high idle question - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Second Generation: 2004.5-2005 (LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lo-Buk
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

high idle question

So out of nowhere my high idle stopped working. All parameters are within range, throttle position is 0% and the tcm registers the trans in park (or neutral if I try it there). When I tried to de activate and reactivate it with the pedal dance I don't get the mwssage on the display that it's been turned on or off (which I think its supposed to do). The only thing I can think of is I changed the tune (ppe) with the trailer plugged in. I'm wondering if that had anything to do with it.
Any ideas?

UWUA AFL-CIO Local 1-2

'liLLY' 05 duramax 2500 CCSB 4X4-235,000 miles
Grade C's, ARP head studs, PPE Standard, Edge insight cts w/ EGT probe, Silverline 4" straight pipe (LOVE IT), 265 transforce, Bilstein 5100s , pcv rerouted, egr blocked, unplugged & bypassed, kitty delete, AFE turbo inlet, Reese wd/ anti sway hitch (cam style with trunion bars) and a bunch of little stuff.

28' haulmark race trailer
20' mgs tilt bed open trailer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lo-Buk
Diesel Master

Tried the stock tune. Still no message for activation or deactivation.

UWUA AFL-CIO Local 1-2

Grade C's, ARP head studs, PPE Standard, Edge insight cts w/ EGT probe, Silverline 4" straight pipe (LOVE IT), 265 transforce, Bilstein 5100s , pcv rerouted, egr blocked, unplugged & bypassed, kitty delete, AFE turbo inlet, Reese wd/ anti sway hitch (cam style with trunion bars) and a bunch of little stuff.

Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
turnpike
Diesel Master

do you have steering wheel DIC controls?
And do you have any codes set? Some codes kill the high idle. Fuel temp out of range will, not sure what others.

'05 Chev, 2500HD, CC, SB, Duramax, Allison, 4WD, bought new April '05-times up - off warranty, now 144,000 miles, LBZ mouthpeice, Blocker Plate & Unplugged EGR, Air Box cut out, lost the cat, 52 US Gal (196 Litre) Titan Fuel Tank, SuperChips tuner on Tow mode, AirLift air bags, BrakeSmart Trailer Brake controller, PaceEdwards cover-replaced 2013, PopLock tailgate lock, DSP Fifth Hitch, JVC KW-NT1 headunit, "AutoEnginuity" scanner.

'02 GMC, 2500HD, CC, SB, D/A, 4wd, Traded in - wrong color
Old 02-21-2013, 09:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lo-Buk
Diesel Master

no codes, no steering wheel controls.
before this, it was working for the last 2 years that I've owned it.

UWUA AFL-CIO Local 1-2

Old 02-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
kcrebel
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

When I change the programming on my truck it defaults back to off for the high idle. I have to go back into it and set it back to on. Works fine after that. I'm embarassed to admit that I had it for almost two years and forgot the high idle feature because it was stored in the winter. Remembered it this year since it's now being driven daily. Had it set, adjusted some tuning on the Edge and next day it didn't work so I cycled through and sure enough it was back to off.
Hope this helps.
Dirty Hooker PCV Valve Reroute Kit
Sinister Diesel EGR Full Delete Kit
AFE 4 Inch Exhaust Kit
18x9 KMC Black Monster XD
GoodYear Duratrac 295/65/18
Pioneer Avic X920BT w/Backup Camera Interface
Polk Audio Speakers/Alpine Amp
All on Headlight Mod with HIDs and Projectors
DRL's run at night with lo beams.
Madjack Racing Fuel Filter Access Door Upgrade Kit
Old 02-22-2013, 11:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lo-Buk
Diesel Master

I tried to turn it back on but to no avail. Unless I'm doing something wrong.

UWUA AFL-CIO Local 1-2

Old 02-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
terryk
Diesel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo-Buk View Post
I tried to turn it back on but to no avail. Unless I'm doing something wrong.
It's too warm for me to test it here but from what I recall the few times I used it, there seemed to be a delay of a minute or so before it kicked in and I don't recall the display saying it was in high idle other than where you enable it.

I know I left it enabled for awhile and was surprised when I started the truck and it went into high idle while I was sitting there warming it up (oh, that's right, I enabled high idle.)

If it gets cold enough, I will try it but someone has to be in cold enough weather for it to come on and test it for you.
E837 HD Radiator w/EOC + E837 Secondary Cooling Radiator w/fan, factory air dam
Earl's trans cooler, Longs Power Steering Cooler
GM Severe Duty brake rotors (SD suffix)
NuWa Hitchhiker II LS 29.5LKTG 5th Wheel (11klbs)
Old 02-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
kcrebel
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

That's correct there is a noticeable delay. Tested it out this am while I was letting the snow plow warm up. Probably anywhere from 1-2 minutes as a pure guess? I reached in cranked it up, set defrost on high and turned rear defrost on. Shut the door and had walked probably ten steps before it kicked in.
Dirty Hooker PCV Valve Reroute Kit
Sinister Diesel EGR Full Delete Kit
AFE 4 Inch Exhaust Kit
18x9 KMC Black Monster XD
GoodYear Duratrac 295/65/18
Pioneer Avic X920BT w/Backup Camera Interface
Polk Audio Speakers/Alpine Amp
All on Headlight Mod with HIDs and Projectors
DRL's run at night with lo beams.
Madjack Racing Fuel Filter Access Door Upgrade Kit
Old 02-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lo-Buk
Diesel Master

i've been using it for a couple years and ALOT this winter. i start it up and ho back in the house. I usually let it run for about 10-15 min while i put lunch together. it's been cold enough to activate it (in the 20 range).

UWUA AFL-CIO Local 1-2

Old 02-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
TuckerTerra
Diesel Technician

Just and FYI type of thing.... if the outside air (or intake air) is too hot for your high idle to activate, unplug the mass airflow sensor (I believe thats what its called), the sensor that plugs into the air filter. That will confuse the ecm thinking the intake temp is negitive 40 degrees. As long as your coolant temp is below the max activation temp, I believe its around 160 degrees, but correct me if I'm wrong.
This is just a way to check and see if that is what is causing the problem. I have done it before on my lly in the middle of the summer and it will kick the high idle on. The intake temp on my display reads -40.

250,000+ Miles and still running strong!

"Work hard, Play harder, you only live once"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement