2001 Duramax problems - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax First Generation: 2001-2004 (LB7)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2008, 11:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
LouMan
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

2001 Duramax problems

I have a 2001 3500 that I bought new and initialy had problems with the fuel rails which the dealer finally fixed and no problems untill recently. While cruising on the highway doing about 75-80 mph the service engine light comes on and I loose power and it wont go faster than 65 mph. I changed the fuel filter and put 2 stroke oil in the tank and it still does it. It never occurs while driving in the city and sometimes on the highway it will drive two hours or so before it happens. any ideas or suggestions? Anybody know of a good mechanic in Miami, FL That can help?

Thanks guys,
Lou.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2008, 07:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
sfcjones
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Georgia Diesel Owners Club Member

Armed Forces Club Member

if oyu are losing power 2 stroke oil isn't going to help, it sounds like maybe fuel pump problems or fpr is not suppling the correct amount of pressure

2004 GMC SLT LB7 CC Shortbed with Ranchhand Grill Guard; 408k+ miles
20" LED Light Bar Century Topper
Hammer 4 Train Horns at 170psi ;
Westin Nurf Bars; Nicktane Fuel Filter, Edge Insight, EFI Live, Fumoto Valve
2007 Chevy Tahoe 2008 1400 Councours
Member #67 A(ACLU) Agent Sgt. Slaughter
DP Jug Holder #3
US Army Veteran 25 Years of Service
If this great nation cannot summon the will, the determination and the fortitude to persevere, then we shall forever be damned by the heroic dead who gave their last full measure of devotion; by all those who served & sacrificed in this noble cause.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cougar GT-E
Diesel Master

It sounds like fuel starvation. What is the code set? If it's vacuum draw too high, that means your fuel filter is clogged up.

Mine does that when it starts to gel up in the winter.....

jb

No matter how you sell it, when you wake up and smell it BO stinks
Old 09-14-2008, 04:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mudding Tn
Diesel Enthusiast

got an 01 that just started doing the same thing when the service engine soon light comes on it wont tack over 2000 rpm you can mash on it and it still has power then it hits about 2000 and just quits pulling put a new fuel filter on it it didnt help

Last edited by Mudding Tn; 09-14-2008 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lastplace
Diesel Head

Mine had the exact same issue, and it's at the dealer this very moment getting a new Fuel Pressure Regulator. It seems that the diagnosis is that the return valve located within the FPR is intermittenly getting stuck open and causing a portion of fuel to be sent back to the tank. A problem that only arrises when I mash quite spirited on the pedal. Driving miss daisy around town there is no problem.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
tonkatufftrucks
Diesel Enthusiast

just got my truck back last wed from dealer for exact same thing,was setting code p0093.only happened after about 70 miles of interstate speed,turned out that my injectors were bad,got new injectors and took it out and turned edje all the way up to 6 and ran the hell out of it,never happened again even drove 200 miles non stop at 85mph,its perfect,fuel mileage is even running 22.5 mpg on interstate
dvd/navigation
westin bull bar w/kc daylighters
cold air kit
new injectors at 198,900 mi
fass fuel system
real trucks dont have spark plugs
Old 09-17-2008, 07:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
soapguy
Diesel Head

My story with P0093 was new injectors, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pressure sensor, tried shimming the fuel pressure relief valve, tried adding a lift pump, finally replaced the CP3 and that is what fixed the problem. Good luck!
2001 Sierra Ex. Cab, 114000k, 1st injector replacement 69593k, 2nd injector replacement 112000k (due to P0093 code, but didn't fix it! So I got me new injectors and cups!), new CP3 114000k (fixed P0093), Reese 15k slider, lift pump from Kennedy, Montana 3655FL 5th wheel
Old 09-18-2008, 04:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lastplace
Diesel Head

okay

so the dealer called last night and it turns out that it's not the FPR. i was pissed! this is now the 3rd part that they have replaced that has not fixed the problem. they said that now it was the CP3 and that they want $1500 for that work. I'm making them eat the $900 for the FPR, but they got me for $750 already for the fuel pressure sensor and the turbo overboost sensor. i didn't really call anyone names like "parts changer" or anything like that but i got pretty vocal about how they failed to properly diagnose the problem. i personally don't think it is the fuel pump itself like they are saying. i think they are guessing. i mean, if it were the CP3 then i should get low or no fuel pressure all the time. my problem is that when i accelerate the fuel pressure drops and the engine flattens out. it's fine driving around normal. about half a second after i initialize a spirited throttle action, the pressure drops. i think that 's some other faulty part or/and some of the fuel is getting returned to the tank. i'll let them buy me a new CP3 if that doesn't fix the problem.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
LouMan
Diesel Enthusiast

Thanks for all the info, keep it coming. It sounds like you guys deal with first class parts changers like I do!
Old 09-18-2008, 05:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lastplace
Diesel Head

yeah, i just get depressed because it seemed like there was a time when every swingin dick that worked in a shop was good and can diagnose and repair instead of guessing with throwing parts at it, etc. i feel the same way about radio shack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread