Leaking Hydroboost - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2010, 07:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jigger
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Leaking Hydroboost

I go through approx 1 qt power steering fluid/week. Got the truck up on a hoist yesterday and it looks like the hydroboost unit is leaking. It's wet and has drips on the underside. Could it be that, or more likely a leaking hose spraying up on it? I have good brakes, just power steering issues when the level gets low. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2010, 07:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
sfcjones
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Armed Forces Club Member

why not place a piece of cardboard under it. If it is wet on the hydroboost side then you know where to go. I think it is the hydroboost that is leaking as the fan would spray the hose leak all over the place.....

2004 GMC SLT LB7 CC Shortbed with Ranchhand Grill Guard; 415k+ miles
20" LED Light Bar Century Topper
Hammer 4 Train Horns at 170psi ;
Westin Nurf Bars; Nicktane Fuel Filter, Edge Insight, EFI Live, Fumoto Valve
2007 Chevy Tahoe 2008 1400 Councours
Member #67 A(ACLU) Agent Sgt. Slaughter
DP Jug Holder #3
US Army Veteran 25 Years of Service
If this great nation cannot summon the will, the determination and the fortitude to persevere, then we shall forever be damned by the heroic dead who gave their last full measure of devotion; by all those who served & sacrificed in this noble cause.
Offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2010, 03:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
mrridg
Diesel Enthusiast

Hydroboost is easy R&R

Mine was leaking down the firewall and onto the frame. Then getting blown back down the entire drivers side undercarriage.

The hydroboost was an easy remove and replace for me @ 140,000 miles. Swap out your hydraulic fluid at the same time. I should have done it earlier instead of cleaning up that mess for months! Order your parts on line. It should take you less than an hour for the swap.
Upgrades- Banks turbo-back exhaust. K&N STOCK intake. Hypertech programmer. BD exhaust manifold. Airdog FP-150 lift pump/filters. PPE turbo boost valve. Autometer Pillar gauges. All synthetic fluids. Mag-Hytec Diff cover. Bilsteins. Cognito steering linkage upgrades. Xfer case rub kit and new nickel yoke. Spicer u-joints. 285/75/16E A/T. On-board air and train horns. Prodigy Brake. AirLift Air Bags. Stereo- Sony/Fosgate/Soundstream/MB Quart/JBL. Urethane front suspension bushings.
Mods- Dash LED upgrade. Cabin foot well lights. Engine bay lights, All-on Fog/headlights. LED turn & brake lamps.
Repairs/Maintenance- Injectors (3 times- 80K, 130K, 187K). Glow Plugs. Water pump. Alternator, Starter, P/S pump, Hyd Brake Booster and hoses replaced. Front hubs. Dash stepper motors. Rear Diff Pinion seal. EGR Valve. LM455 Flasher Module. Wiper motor. Fuel filter head rebuilt/upgrade MA WIF plug. Transfer case rebuild w/MA Pump Rub upgrade w/syn 10w-30. Steering intermediate shaft. Replaced front steering and suspension- Pitman (OEM broke), idler, ball joints, tie rods and ends, UCA, LCA with Raybestos Pro.

Last edited by mrridg; 06-22-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
weldergc
Diesel Technician

I did mine too. Easy fix. dealer wanted $800, I did it in a few hours for about $150.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
mighty mouse
Diesel Enthusiast

Is there any way to replace the seals in the unit or did you just replace the whole hydro unit. Mine is leaking power steering fluid between the master cylinder and the hydro unit, it is a slow leak but is making a mess. Just hate to buy a new unit if it dont need it.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
modified
Diesel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty mouse View Post
Is there any way to replace the seals in the unit or did you just replace the whole hydro unit. Mine is leaking power steering fluid between the master cylinder and the hydro unit, it is a slow leak but is making a mess. Just hate to buy a new unit if it dont need it.
I have the same PS fluid leak, only drops but a small mess.
Maybe just an O-ring?

2002 Chev 2500HD Dmax/Allison X-Cab LB 4WD, B&W Goose Hitch with Companion 5th Wheel, Highway Products Tool Chest, Jordan Ultima 2020, Frederico sway bars front & rear, Air Lift SD Bags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread