Coolant leak, should I use stop-leak products?? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (5) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011, 06:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
musclecarboy
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Coolant leak, should I use stop-leak products??

After a pressure test, my mechanic said the water pump is leaking slowly. About $800 labor and parts to change but he can't do it until next week and I have a 2,000 mile trip pulling 5t leaving tomorrow I NEED to take. Should I dump in stop-leak or just carry some coolant as I go and not worry about it? To be honest it's been 2,000mi since it was topped up and it has maybe lost 6-10oz. Is there any concern here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2011, 06:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
thee craig
Diesel Master

Location: Evans Mills, Chancellor Cuomo's Republic of New York

CNY Diesel Club Member

NO STOP LEAK!! works, works too well, the Cu will clog capillaries that run thru ur egr cooler or anything of that manner. if you're only leaking a little carry extra water
Tekonsha P3... 15% front tint... dupli-color bed armor with kevlar... all-on mod (best $1.29 ever spent)... HID's 6000k hi and low... fuel filter access door... pcv re-route (www.allseasondieselperformance.com thanks tony)... Mag Hy-tec rear diff cover (thanks 6LCummins [Nick]) stuffed full of RP... Kryptonite UCA's (white) and damn near every Dmaxstore.com front end component, up 2" in the front and 1" in the rear, softened by 5100's... fine lines SS brake lines and russell braided flex lines

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!
MOLON LABE
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 06:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
musclecarboy
Diesel Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by thee craig View Post
NO STOP LEAK!! works, works too well, the Cu will clog capillaries that run thru ur egr cooler or anything of that manner. if you're only leaking a little carry extra water
It's an LB7 so there's no EGR but I was thinking it would stop flow in more places than you really want
Old 10-27-2011, 10:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Charlie B
Diesel Master

musclecarboy, what makes you think an LB7 does not have a EGR system.

A LB7 with California emissions has EGR sytem. for your info===charlie
Carbon Metallic-mostly stock, new injectors & FPR at 197,000 miles, 2 sets front wheel bearings, 3 sets rear u-joints, pump rub fix at 154,000 miles, front brakes & rotors 154,000 miles,2nd set injectors 284,000, now 346,698 miles and counting.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
musclecarboy
Diesel Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
musclecarboy, what makes you think an LB7 does not have a EGR system.

A LB7 with California emissions has EGR sytem. for your info===charlie
Trust me I don't have anything. I'm not talking out my @ss I've done the research
Old 10-27-2011, 11:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Heartbeat Hauler
Diesel Master

INDP Member

Don't use the Stop Leak. How much does it leak?

Puddle under the truck? Fix it.

Low Coolant light once in awhile? I had this problem too (mine was low coolant light every 6 months or so) and I put off the water pump replacement for about 3 years. I always carried a gallon of 50/50 mix and it was enough for the whole 3 years. Since you know you have the problem make sure you check the coolant level more often instead of letting the "Low Coolant" light tell you. BTW, mine was $900 + to fix.

2001 Dmax/Alli 3500 LS 4x4, Banks Stinger Kit w/4" Exhaust, Bilsteins, VR Straps, Racor 660 fuel filter kit
2004 Suburban 2500 LT 6.0
1996 Chevy Caprice LT1
3500 Dually Club - Member #187
Agent Yoda - Member #64 A(ACLU)

www.alligatorperformance.com

Last edited by Heartbeat Hauler; 10-27-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Charlie B
Diesel Master

Excuse me, but it is the way you typed it. you said , its an LB7 so no EGR.
LB7 do have EGR with California emissions. I thought you were saying all LB7's have no EGR's, not just your truck. sorry I ruffled your feathers===charlie
Carbon Metallic-mostly stock, new injectors & FPR at 197,000 miles, 2 sets front wheel bearings, 3 sets rear u-joints, pump rub fix at 154,000 miles, front brakes & rotors 154,000 miles,2nd set injectors 284,000, now 346,698 miles and counting.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
musclecarboy
Diesel Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
Excuse me, but it is the way you typed it. you said , its an LB7 so no EGR.
LB7 do have EGR with California emissions. I thought you were saying all LB7's have no EGR's, not just your truck. sorry I ruffled your feathers===charlie
No ruffled feathers, just figured you would see I'm from Canada not an emission state
Old 10-28-2011, 11:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tolliwacker
Diesel Sr. Technical Member

Armed Forces Club Member

I have used Stop Leak before, Not in this truck, a gasser.
I used the Bars Leak with the pellets in it, and as soon as the leak stopped which was a large leak in the Radiator, I drained and refilled the system to get the crap outta there. This is just a band-aid fix.

But since your leak is so small, I recommend you try running your Tank cap loose so it does not pressurize, I had a pissing pump and did this for a year. Since you will be towing, I HIGHLY recommend you keep a sharp eye on the temp gauge because since you are not pressurizing the system, it could get alittle hotter, so just watch that!

Like I said, I ran a year with a loose cap till I got around to changing the pump, so it helped me alot!

Good Luck with your trip!

And I to have the EGR and Cooler, even though I have the system turned off, the cooler is still a player till I bypass it!
2003 Crewcab 4X4 with the EGR Valve (Blocked), Killed the Cat, and straight piped the muffler, boost and EGT Gauges, Merchant Automotive T-case pump upgrade installed, Curb Feelers, Fuzzy Dice, and Billet Grill. This truck is like a sore pecker, I just can't beat it!
Remember, it ain't broke till you can't fix it anymore!
2 Things I fear for my Guns, Rust and Politicians...I can control the Rust, I need help with the Politicians!
"The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it."
When the people fear the government it is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people it is LIBERTY!

20 Year member of Uncle Sam's Finest, USAF Retired!
US Constitution in English, Bill of Rights in English, If you do not want to speak English, feel free to return to the Craphole of a Country you left behind.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
thee craig
Diesel Master

Location: Evans Mills, Chancellor Cuomo's Republic of New York

CNY Diesel Club Member

Point I was trying to make is that things like it heater core n such can get clogged, egr is a quick easy reference for u to get the point
Tekonsha P3... 15% front tint... dupli-color bed armor with kevlar... all-on mod (best $1.29 ever spent)... HID's 6000k hi and low... fuel filter access door... pcv re-route (www.allseasondieselperformance.com thanks tony)... Mag Hy-tec rear diff cover (thanks 6LCummins [Nick]) stuffed full of RP... Kryptonite UCA's (white) and damn near every Dmaxstore.com front end component, up 2" in the front and 1" in the rear, softened by 5100's... fine lines SS brake lines and russell braided flex lines

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!
MOLON LABE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.