Diesel Place banner

Fueled up and now it says I am out of fuel?

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  blnagel 
#1 ·
I fueled up and was cruising along and then my gauge read empty and my low fuel light came on. I continued along and it would bounce to full then shortly after that, it would read empty. :confused: What is the deal? How hard of a fix is this problem?
Ben

#2 ·
I would check the electrical connections at the tank and on the instrument cluster.

Also check the fuses.

Mike

#3 ·
My last truck showed this problem - a 2000 1/2 ton, 5.3L gas engine.

I have no idea what the cause was - I sold it before I went digging. The first place I'd look is in the electrical connections, like Lonewolf867 said.

#4 ·
I filled up again and no problems yet! :confused: Where are the electrical hookups located?
Ben

#5 ·
At one point there was a discussion about fueling up with your truck running. Some were stating they had problems with the fuel gauge if they fueled up while their truck was running.

#6 ·
I shut it down when I fuel up but thanks anywho.
Ben

#8 ·
It could also be the fuel guage sending unit that is acting up.

#9 ·
I had a 99 gasser that would do it. It was a sensor in the fuel tank, IIRC.

#10 ·
Have same problem w/45 gal TF tank. The OEM fuel level sender located in the tank is a sliding arm attached to a float. The arm slides up/down against a coil winding which results in more or less resistance. The amount of resistance gives a fuel level reading at the instrument cluster. If I top off, the arm goes beyond the topmost winding and gives an empty reading at the instrument cluster. Avoid topping off???

#11 ·
I filled up again and still did not do this eradic behavoir. :( What gives? I too thought that it was the fuel guage sending unit but since it is not consistent then what?
Ben

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.