint something you want to do at night in the cold like I did.

Its really tight getting around the fan to get around the crank pulley, And that sucker runs around so many dang pulleys, No joke took me like 20 mins in 15 degree weather with minimal light to just change a stinking belt. But man no more squeak at all

Bill

#3 ·
Just a half inch ratchet on the idler tensioner to get the belt off/on and something to get some torque on the ratchet as that tensioner, well it has alot of tension

Hey how much play is "allowed" in the idler pulley? Their was no up down play in the pulley, but I could move it forward-back a decent amount. Is Eric back from vacation? Do I need the whole tensioner assm. Or just the pulley?

TIA

Bill

#4 ·
Trust me Bill after 3 or 4 you just grab that pulley with your fingers and pull "LOL" 5 mins max installed, hardest part is getting belt lined up on crank pulley.Just call me serpentine man
Did yours break?

#5 ·
Nope no break, Just was getting really rough looking, and wanted to eliminate the possibility. Theirs no way in heck I could just grab my tensioner to get the belt off, I bet it takes 200lbs of force to move that tensioner, Seems alot stiffer than any other truck I changed belts on.

Pretty easy changing that belt for you Brian, Its a huge PIA to change the belts on our 6.5s with the PTO as you gotta get the PTO belts off to be able to put the serpintine belt on. That setup is still going through belts? If it wasnt for that setup, Id have a another Dmax, Ol' man says no new truck till new belt setup. MFer This 6.5 is still running strong but the trucks TRASHED

Bill

#6 ·
TheChevyHDMan said:
Nope no break, Just was getting really rough looking, and wanted to eliminate the possibility. Theirs no way in heck I could just grab my tensioner to get the belt off, I bet it takes 200lbs of force to move that tensioner, Seems alot stiffer than any other truck I changed belts on.

Pretty easy changing that belt for you Brian, Its a huge PIA to change the belts on our 6.5s with the PTO as you gotta get the PTO belts off to be able to put the serpintine belt on. That setup is still going through belts? If it wasnt for that setup, Id have a another Dmax, Ol' man says no new truck till new belt setup. MFer This 6.5 is still running strong but the trucks TRASHED

Bill

Only being a smart a$$ about the tensioner but It does only take a few minutes after doing 3 or 4 replacements.This is one of my biggest complaints about the truck so far and GM are not "directly" to blame in my case.I wonder if they have just a little too much tension and that causes premature failure.Premature failure to me appears to be noise caused by cord in rib separating from rib material, and causing noise when cold.This "noise" is a common problem with long serpentine belts, as they warm up noise goes away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.