Diesel Place banner

Serpintine Belt Squeal

955 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Redapple 
#1 ·
My truck about every 10,000 miles wears the belt it begins to squeal only on cold starts, it progressively gets worse with time then needs to be replaced. Is this normal? Ive already had to replace it four times. Its annoying, anyone know how i can stop/avoid this? Its been replaced under warranty all four times. But truck now has 34 k on it, soon ill have to pay the 100 dollar deductible every time.

#3 ·
thanks for the help!!

#5 ·
put sand on belt with engine off, breaks glaze on pulleys... make sure air cleaner is on and stand back

#6 ·
i agree with jgreenlees...also check,idler bearing,or fan clutch...my truck has 49,000 miles on it and i have little belt wear on the original.

#7 ·
IMO this is an alignment problem with the pully's and the tensioners. Mention your states lemon laws. Here in CA if you have something repaired 3 times within a 12 month period of time and the problem still exists, the vehicle is subject to lemon laws. I'm not suggesting you turn in your truck, but do some research, and mention it to them and they may check alignment on thier own and fix it for good.

Good Luck,
Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.