Diesel Place banner

Where do you stand with additives?

Fuel Additives vs. Injector Issues

5K views 38 replies 27 participants last post by  diesel66 
#1 ·
Trying to see if there is a trend. I currently run an emulsifier but since todays additives were developed for lower pressure applications I can't help but wonder how they stand up to + 23000. In short we are seeing higher system pressures but additives have remained the same. Does the emulsifier water encapsulation process withstand the pressure extremes? Does water separate in the system post filtration with demulsifiers? I'm hoping we will have enough votes to see a trend in relation to injector problems so I decided to give it a shot. Not so much by brand but emulsification/demulsification alone.

#2 ·
I'm covering all bases in a warmer climate. I'm running Stanadyne Lubricity, Stanadyne Perf Jr., and Amsoil cetane improver.

#4 ·
I'm not sure how to vote
as I have used both de and emulsifiers and had injector issues. I have been using emulsifies and cetane boost since the new injectors (IIRC) and had no further issues. Edited by: chuntag95

#5 ·
a bear; this should be a real good poll, real good idea. me I demulsifiy no injector problems.

#6 ·
I demulsify with Stanadyne. I have about 6K on new injectors, and haven't had a problem since the replacement of the original injectors.

#7 ·
Emulsify 12/24/7 and Cat 2um going in for all 8 on the 22nd.Soooooo in my eyes the whole theory on final filtering and lubricity water dispersement is Bologna. If you have the "bad" injector (s) it doesn't matter,it's going down.

Perhaps ,just maybe,in the long haul,but I doubt I'll keep it that long or any truck for that matter for it to matter ,to me!

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

#8 ·
I figured since most here Emulsify in order to get equally representative data the poll would have to be broken down into the 3 classes. Then at the end we can get a percentage from each class. Hopefull we will have enough votes to see a somewhat accurate trend that we may benefit from. Then maybe we can move on to product brands within the best scoring class. Brands may be tough to trend as the votes would be fewer but even if this segment alone is somewhat conclusive it should be helpfull for those like myself trying to decide.

#9 ·
Rotella DFA-For 46,000 mi.

#11 ·
salesrep said:
Does anyone know what is the percentage of injectors that fail? As a baseline.

The poll also gives this baseline. Just add the 3 (injector issues) percentage numbers together. So far it looks like about 10%.

On edit it would be helpfull if someone can post the different brands of additives so everyone would know which class they are in. Heres a couple that I'm sure of. Any others would be helpfull.

Primrose=Emulsifier; FPPF=Emulsifier; Stanadyne= Demulsifier

Edited by: a bear

#13 ·
I wouldn't think there is enough responses yet to say this is conclusive but the trend so far would lean toward additives (any) helping somewhat. I would think the cumulative effect of additives and secondary filtration would be even more beneficial. Lets see what happens. Hope we get more votes and this doesn't die. Really need more for a clearer end result.

The score so far as reported: Total injector issues overall = 7.82%

Demulsify = 4.76% ; Emulsify = 6.66% ; No additive = 25%

#14 ·
Stanadyne Performance--ever since I read about it here (about 15k) and most recently double dosing ("injector paranoia"). 2um pre-oem as well (again at 15k) but changed the oem @13k. No smoke yet but an intermittent rough/louder idle at stoplights (again, probably just injector paranoia).

edit: One thing I haven't seen mentioned on injector issues is where in the country the problems are happening. Someone should start a pole indicating what city and state you live in and if you've had injector problems or not. I would think that the information could be plotted on a map by some smarty
Edited by: donmiller714

#15 ·
I/VE BEEN FEEDING MY DMAX STANDYNE PERFORMANCE FOR THE LAST 40K MILES, JUST HAD ALL 8 INJECTORS REPLACED AT 81K

#16 ·
donmiller714 said:
Stanadyne Performance--ever since I read about it here (about 15k) and most recently double dosing ("injector paranoia"). 2um pre-oem as well (again at 15k) but changed the oem @13k. No smoke yet but an intermittent rough/louder idle at stoplights (again, probably just injector paranoia).

