2002 LB7 Fuel Leak - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2010, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
suncoug
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

2002 LB7 Fuel Leak

I have a 2002 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually with 4x4 Duramax LB7.

I was out of town over the weekend. While I was fueling, I heard what sounded like water gushing out from the truck. I looked below and it was actually diesel fuel coming down from the engine compartment. So, I stopped fuelling. Then, I started the motor and moved forward a bit, the fuel appeared to stop coming down once I started the motor. However, when I turned the motor off again, lots of diesel started coming down. Then, it stopped.

Since it was very late at night and I was still 100 miles from home, I kept driving since the motor was running fine and fuel stopped leaking as long as the motor was running.

I got home fine but the same thing happened when I turned off the motor after parking.

However, when I started the motor the next day to check out where the diesel was leaking, it stopped leaking. I drove around town but it did not leak at all. I went under the truck to see where it had been leaking but I could not tell. It certainly didn't look like it was coming from somewhere around fuel/water filter.

However, the fuel consumption was much much higher than usual and I could almost see the needle drop. I checked the oil, the level did not rise but I could smell diesel.

I took it to the dealer (Haley GMC of Richmond) this morning. Diesel was not leaking. However, I got a call from them saying that I need to take it to another dealer because they are not able to lift it because because my truck is to wide and long (it is crew cab dually with 8 ft bed).

I called the other dealer (Capital GMC) that the first dealer recommended but I was told that they can't lift it either. However, they are able to do everything on the floor. Also, the second dealer is too busy to take a look at my truck for anther several days.

I would like to get your thoughts. I have read other posts but what is happening to my truck seems to be a bit different than the usual injector issues. It currently has about 130,000 miles and is on a second set of injectors. I bought the truck 4-5 years ago Michigan, so some sort of fuel line corrosion could be an issue.

I would really appreciate your thoughts on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
suncoug
Diesel Enthusiast

Also, as mentioned the motor is running fine with good power. I have not seen any usual smoke. It seems to be idling just a little rougher than usual.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
suncoug
Diesel Enthusiast

I have dropped the truck off at another dealer. I will report back on what they find.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
suncoug
Diesel Enthusiast

They are saying it is the injector that is causing this.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
dmaxmule
Diesel Head

had sumthing simular to urs. i jus got mine back today from dealer, they fixed an injector line an fuel rail,
Offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 11:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
suncoug
Diesel Enthusiast

OK, thanks. It doesn't seem like symtoms jive with typical fuel injector issues. It is leaking a lot of diesel and I suspect something else like fuel pump or fuel line somewhere. I will speak to the diesel mechanic and find out more.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
suncoug
Diesel Enthusiast

Diesel mechanic says the crank case is full of diesel. I was quoted $5600 to replace the injectors. I am going to try to fix it myself.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
sfcjones
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Armed Forces Club Member

My dealer replaced mine half that price....
Hammer 4 Train Horns and Conductors Special at 150psi ; Westin Nurf Bars; Nicktane Fuel Filter, Scangauge II, EFI Live, Fumoto Valve
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 1400 Councours
Member #67 A(ACLU) Agent Sgt. Slaughter
DP Jug Holder #3
US Army Veteran 25 Years of Service
If this great nation cannot summon the will, the determination and the fortitude to persevere, then we shall forever be damned by the heroic dead who gave their last full measure of devotion; by all those who served & sacrificed in this noble cause.
Offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2010, 11:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
suncoug
Diesel Enthusiast

Wow, I wish your dealer was close to Richmond, VA.

I picked up the truck last night. The oil pressure was low. I got home and drained the oil and it was mostly diesel. I put fresh Rotella T on it. I don't plan on using it until I take look at injectors.

I am just amazed how well the truck runs, idles with no smoke especially with crank case full of diesel.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
whitecrew
Diesel Enthusiast

Could be the injector return lines and not the injectors. My return lines were leaking in mine. They are a pain in the a$$ to get to but a lot cheaper than injectors. I found this problem by running all the tests I could run with efi live and the injectors passed everything I threw at them. Replaced return lines and seals and no problems.
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread