Power steering pump replacement questions - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2010, 02:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
kstump
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Power steering pump replacement questions

For those of you that have replaced your power steering pump...are there any special tools or procedures required? I plan to remove the wheel well liner and access from the side. I would like to purchase just the pump without the reservoir. Will I need anything to separate the pump from the reservoir, or any new seals or gaskets for putting the old reservoir back on the new pump? Also, will I need a puller to remove the pulley from the old pump, or will the new pump come with one? Other than these couple questions I believe it should be a pretty straight forward affair. Hopefully someone will let me know if otherwise. Thanks for the help!
2004, GMC, 2500HD, standard cab, automatic, white, Shefenacker TTT mirrors, Ruenel rear bumper, Ranch Hand grill guard, A.R.E. MX series canopy, Merchant-Automotive pump rub fix, the rest is completely stock
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010, 03:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
RonJT
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

For sure you need a pulley puller. The new ones are just the pump/pump w res.

IF you are replacing to help your steering(unless your pump has failed), it will not help.

As far as the reservoir, not sure about that but maybe someone else can chime in.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
kstump
Diesel Technician

It's not so much my steering, as my braking that I hope it will help. It definitely seems to take more pressure on the pedal to come to a full stop than it used to. Also, when braking lightly there are spots that seem to grab more...almost a pulse, but not felt through the pedal. I did a visual inspection of the brakes and they seemed fine, however when I have a chance I plan to clean them up according to Heymcalls directions. My steering seems fine for the most part, but there are times when it takes a bit for the power steering to kick in. The combination of the braking and steering plus leaking power steering lines, are what was leading me to replace the pump and lines. If anyone has some better advice, I would love to hear it. Thanks!
2004, GMC, 2500HD, standard cab, automatic, white, Shefenacker TTT mirrors, Ruenel rear bumper, Ranch Hand grill guard, A.R.E. MX series canopy, Merchant-Automotive pump rub fix, the rest is completely stock
Offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2010, 08:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
RonJT
Diesel Master

Replace your leaking power steering lines. Especially the HP ones that always leak at the crimp. The pump to hydroboost line is the most common one to fail along with the line from steering gear to hydroboost.

Flush your power steering with a good synthetic like redline or amsoil. I would also recommend adding a cooler later on but you can then reevaluate the situation after you fix the lines and the fluid. Remember you loose pressure through those leaking crimps.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
stretch
Diesel Fanatic

I don't know where to tell you to buy but I had to replace the pump on my '01 a few years ago due to a leaky reservoir. I purchased a rebuilt from Autozone and it worked but my steering was horrible after a while. I would have to fight the wheel at low speeds and this was with factory size tires. With the 20's I had, it was even worse. I ended up stumbling on to a used pump on Ebay from an '04 so I bought it and about 2 months ago, I installed it when I did the dreaded head gasket replacement. What a difference ! My truck now steers like new again if not better (its been along time since new). moral is be careful where you buy and I suggest to avoid cheap rebuilds.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
kcb37
Diesel Master

TN Diesel Place Club Member

Armed Forces Club Member

You should be able to get a lifetime warranty with the complete thing. Pump and resivior.
I would also agree you want a powersteering pump puller/installer. Trying to get the pulley off anyother way usually results in a borken pulley. You can get it back on easy enough, but the puller will also do that too.

Other then that when you put it back on, jack it up, fill the pump, then with the key off turn the tires. The gear box will push fluid. So you can get if not all of the air out most of it before you ever start it.

I would also advise cleaning your brakes. (I did not read thru the entire thread mainly yours) However if it is the brakes you have a problem with and your steering is fine. It's probably just brakes. Granted when your steering goes your brakes do too. But if you only have a problem with one, start with that one.

You can search for this, but here is a basic run down. Take your brakes apart. Clean and grease the slide/caliper bolts. If they are real bad they are cheap enough to just replace. Also make sure your pads slide in the calipers. If they do not or do not slide easily you can file the notch in the pad that rides on the caliper. Just do a very small amount at one time. If you go to much, they can tilt and bind. Put them back together and drive it.
Also if your fluid is old and dirty it will have moisture in it, and can turn to steam in the lines if hot enough. Wouldn't hurt to flush your brake fluid too.
This is a pic of the fluid from the left front tire out of my 96. Buy a bottle of new fluid and it's clear if that gives you an idea of how dirty it is.

2003 2500HD Silverado, ECSB, 3.73, G80, Tekonsha P3, 4" Silverline Dual Exhaust 5" Tips, Autometer Boost & Pyro Guages, Mobil 1 Delvac (TES-295), Opti Lube XPD, 2nd set injectors 109,000, 3rd set injectors 153,000, Cobra 29LTD (peaked & tuned), Wilson 5,000 mileage 172,000
2005 Cavalier 4dr.
1996 1500 Silverado, ECSB, 5.7, 4L60E, 3.73's Powertrax Locker, Lakewood Slappers, mileage 190,000
1974 Corvette, 350, 4 speed, T-tops. Bright red. No tickets yet...
1949 F-1, Flathead 6, 4 speed
Old 01-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
chvyr606
Diesel Fanatic

Got some what the same problem with my 04 2500HD. steering pump is starting to make a whining noise and the abs light comes on once in a blue moon & braking is different. The pump is gradually getting worse and the abs light as well. Plan on stopping by the parts house this afternoon and pickin a pump up and puttin my baby in the shop tonight. As for tools the pulley puller is a must imo and that should be about it to get the job done. Well I'll let you know how mine turns out.
#1) 2004 chevy 2500HD LT ccsb, pushin 240K miles, turbo intake mod, ppe boost valve, all on headlight mod, billet grill, B&W hitch, high idle mod, airdogII 165 (alligator performance), DSP5 tuned ecm, edge insight cts (nick).
#2) 1993 gmc 3500 dually 6.5L TD pushin 300K miles, custom flame paint, slammed(bagged front & rear), York belt driven compressor, alcoa alum wheels, 94 grill & lights, custom gooseneck, 3"down pipe w/5"straight exhaust.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
kstump
Diesel Technician

Hey guys, I appreciate all of the responses. I didn't really put two and two together, but I have had the ABS light come up a couple of times in the past three months or so as well. I think I'll clean up the brakes and replace the power steering lines for sure. Might see if that does the trick before I replace the pump. On the other hand it would be nice to do everything at once while I had the wheel well liner torn out....
Old 01-09-2010, 11:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
kcb37
Diesel Master

TN Diesel Place Club Member

Armed Forces Club Member

Up to you. Personally if you can do it inside and will be able to later, I would wait on the pump. You will get more old dirty fluid out if it dosen't fix it. Just me though, and for the time being it's less money to spend if it's not your problem.
I have a question for both of you though.
When your abs light came on, or after I should say, have you had any problems with the abs?
Mine has been on for a couple months. Haven't done anything yet cause it was praked most of the time and brakes including abs still work fine. But my abs is on constant. Spun my tires in a little mud and now I have an abs light. I am figuring it's probably just dirty sensors. Just haven't had the time, place, or time to have the truck down.
2003 2500HD Silverado, ECSB, 3.73, G80, Tekonsha P3, 4" Silverline Dual Exhaust 5" Tips, Autometer Boost & Pyro Guages, Mobil 1 Delvac (TES-295), Opti Lube XPD, 2nd set injectors 109,000, 3rd set injectors 153,000, Cobra 29LTD (peaked & tuned), Wilson 5,000 mileage 172,000
2005 Cavalier 4dr.
1996 1500 Silverado, ECSB, 5.7, 4L60E, 3.73's Powertrax Locker, Lakewood Slappers, mileage 190,000
1974 Corvette, 350, 4 speed, T-tops. Bright red. No tickets yet...
1949 F-1, Flathead 6, 4 speed
Old 01-10-2010, 09:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
kstump
Diesel Technician

I have never noticed any problems with my ABS. My light has come on twice, both times were on start up and both times were after having driven on really wet sloppy roads. They occurred about a month apart from each other. I cleaned the grounding connection located on the frame rail below the drivers side door and I have not had a recurrence...that again was about a month ago. It is hard to tell if that was really the problem though as it was such a random thing. Both times it went away by shutting the truck off and restarting. If you haven't already, it's pretty easy to clean that ground and at least eliminate that possibility.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread