Diesel Place banner

Rebuild your own injectors?

111K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  dieselpartsman 
#1 ·
Been researching places to buy a new set of injectors and came across a kit that is supposed to allow you to reseat the check ball seat... see quote below:
"This is a repair tool for reseating the check ball seat, the number one failure on the the Dodge and Duramax common rail injectors. This kit will allow you to reseat the body of the injector and can save you hundreds over the cost of new injectors. Come with instructions on repairing your injectors. This kit is manufactured by Sirini / Italy."

Selling for $229.95. Anyone try this or hear about it?
I'd hate to waste time and cash on something that may not be the right solution, but it sure is more attractive than shelling out for 8 new injectors.

Also, many of you advocate replacement of the injector cups along with the injectors.... Can anyone post a link to where these can be purchased? Have not seen these offered at the typical "remanufactured" injector website. Anyone have any horror stories with remanufactured injectors?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but the stealer just quoted me $6600 to replace all 8 of my injectors.... F that.

Any tips on injector removal without the "removal tool"???

Gymski
(2001 3500, 173k miles)

See less See more
#2 ·
I looked into this, it may be worth it if you had a couple with high return rates that are fairly new. But on high mileage injectors with worn out nozzles the nozzles are almost as expensive as buying reman's from pensacola. I saw you truck has 173k miles if they are the origanal injectors I bet the nozzles are getting tired. Hopefully somebody else has more experience with this and can post about it.

#3 ·
The injector shop in TENNESSEE will sell you nozzles for $85 each I believe is what they quoted me. These were for new DIPACO nozzles which is what PENSACOLA puts in there rebuilds. The injectors themselves are actually fairly simple, but the nut that holds them together goes on there TIGHT!

#4 ·
Pensacola told me they only used bosch nozzles :eek:Maybe I got the standard sales pitch and got smoke blown up my azz. Well $680 for DIpaco nozzles, aftermarket are they just as good? If so + 229 for the tool = $909. Pensacola $149 a piece for $1198 total. Is it worth the risk you save $300 don't forget about your labor and F-ups during rebuilding your own. It might be worth it if you rebuild 2 complete sets.

#5 ·
I am going right by Pensacola Diesel tomorrow, I might just stop by and report here as to how I view the operations and how the place comes across to me.

I have a Aircraft maintenance background, and I have had to do site survey's of repair facilities for some of our stuff, so I have alittle knowledge. I will see if I have the time to stop tomorrow, I have always wanted go by there anyways......

Reactions: turbovanman
#6 ·
merchant automotive has injector cups......20 some bucks a piece. real reputable place just do a search!

#8 · (Edited)
BTW: I sent an email to Pensacola diesel and the reply to my question on who rebuilds their injectors and the answer was they rebuild them. Not sure who 'they' is.

So the more info the better. I am a bit wary of them since I have read of at least two members here having to go back in and replace newly installed injectors they bought from them. The service and response was excellent, but if you have done a set of LB7 injectors(I have) you do not want to go back in there if you do not have to.....just too time consuming.

#9 ·
BTW: I sent an email to Pensacola diesel and the reply to my question on who rebuilds their injectors and the answer was they rebuild them. Not sure who 'they' is.

So the more info the better. I am a bit wary of them since I have read of at least two members here having to go back in and replace newly installed injectors they bought from them. The service and response was excellent, but if you have done a set of LB7 injectors(I have) you do not want to go back in there if you do not have to.....just too time consuming.

But we all know folks who get injectors at the dealer have this problem as well, it is inherant of the LB7 Injector....Luck of the draw.

I will post back with what I find after touring their facility, if they allow me to see any of it.

#10 ·
Popular with reman units. Premature failure....due to whatever reason.

Go new, extrude honed injectors. No one I know of has had a failure with these. Ive got 30k miles on mine......no probs.

#11 · (Edited)
I just came from Pensacola Diesel today, and I got a small tour of the place, they would not give me full access due to Insurance liability, but I got to see the room where they actually do the reman of the injectors, and the test equiopment they do the pressure checks and flow on. I spoke with the front desk guys, and they have been in business for 17 years there, and they turn ALOT of injectors for both Dmax's and Powerstrokes. They do injector replacement there as well, and the hourly rate is 85 bucks, and usually they charge 9 hours for 8 injector replacements. So with $1200 bucks for injectors, and 765 bucks for labor, $1965 bucks plus tax sounds like a good deal for not having to get your hands dirty, but I live close enough to get this done! They sell the injectors for $1200 bucks, and DO NOT REQUIRE A DEPOSIT unless it takes over a month to get the cores back, and they come with a 12 month UNLIMITED Mileage warranty. They are BOSCH Remans, all the injectors for the Dmax are Bosch.
The place looks like a stand up place, and if I ever need squirters in the future that GM Will not cover, this is where I will do my business.

