Diesel Place banner

Replaced glow plug controller and glow plug fuse and still no start...

20K views 72 replies 14 participants last post by  TOPSHELFdmax02 
#1 ·
I replaced both the controller and the fuse for the glow plugs but it still wont start... Now if onoly a couple of the glow plugs are bad will it still start or no? I almost got it started on ether but i really dont like spraying a bunch of that in there... Im getting power to the controller and out of the controller...

Any help will be greatly appreciated, i really dont wanna have to take it in...

#2 ·
Pluge it in for a hr. and try WD-40 to get it going,if you have 2 or 3 bad it will stell start

#3 ·
my block heater is bad too... its pretty warm out today, its about 40 outside so i dont see why it wont start.

#4 · (Edited)
I replaced both the controller and the fuse for the glow plugs but it still wont start... Now if onoly a couple of the glow plugs are bad will it still start or no? I almost got it started on ether but i really dont like spraying a bunch of that in there... Im getting power to the controller and out of the controller...

Any help will be greatly appreciated, i really dont wanna have to take it in...
Clip a light on the rail that runs down the side of the block on the glow plugs and see if the plugs are geting power on key up

#12 ·
i checked the power on that rail today and the plugs are getting power, but whos to say that the plugs are actually heating up?? my uncle said he had the same problem with his powerstroke and it wouldnt start but barely when using ether, and he had to replace all the glow plugs; i know diferent truck different senario but idk...

im not getting any codes either.

#6 ·
#7 ·
checked the prime twice and i have fuel... even pumped it while starting and still nothing. never had a problem with the fuel before... i've had the 0380 code for awhile but it still started fine... and one morning up north the truck didnt wanna start and it took some coaxing with ether to finally start and i had to let her run all nite just to get home the next day, and no problems, and no loss of power while driving... she just wont start.

im pretty pissed off at this point and idk what the hell is wrong... im def. not taking it to the dealer tho... cuz everyone knows they'll just bend me over... im gonna see if this mechanic i know can take a look at it but if anyone else has any advice please let me know... this is my daily driver and my baby LoL, i need to get her running!!

#8 ·
i may try putting a new fuel filter on too cuz i changed the fuel filter before i left for upnorth, and it started really acting up after i did that... even tho its a brand new filter it may faulty or somtin...

is that worth a try??

#9 ·
I ran without any glowplugs for about a month here in colorado. Temps down to 40 degrees at night. Took longer to start and had smoke at idle until it warmed up, but didn't have any problem getting the truck started.

You must have more than one problem.

#23 ·
I ran without any glowplugs for about a month here in colorado. Temps down to 40 degrees at night. Took longer to start and had smoke at idle until it warmed up, but didn't have any problem getting the truck started.

You must have more than one problem.
x 2 at 30 degrees

#10 ·
Get your fuel rail pressure checked while cranking on it. Might be injectors going out.

#11 · (Edited)
how would i go about getting that checked?? and what psi should it be at? and from my understanding the previous owner had the injectors replaced when he owned the truck and i've owned it for about 3 years now... how often do they go bad???

#13 ·
If you arent getting any codes then I am pretty sure you got another problem. I had 4 glow plugs bad on my truck and it throwing a code. Then about 2 months later the light came back on and it was a bad controller.

Sounds like when my injectors bit the dust. The truck was running fine, and then when I went to leave my buddies house it wouldn't start.

#14 ·
well according to the stealership im out of the warranty on my injectors... so i really dont know what to do now... obviouslly i wanna fix whatever it is but i dont wanna spend all that money to replace the injectors and have that not b the problem...

#15 ·
Either find someone who has a Tech II or EFI Live so you can watch your rail pressure. If not then a quick trip to the dealership is going to be in order. If they are a good dealership they should check your cranking pressure/max pressure for about a half hour diag. 40 bucks. Thats at least what I charge since its an easy test.

#16 ·
Did you take it in for diag or did they just tell you they wont be covered?

#17 ·
i didnt get it diagnosed, i called them... cuz im not gonna take it up there and have them charge me to look at it then have it not covered by the warranty.

