2005 duramax injector issues - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Second Generation: 2004.5-2005 (LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
sargesduramax05
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

2005 duramax injector issues

Hi I'm not sure how this works I've never used a forum before. In July of this year my parents were in a motorcycle accident which took my fathers life and left my mother disabled since that time I inherited my fathers duramax, I have little to no knowledge of the issues that these trucks have and am in need of some help. Approximately 3 weeks ago it was below zero where I live and the truck gelled up I had the block heater plugged in but it still gelled. I got it started and it seemed to run fine I went out a week ago to start the truck it will not start. The fuel filter was new in the fall and when I took it off when it gelled up the fuel in it looked fine I poured it out and let it warm up in my house, then out power service 911 in the filter seemed to clear the issue up until last week. From what I remember my dad telling me the truck has been starting a little rough for a while but nothing to serious. I'm looking for any possible ideas or anything that will help me I have a lot of sentimental attachment to this truck and just want to get it back in top running condition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
mtl_dmax
Diesel Master

Sorry for your loss.

Get yourself an Edge Insight CS or CTS first and then you can check everything on your engine including injector health yourself.
2005 Silverado EC/SB, LLY, 4WD, EFI DSP5 V2 (Idaho Rob at ATP), Edge CTS w/ EGT probe, LML Exhaust Manifold, PPE shimmed FPRV, Banks LBZ Ram Air Intake, RDL EGR Delete, LBZ Turbo Mouthpiece (w/ blocked resonator & rerouted PCV), Kennedy twin lift pumps w/ megafilter, Corsa 4" Turbo Back 304 SS Exhaust, Mike L tranny cooler, EXAXT Steering System, Redhead Power Steering Box w/ Amsoil PS fluid, Green Torsion Keys, Allison Deep Pan w/ Suncoast Filterlock and Transynd ATF, Bilstein 5100's (Norcal), Cognito UCA's, 17" NBS alloy rims, 265/70R17 Michelin LTX M/S2's, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, CubbyCam Backup Camera, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, Alphatherm AT-38OD Washer Fluid Heater

2011 Forest River Surveyor 235RKS
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
thee craig
Diesel Master

Location: Evans Mills, Chancellor Cuomo's Republic of New York

CNY Diesel Club Member

where about is it that you hale from? if you're in an area that doesnt get all that cold often then the fuel you're buying may not be a cut winter blend. if at all possible go to a local truckstop, even if its a few cents more, and get theirs as their turn over rate is far greater than the diesel at a small gas station. a good fuel additive is always a good idea regardless; white bottles of powerservice or howe's prevent gelling in straight #2 down to extremely cold temps. running an additive in the summer to help with lubrication, such as the grey bottles of powerservice "DieselKleen", is also a good idea. i run powerservice myself because of the availability and my truck does seem to run a little "happier" since i started running it regularly. do a lot of research on your generation of duramax, which is the LLY. it has its short comings, especially head gaskets but after they are addressed properly the truck will last a very long time.
Tekonsha P3... 15% front tint... dupli-color bed armor with kevlar... all-on mod (best $1.29 ever spent)... HID's 6000k hi and low... fuel filter access door... pcv re-route (www.allseasondieselperformance.com thanks tony)... Mag Hy-tec rear diff cover (thanks 6LCummins [Nick]) stuffed full of RP... Kryptonite UCA's (white) and damn near every Dmaxstore.com front end component, up 2" in the front and 1" in the rear, softened by 5100's... fine lines SS brake lines and russell braided flex lines

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!
MOLON LABE
Old 02-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
sargesduramax05
Diesel Enthusiast

Will that work even if the truck won't start at all?
Old 02-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
thee craig
Diesel Master

CNY Diesel Club Member

if you're gelled up completely you'll need the red bottle of powerservice, 911. that's what ungels. although it seems you've already done that. it seems you have other underlying issues.
Tekonsha P3... 15% front tint... dupli-color bed armor with kevlar... all-on mod (best $1.29 ever spent)... HID's 6000k hi and low... fuel filter access door... pcv re-route (www.allseasondieselperformance.com thanks tony)... Mag Hy-tec rear diff cover (thanks 6LCummins [Nick]) stuffed full of RP... Kryptonite UCA's (white) and damn near every Dmaxstore.com front end component, up 2" in the front and 1" in the rear, softened by 5100's... fine lines SS brake lines and russell braided flex lines

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!
MOLON LABE
Old 02-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
sargesduramax05
Diesel Enthusiast

Criag I'm in upstate NY about a half hour away from Albany the weather hasn't been too bad this winter except for a few weeks ago. I get my fuel at the local truck stop where a good friend of mine gets his for his or freightliner I appreciate your insight
Old 02-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
thee craig
Diesel Master

CNY Diesel Club Member

ah, you live near chancellor cuomo. hmm, i honestly dont know for sure if they have cut fuel that will do the job with the temps that we've had. i live in northern new york where all the fuel come out of ontario and is cut. however running fuel additives are still a good idea around here and doubly so down there. im assuming you are getting it at the pilot off 787?

MOLON LABE
Old 02-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
sargesduramax05
Diesel Enthusiast

No I get it on St hwy 20 in near duanesburg and yea unfortunately near Cuomo but the job market up here is better then where I grew up. My dad ran power service all year the stuff in the white bottle so that's what I've continued to run in it. I went to a shop near cobleskill and the guy said if its something with the injectors it could cost near 6 grand to fix and I don't know of any mechanics in the area that are reliable or what other issues it could be
Old 02-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
blkdmax05
Lead Moderator
BlakeMan

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

DelMarVa Diesel Club Member

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Sorry for your loss. There's some good reading info at the top of the page here in the stickies-
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-diesel-engines/40-duramax-second-generation-2004-5-2005-lly/
It does not sound like an injector issue really.
Full MBRP 4" Exhaust w/6" Tip, MBRP Downpipe, EGR Blocked (FE9 Emissions), PCV Rerouted, Resonator Blocked, AFE Mouthpiece, Edge CTS Insight, Banks Intake w/Scoop, Nicktane Filter Adaptor w/CAT 1R-0750 Filter, Bilstein 5100's, 2006+ Towing Mirrors, GM Tubular Chrome Step Bars, GM Bug Guard and Window Shields, Spray in Bedliner, Dually Rear Light Bar, 265/75R16 Goodyear Silent Armors on stock rims, Superglide 16k Fifth Wheel Hitch, Tekonsha P3 Trailer Brake Control

>2011 Honda CR-V EX-L<
Opal Sage, Tan Heated Leather, Factory Navigation

>2012 Kubota BX1860 Tractor<
LA203 Front Loader, 54" Mid-Mount Mower, 18HP 3 Cylinder Diesel

Help The Staff!
See an inappropriate post, or spam? Need help with a thread? Please report it by clicking on the button!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
bmr7c
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Are you sure it's gelling up? I remember having an issue last year going to Maine with ur dad. I was almost thinking it was getting air. Maybe a filter head rebuild. If u get a chance - next time ur in my area we can hook it up to efilive and check ur injectors, balance rates, etc.... I'd also replace the fuel filter regardless of mileage. I've run them for 2k miles before and had issues. Bad fuel! Replaced and fine. Just remember to always use additive - all year round. I use Stanadyne year rd. Welcome to the best Duramax site - these guys know their poop.
05 Black Chevy D/A Crew Cab SB LT w/DVD, EFI Live dsp5 tuned by Idaho Rob, SS Nerf Bars, 265 BFG A/T's, Autometer Cobalt Boost & Pyro, Digital Cobalt Trans Temp and Engine Oil Temp, LBZ Airaid with LBZ intake tube, Rhino Liner, Lund Trifold Tonneau, Nicktane Filter Kit, LBZ Mouthpiece, Air Dog 150, PPE Stage IV, PPE Deep Pan, Profab down pipe, MBRP cat back, SS MBRP downpipe, M/A Pump Rub fix, PPE fprv shim, B&W Turnover Ball with 5th wheel companion.
WWW.DMAXSTORE.COM

Last edited by bmr7c; 02-11-2013 at 06:29 AM. Reason: misspell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.