Diesel Place banner

Ran very low on fuel put additive now lope

LLY: 
2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  k9duramax 
#1 ·
I ran the truck pretty low on fuel but couldnt have been too bad but anyway when i pulled up to the pump I put my partial can of seafoam in the tank then put about 10 gallons on top of that, At the front of my neighborhood i put it in neutral and gave it hell trying to blow out any crap existing inside and i reved it up a few time pretty hardcore. Now it has a lopey kind of idle and im just wondering if I ****ed something up or not. its like i can hear the turbo hissing and then it will rumble and get kinda lopey. IM just at a loss and dont know where to start . I installed an new fuel filter the other day and thats about it.
Hopefully someone can help me out.

#2 ·
1. don't free rev diesels. they don't like it.
2. it sounds like your turbo vane position is hunting at idle. which is pretty common.

#3 ·
They dont like a nuetral high rpm rev huh? Well Thats what I was doing right when it started but woke up this morning and tuned truck back to stock ran it all day like that then tuned her back to level 3 hasnt had a hiccup yet. Running great.

#4 ·
by the way why dont they like free revs and what does it do too them?

#5 ·
long stroke, heavy parts. bad plan.

#6 ·
The way I learned way back when is that no engine should be run wide open without a load on it. I can't say I have ever seen one blow up because of it, but that is the way I learned it.

#7 ·
That makes sense I was just curious if it was bad i figured it couldnt be good but I thought it would have some strange effects on a diesel. Like I said I had just done a lot of upgrades and run the truck low on fuel and put a good bit of fuel cleaner and figured I would rev it a few times and blow out any bad stuff clogged in there.

#8 ·
Also what is this I hear about running 2 stroke oil in the gas?

#10 ·
I personally would put something other than seafoam in as an "additive". If you want to use it for the occasional cleaner, not that big of a deal- but I would put some form of additive in that lubes the fuel as well..... There may have been enough seafoam in there to lightly hang up your regulator.

#11 ·
What all do you suggest? 2 stroke that everyone is talking about?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.