Diesel Place banner

2001 Duramax Losing Coolant from Over Flow

6K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  BHoward6.6 
#1 ·
2001 Duramax 180,000 miles, runs great but the low coolant line is constantly on. If the truck sits over night the cooling system still has a little bit of pressure in it when I open the cap. The truck spits water out of the over flow at idle or when we turn it off. Please help I just bought this truck and it is turning out to be a nightmare.
Thank you

#2 ·
Blown Head Gasket Or Poped Injector Cup

#5 ·
I check oil level first. Searching and reading post here mentions one way to check if blown head gasket is let it sit over night and then in the morning drain the oil and watch it. If it changes to like coolant after it has sat overnight and sepearated i say a head gasket.

To read up more use the search tool and use like ' head gasket injector cup '. But if you have had only a short time it may be returnable. No idea on return time on used or may also depend on state your in.

Brian

#6 ·
If I could I would have returned it by now but that isn't an option. The coolant comes out before the truck reaches operating temperature. Could it possible be the thermostats?

#9 ·
I checked the oil and it is normal totally black. Also the heater does not blow hot air can that be an indication of something?

#10 ·
I checked the oil and it is normal totally black. Also the heater does not blow hot air can that be an indication of something?
Head gasket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.