LLY: Best Glow Plugs? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Second Generation: 2004.5-2005 (LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
strmh
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Best Glow Plugs?

Looks like I've got to replace the GP's on my 2005 LLY......did some searching but I wasn't able to come across a thread that nails down which GP's are most recommended.

So.....

Based on experience, which ones should I use to replace my originals?

Also, is it OK to just replace the ones that are throwing codes, or should I replace them all at the same time?

Thanks for the help.

TH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
OnTheFritz
Diesel Enthusiast

I went to my local Chevy dealer to get mine. I replaced all of them when I did headgaskets.
Future: AD165, and Trac Bars
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dennis_PHX
Diesel Technician

I got OEM GP's from NAPA for $13.00 ea. I just replaced the one that was bad.

2006 Chevy 2500HD LBZ CCSB LT3 4X4
265/75R16 Hankook ATM RF10 on PYOs
2008 Starcaft Aruba 308DBS
Prodigy Brake Controller
Equal-i-zer WD hitch

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen."

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmatt View Post

If guns kill people, then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat!!!!!!!
Old 12-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premis
Diesel Master

You can replace one at a time. I have had one go out. Replaced it with stock and it is still good.
Edge Juice w/Attitude - 4" straight pipe (shaved the muff and killed the kitty) with 5" tip - Blocked EGR - triple guage pod (Aux Fuel, Air Bags, Boost) - air bags w/compressor and 2 gallon air tank - tint (5 back/15 front) - custom grill - pace roll-top cover - 28 gallon aux fuel tank (gravity feed) - Pioneer AVIC-D3 in dash DVD/GPS/Bluetooth unit with XM Nav Traffic - metra on-star adaptor - PAC SWI-PS steering wheel remote interface - 2 10" MTX subs with Rockford amp - head rest monitors - passenger visor monitor - viper remote start - 07 mirrors (w/ DIY leveling) - DIY pre-OEM Cat fuel filter - boost stick - AEM Brute Force CAI - 20" black spoke KMC wheels mounted with 305x50x20's

Partner @ BPW Financial Group - Insurance/Investments/Group Benefits
Old 12-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
DURAtotheMAX
Diesel Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by strmh View Post
Looks like I've got to replace the GP's on my 2005 LLY......did some searching but I wasn't able to come across a thread that nails down which GP's are most recommended.

So.....

Based on experience, which ones should I use to replace my originals?

Also, is it OK to just replace the ones that are throwing codes, or should I replace them all at the same time?

Thanks for the help.

TH
for the 04-05 LLY's, you only have one choice for glow plugs. Factory AC Delco (Beru) from the dealer. Dont let the auto parts store tell you the LB7 (or LBZ/LMM) glow plugs are the same; they arent.

The part number is 63G

Nobody makes "aftermarket" glow plugs for the 04-05 LLY's.

ben

big thanks to...Eric @ Merchant Auto, Mike @ Inglewood Transmission, Guy @ SoCal Diesel, IdahoRob, Tim @ St. Joseph Diesel, RickDLance, McRat/team salad, BigDipper, Nathan @ MPI, Bobo/team twisted, Fingers, Tony @ RidgeRunner Diesel, EFILive

Last edited by DURAtotheMAX; 12-18-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
lowryder99
Diesel Technician

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DURAtotheMAX View Post
for the 04-05 LLY's, you only have one choice for glow plugs. Factory AC Delco (Beru) from the dealer. Dont let the auto parts store tell you the LB7 (or LBZ/LMM) glow plugs are the same; they arent.

The part number is 63G

Nobody makes "aftermarket" glow plugs for the 04-05 LLY's.

ben
Don't know if it counts as aftermarket but Bosch and Standard motor products both have their own P/N now for LLY specific glow plugs.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
DURAtotheMAX
Diesel Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowryder99 View Post
Don't know if it counts as aftermarket but Bosch and Standard motor products both have their own P/N now for LLY specific glow plugs.
Whats the part number?? Last I checked was about 6 months ago, and no one else had LLY glow plugs. If something has changed in the last 6 months, I apologize for giving the misinformation.

Ive seen several places have Bosch, Auto Lite, etc glow plugs listed as "for LLY"....yet when I got them, it said "12v" on the side....meaning its for an LB7. They will physically fit into LLY heads, but the LLY glow plug control module outputs only 4.7v. So if you stick an LB7 glow plug in there, its not going to get that hot.

big thanks to...Eric @ Merchant Auto, Mike @ Inglewood Transmission, Guy @ SoCal Diesel, IdahoRob, Tim @ St. Joseph Diesel, RickDLance, McRat/team salad, BigDipper, Nathan @ MPI, Bobo/team twisted, Fingers, Tony @ RidgeRunner Diesel, EFILive
Old 12-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
lowryder99
Diesel Technician

The only reason I know this is I just did my gp's on my LLY and did some part searching to get the best price.

Bosch part numbers are

2004-2005 Duramax LLY 80042 (bosch plugs have the LLY engine code printed on them)

For the LB7 the bosch part number is 80038

And the LBZ runs bosch part 80044

Standard motor products LLY is GP115

LBZ is GP114

LB7 is GP110

Last edited by lowryder99; 12-18-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
DURAtotheMAX
Diesel Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowryder99 View Post
The only reason I know this is I just did my gp's on my LLY and did some part searching to get the best price.

Bosch part numbers are

2004-2005 Duramax LLY 80042 (bosch plugs have the LLY engine code printed on them)

For the LB7 the bosch part number is 80038

And the LBZ runs bosch part 80044

Standard motor products LLY is GP115

LBZ is GP114

LB7 is GP110
Great, thanks for the numbers, I stand corrected.

Although all the glow plugs are the same price (AC Delco OEM, bosch, standard).....around $20 give or take....might as well just get the AC Delco OEM glow plugs.

Its not like the LB7 and LBZ aftermarket glow plugs that are actually half the price of OEM ones.

Considering the price of the "aftermarket" LLY glow plugs, Id be willing to bet they are just re-branded AC Delco glow plugs.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
lowryder99
Diesel Technician

If I'm not mistaken aren't the threads in a slightly different spot on lb7 and lly plugs as well? Maybe even the lbz plugs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.