#18 ·
well i guess the new question is; Is there anyone in metro detroit with efi live or tech II???

#26 · (Edited)
In Monroe :D EFI

#19 ·
one thing you can try real quick that seems to work for some reason....throw a new fuel filter on there and see what it does. my bet is that it will start better for a few days but quickly go back to same-old same-old. it does sound to me like you need to look away from the glow plugs and go to fuel because at 40* it should start.....also have you checked for fuel in your oil?

#20 ·
i just put a new fuel filter on it yesterday but havent tried cranking it yet cuz i found that the plastic primer scr3ew is cracked so i gotta replace that and i gotta charge my batteries from cranking on it so much... i will check the oil for fuel right now...

#22 ·
the bleeder screw leaking could defanately have caused this problem but pumping the primer while cranking should have taken care of it. you may also want to check the water in fuel sensor.

#25 ·
i was talking with my buddy about it (he's a diesel tech, works on cats and cummins) and he said one of my fuel pumps may have gone... or mayb a relay if there is one for the pumps. i turned it on and listened for the sending pump and heard nothing. so im gonna investigat a little more... any other input??

#29 ·
i was talking with my buddy about it (he's a diesel tech, works on cats and cummins) and he said one of my fuel pumps may have gone... or mayb a relay if there is one for the pumps. i turned it on and listened for the sending pump and heard nothing. so im gonna investigat a little more... any other input??
You donot have a (OEM) left pump

#34 · (Edited)
I think it is 200,000 miles and mybe 5 ? 7 years on the inj. not good,had my 02 inj. warrented 2 years ago at 189,000 miles

#35 ·
it is a 7 year 200,000 mile warranty. its an extension on the 5 year 100,000 mile warranty. i found the actual GM document online. LoL im gonna print it out.

so u think i should just take it to the dealer and have them diagnose it?

#36 ·
Fix the bleeder screw first, if it's leaking and sucking in air while your cranking, it won't start.

Try to get the truck into a warm garage somewehre to help it start if your block heater is bad.

Yes injectors are covered 7 yrs 200,000 miles.

The glow plugs are easy enough to change yourself if you want too.

My truck was doing the hard start when it was colder and it turned out to be injectors too.

The truck has to be warm and then the tech can command max fuel rail pressure, about 159kpa and anything under 157kpa is considered bad, then they can do a return rate test to confirm injector problem, and you could get new injectors under warranty if your still covered.

#37 · (Edited)
Make sure its not just the fuel pump relay on the main fuse panel. I had mine go out about a month ago and she wouldn't fire. I finally swapped it out for my dad's, and presto, she ran like a charm. I think your daytime running lights usses the same relay. You could swap those and see if it does the trick. Its worth a try anyway.

#40 ·
Make sure its not just the fuel pump relay on the main fuse panel
remind me again what purpose the fuel pump relay serves on a duramax???

#38 ·
alrite guys well im calling it a nite... im gonna mess wit it a little bit tomorw and let you know what i find out... thanx for the info...

#39 ·
You can also bring it to Eric at Merchant Automotive, he's a sponsor here, and will get it running for you.

#41 ·
yea i thought about that, but they're over near holland, MI. about 3 hours away from me...:(

#44 ·
the thing i dont understand is if its the injectors... how come when i got it started and drove it home it ran fine?? i had good mileage, no loss of power or anything...

#45 ·
It's much easier to keep a diesel running than to get one started in the first place. If you don't have enough pressure the fuel won't atomize and is harder to ignite, plus the starter turning at 200-ish rpm doesn't put much heat into it.

#46 ·
Did you try removing the Bully Dog Power Pup Programmer and see if it helped

#48 · (Edited)
Called gm to see what the warrenty was on the inj. that thay put in my truck at 179,710 mile,12 mo. 12,000 miles.The truck has 331,000 miles and is starting to smoke a bit at idle,the balance r. is ok but I can tell thay have seen better days after a 150,000 miles,I do have a new set of inj. so I think it is time,I have 2 new sets of tips 40% over x.honed and a set a new stock tips,I think the 40 over are to big for the work truck ? my have to go with the stock tips ? and the new bodys :mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.