As for the Extrude honed, they can ONLY do the nozzles, and the injectors are the same, just the nozzles are different. Also Pensacola Diesel says they would not spend the extra money on the higher HP Nozzles UNLESS you are into BIG HP, then go for it, but the stock nozzles are fine.

Also about injector swaps, there is no need to buy any cups, PD Has never replaced a cup, so do not waste the money on cups, just clean up the ones you have and reinstall with the glue and go!

ONe thing they did lean to is FILTRATION, they say that is a big help to longevity of the injectors.
I asked about additives, and of course they recommend Styndyne (Spelling) and they had it there for 7 bucks, so I bought some, but I asked about 2 stroke, and they said in their opinion that it does not HURT, and it should add lube, but they cannot recommend it. I will still use it though because I have in the past, and my truck likes it I guess.

Just some info!

#13 ·
I know my PENSACOLA injectors came with DIPACO install kits and I could have sworn I seen DIPACO engraved on the tips before I installed them, but I have been wrong in the past before as well. Hopefully I will find out in the next day or two iuf they work or not, hope to fire the BURB off this week:D.

#17 ·
They may be Dipaco install kits and tips,, but the injectors are BOSCH.

#14 · (Edited)
Wacker,
Thanks for the info. Makes me feel a little more at ease since I have a set of Pensacola Remans on the way. I hope to get the swap done this weekend if all the planets align. I'll post back once the Pensacolas are in. I may elect to clean and reuse the cups if they look alright and send back the ones I ordered.
Good luck with the BURB Ferm.

#18 ·
Getting a bit of crude in the injector. it does not take much to reak havoc on these injectors!

#19 ·
I hope to never need them, but it is good to know that there is a good diesel shop close by in case my injectors ever crap out once the warranty is up.

#20 ·
Installation mishaps are known to happen but my statement of two other threads where injectors from them had to be reworked/replaced had nothing to do with an installation mishap.

The injectors were dumping fuel and were faulty.

The only way to see if there is a trend, is to have people who have injectors from this vendor chime in.

#21 ·
when you have done a "few" sets you will understand. also, when you have been into trucks that had other people attempt this, it will start to make sense. return lines leaking are more common than anything.

#24 ·
the return line seals need to be replaced everytime they are removed. pay special attention to the sealing surfaces on the line itself for any imperfections. this comes into play usually if it has been on and off mulitple times and people over torqued the bolts.

#23 ·
I do not have to have done a few sets to know the difference. I have been into my truck twice and know what the issues are. We all know about leaking return lines. When you have a bad injector you have a bad injector....there is no way you can blame that on an install.

#25 ·
install error

I do not have to have done a few sets to know the difference. I have been into my truck twice and know what the issues are. We all know about leaking return lines. When you have a bad injector you have a bad injector....there is no way you can blame that on an install.
Seen a couple new injectors wiped out by rust in fuel lines. Injectors replaced under warranty after customer replaced them and didn't check fuel lines. Very pissed off customer got job fixed for free.
Would you call those injectors defective?

#26 ·
nope. The rust problem was documented by others a while ago. I replaced all my lines and rails when I put the injectors on my dime/time.

Silly of GM to pay for multiple injectors when there is obvious problems with the HP lines and possible the rails.

#28 · (Edited)
Ok Guys opinions I can buy a 02 Chevy Silverado LS 2500hd 4wd it has the Duromax with the auto alison Dk carmine red paint grey graphite with leather seats Loaded HD trailer pack elec transfer case skids 3.73 4wheel disk and abs was over 50 thou , Now it has 170 Miles and needs injectors symptoms hard starting smokes bad but sounds good ? I can buy this for 4 G Should I ? it seems like a good deal I can install the injectors myself and I will do a pump at the same time so 850 , for a pump and what and where is the beast price for injectors what do I do ???

#30 ·
Sounds like a pretty good deal.

We sell the injectors for $1350 plus $300 core charge.

You can find more details at our website www.Lincolndiesel.webs.com

Good Luck! - Titus

Truck is starting to smoke a tad, I may be calling you this winter when things cool off and I can work on the truck to replace the squirters.

#31 ·
I bought Pensacola rebuilt injectors and one failed after 2 months. They were good about replacing bad one but I paid to have it installed a second time on my 01 Duramax. Now 3 years later and about 90,000 miles one or more just failed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.