Is white smoke at idle always injectors? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7) Discuss the first generation (2001-2004 LB7) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2011, 01:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
cowboyjer
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Is white smoke at idle always injectors?

I am getting white smoke at idle, and a big puff of white smoke when I accelerate from stop after idling for a few minutes. Seems that everything points to injectors. Is white smoke at idle always injectors, or can their be other causes.

Truck has 140K. Original injectors were changed about 70K under the special policy because of fuel in the oil. The service manager that used to work for dealership says that the injectors were improved version, and should not have failed, yet.

The smoke is annoying, but truck seems to run normal, and does not smoke under load. Can the injectors damage the engine if I do not have fuel in the oil?
RolNLock tonneau cover, Luverne SS running boards, Bilstein 5100 shocks,
Ultra Phantom aluminum wheels, Tahoe overhead console with Homelink,
Kenwood DDX 814 DVD Head Unit, Nictane adapter and Cat filter, Fass Platinum fuel system.

Pulling a 2004 CM Norstar 4 horse slant as fast as I want to go.

Member #489
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2011, 10:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Shrimpy
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Are you making Oil? Check your oil level. White or Blueish smoke is a sign of excessive fuel in the combustion chamber and all of it (atomized fuel) not getting burned completely on the compression stroke. If you are NOT making oil, then extra fuel is getting into the cylinder some how, some way. It is either dripping from eroded ball and seat internal on the injector, or a cracked injector body.

However, there could be a very, very slight chance that your truck is overfueling because of electronics (do you have a programmer of any type?). Some of the programmers on the market (older models) are simply "pressure boxes". Increase the fuel pressure to push more fuel in. Others are timing boxes, they alter the timing and pulse width of the injection event. I am NO expert, but I would lean toward injectors.

Jim
2003 GMC, 2500, SLT, Dmax Ally, 4x4, CC, LWB (The Boat), 2008 17" Wheels and Tires (265/70/17), Van Aaken Smartbox E 70HP-110HP, 78,605 when I aquired it, (152,130 12/30/10, update 200,035 04/01/2013) 152,200 on original injectors. New Injectors at 152,250 01/13/11. I am the second owner.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2011, 10:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
streetrider13
Diesel Fanatic

my truck is doing the exact same thing and i have one injector stuck open and possibly two more that are bad. from my understanding the smoke is usually a red flag for injectors, but being white smoke could also either be a headgasket or a leaking injector cup. are you losing any coolant? two ways to check are; one: by just doin a compression test to check for a possible bad headgasket, two: i've heard you can pressurize your coolant and with the glowplugs pulled out, crank the motor and look for coolant blowing out of any particular cylinder. thats a good way to check for a leaking injector cup.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
e2_sla
Diesel Head

Call TITUS... he knows what hes talking about, and great deal on reman injectors... or Bosch ones if you want to go that direction....

Shoot him a PM.... but I think injectors, mine doing same, had it balance tested, two totally shot, two more boarder, and a fifth almost there... im doing them all.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tolliwacker
Diesel Sr. Technical Member

Armed Forces Club Member

Sounds like you have injector issues, I just swapped out 5 to cure the problem, truck could not be happier, back to nearly 20 MPG with 285's installed, and no smoke!

I drove many miles towing a 27' Camper with the issue, just watched the EGT gauge to make sure not getting to hot, got around to swapping out the squirters a month ago, and all is well, no smoke, higher MPG's, smoother idle!

Contact a vendor on here, and try to go with GOOD remans, or you could be going back in to replace them because of shoddy injectors!

Good Luck!
2003 Crewcab 4X4 with the EGR Valve (Blocked), Killed the Cat, and straight piped the muffler, boost and EGT Gauges, Merchant Automotive T-case pump upgrade installed, Curb Feelers, Fuzzy Dice, and Billet Grill. This truck is like a sore pecker, I just can't beat it!
Remember, it ain't broke till you can't fix it anymore!
2 Things I fear for my Guns, Rust and Politicians...I can control the Rust, I need help with the Politicians!
"The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it."
When the people fear the government it is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people it is LIBERTY!

20 Year member of Uncle Sam's Finest, USAF Retired!
US Constitution in English, Bill of Rights in English, If you do not want to speak English, feel free to return to the Craphole of a Country you left behind.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
wildeman
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Armed Forces Club Member

Yep, injectors. Make sure they are the new version.

02 KTM 520
09 Hayabusa
40ft 5th Wheel Toy Hauler

Member of the Armed Forces Club

Old 05-19-2011, 12:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
cowboyjer
Diesel Technician

Finally got the balance rates checked. 3 and 5 are bad. 1 and 7 are marginal. Even are all good. Shop wants $3,200.00 to do one side. Anyone have any experience with any shops in Wichita area? I think that I would like to check around a little. I thought about doing them myself, but I'm a little unsure about getting into it.
RolNLock tonneau cover, Luverne SS running boards, Bilstein 5100 shocks,
Ultra Phantom aluminum wheels, Tahoe overhead console with Homelink,
Kenwood DDX 814 DVD Head Unit, Nictane adapter and Cat filter, Fass Platinum fuel system.

Pulling a 2004 CM Norstar 4 horse slant as fast as I want to go.

Member #489
Old 05-19-2011, 01:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
custom8726
Diesel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyjer View Post
Finally got the balance rates checked. 3 and 5 are bad. 1 and 7 are marginal. Even are all good. Shop wants $3,200.00 to do one side. Anyone have any experience with any shops in Wichita area? I think that I would like to check around a little. I thought about doing them myself, but I'm a little unsure about getting into it.
Shop around or do them yourself for under 2k,, $6,400 to do 8 injectors is highway robbery IMO....
05 LLY Crewcab SB, 4X4, PPE HOT+2 E.T, AFE stage 2, EGR block plate, pyro + boost gauge W/pillar mount, MBRP stainless duals, TTS tranny upgrade (TWEAKED BY MIKE,L), PRECISION T.C., B&W turn over, Remote start, Turbo Timer, Diamond + J-L Audio, 285-65-18's on MKW wheels, AIRDOG 150 L.P., PPE SHIM & PORT, LBZ MOUTH PIECE, cognito H.D. tie rods & braces....

EFI LIVE, DSP-5 tuned by Rob- Dipper 45% injectors-MBRP BLK single stack- 4" T.C lift- Ranco 9000's....

Built Engine, "Big Twins" Dual Fuelers.. Broke crank = back to stock
Old 05-19-2011, 02:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
chriscon13
Diesel Enthusiast

injectors

With the help of the link posted i did all 8 for $1900. You can do it.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tolliwacker
Diesel Sr. Technical Member

Armed Forces Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscon13 View Post
With the help of the link posted i did all 8 for $1900. You can do it.

X2, it looks intimidating, but really is an easy job, just time consuming.

AND best of all it saves BIG MONEY!!!
2003 Crewcab 4X4 with the EGR Valve (Blocked), Killed the Cat, and straight piped the muffler, boost and EGT Gauges, Merchant Automotive T-case pump upgrade installed, Curb Feelers, Fuzzy Dice, and Billet Grill. This truck is like a sore pecker, I just can't beat it!
Remember, it ain't broke till you can't fix it anymore!
2 Things I fear for my Guns, Rust and Politicians...I can control the Rust, I need help with the Politicians!
"The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it."
When the people fear the government it is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people it is LIBERTY!

20 Year member of Uncle Sam's Finest, USAF Retired!
US Constitution in English, Bill of Rights in English, If you do not want to speak English, feel free to return to the Craphole of a Country you left behind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.