Diesel Place banner

truck wont start then will

816 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Roland2003 
#1 ·
last night i had to leave my truck over night in another town becuase it would not sendd fuel to the engine(took sceaw off of fuel filter houseing) then today when i went to go tow it home it started right up. one other thing the mph and tach would not work????

#5 ·
As for the gauges not working, the 03 model year usherd in the stepper motor delima, if the other gauges are working, I would say stepper motors.

My speedo needs one now, intermittent.

#6 ·
Was it hot when it would not start? That would be a sign of injectors with high return rates.
What do you mean you "took the screw off the top of the housing"? Do you mean you opened it while trying to reprime?

#7 ·
it was about 70 and yes i tried takeing the sreaw out to see if it was pumping at all. it wouldent i dont now if that works but i decided to try it? another thing i changed the fuel filter about two mounths ago and decided to change it again and now it dosent even hesitate when i go to start it?

#8 · (Edited)
I meant was the engine hot?
When my symptoms started (hard hot start leading to no hot start:mad: ) changing the filter worked for while, then less and less. 2 to 3 seconds crank time is normal, more than that, you have a problem!:eek:
Once it cooled completely down it would start. Expansion in the injector body must of been causing to much fuel to leak past and return.

If it lost prime, you would have to pump it 50-60 times before fuel comes out. Doesn't sound like that was your problem. Reading into what you said: if you opened the bleeder screw and then cranked it, you sucked air into the system, you would not see fuel coming out. The filter is under a vacuum not pressure, unless you have a lift pump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.