edit: One thing I haven't seen mentioned on injector issues is where in the country the problems are happening. Someone should start a pole indicating what city and state you live in and if you've had injector problems or not. I would think that the information could be plotted on a map by some smarty

Don,

Good point! I find it interesting you say this. I often wondered what the difference would be between the North and South. Problems here in the South appear to be few and far in between. I am good friends with the folks at my dealership and they tell me that fuel system problems are extremely rare. I do know for a fact that winter blends of fuels (#1) has less lubricity and film strength than that of #2 fuel. It would be interesting to see a poll comparing those who seasonally use winter blends vs. plain ole #2 which is used year round here in the South.

#17 ·
FPPF Total Power for me. So far so good....(crossed fingers)..

#18 ·
Stanadyne Perf. Form. since new. Two injectors replaced @ 9,000 miles.

#19 ·
FPPF=Emulsifier + post OEM Mega Filter ... she may conk out on the way home from work today but currently 78,000+ miles on our early '02 ('01 injectors) without any engine issues (not even a computer reflash) to date

Jim

#20 ·
Mackin:Whats your mileage up to my 01 brother?

I'm at 40k and the lope is getting worse again because its getting cold up here.

Blake

#21 ·
It's just my personal take on additives, but I used Stanadyne religiously in my 1999 6.5TD Tahoe with the Stanadyne injection pump. It's a good additive for the system that it's designed to lubricate, but I'm sticking with FPPF for my Bosch HPCR system!

#22 ·
NWDmax,

I think Mac was at 46K or something low mileaged like that....
I had 47K first year I owned mine.

Called dealer today, Injectors delivery still undefined. Other truck waiting there just got theirs. Took 5 weeks and 4 days. When they looked on the system for them , said still BO'd, that same day they showed up. So it appears you will get them when they get there. I have put 1156miles on my truck since they told me they are bad. Everything is running like it had.

#23 ·
Emulsify:

Use FPPF Total power & FPPF Cetane Improver

Had one injector act up at 2,000 miles, after using fuel treatments, all injectors check out great, running great, ( fingers crossed ).

22,450 miles, have cat 2micron filter handy, but not installed, by the looks at it, if their going to go, why wait.......

I also have a 30# maul with a long handle just in case the engine get's a mind of it's own.......

#24 ·
I have used stanadyne since the very first tank full from the dealer.Right off the show room floor.Does this make me immune from problems?Probably not.....because it probably doesn't matter if I would take each individual injector out nightly and put it to bed with milk and cookies
An inferior product as Mackin stated is an inferior product doomed to failure no matter what you do.
Owner's need to make bosch or ieGM step up.Its nice they have extended the warranty out for 01 and 02 and they should have,but my 04 has no better than the 01's.I enjoy the piece of mind of warranty but I don't need warranty I need a bullet proof iron clad injector that won't fail.So when my rig gets high on mileage I won't be sweating bullets.My rambling and .02 only.

#25 ·
I have kind of wondered if the percentage of injector failure is the same in Canada and the US?

Is the fuel cleaner in one country or the other or are they both the same?

Is the Bosch Injection system, the Dmax uses, being used in Europe and Asia?

If so are they having the same injector issues North America has?

#26 ·
Something also worth noting is that most fuels leaving the refineries have been treated with demulsifiers. Baker Petrolite is currently the nations largest supplier of these chemicals and they make the claim that 70% of the nations diesel sees their demulsifier. I'll probably drop a bug in one of their chemical engineer's ear when I return. My question being that will an emulsifier perform well in a distillate fuel that has already been treated with demulsifier. After over looking these results I haven't ruled out making the switch but right now I'm still on the fence. :rolleyes:

This is how the numbers tally up so far.

Fuel system issues while using a Demulsifier = 6.1%
Emulsifier = 10.0%
No additive = 21.7%
Fuel injector issues overall avg. = 11.32%

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.