Block heater tripping GFCI - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Second Generation: 2004.5-2005 (LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Premis
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Block heater tripping GFCI

I had the truck plugged in all night last night for the first time this year. I came out in the morning and it had tripped the GFCI on the outlet. Any one else had this problem? Any good fix?
Edge Juice w/Attitude - 4" straight pipe (shaved the muff and killed the kitty) with 5" tip - Blocked EGR - triple guage pod (Aux Fuel, Air Bags, Boost) - air bags w/compressor and 2 gallon air tank - tint (5 back/15 front) - custom grill - pace roll-top cover - 28 gallon aux fuel tank (gravity feed) - Pioneer AVIC-D3 in dash DVD/GPS/Bluetooth unit with XM Nav Traffic - metra on-star adaptor - PAC SWI-PS steering wheel remote interface - 2 10" MTX subs with Rockford amp - head rest monitors - passenger visor monitor - viper remote start - 07 mirrors (w/ DIY leveling) - DIY pre-OEM Cat fuel filter - boost stick - AEM Brute Force CAI - 20" black spoke KMC wheels mounted with 305x50x20's

Partner @ BPW Financial Group - Insurance/Investments/Group Benefits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 12:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
SLT223
Diesel Master

On this site I've heard of the cord going bad. I myself have never experienced it.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Technician

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

happened to me....the way I had the cord ran allowed it to rub through in one spot and ground out on the metal causing it to trip my breaker
2004.5 GMC 2500HD lly CC/SB SLE Silver 4x4 ||Efilive V2/DSP5 tuned by Rob Coddens at ATP, Billet Danville 4094, Exergys, Merchant Built Trans, FASS 150, CAT fuel filter, MA fh rebuild kit and billet bleeder screw, MA tie rd sleeves, Cognito braces, 5" turbo back strightpipe, LML drivers side manifold, PPE EGT, Boost, Rail pressure Guages, egr blocked, pcv rerouted, K&N intake, Afe mouthpiece, resonator capped, auto headlight mod/all on mod, 6000k HIDs lows and fogs, roll up tonneau cover, weathertech mats||
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
DIESAHL
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

i had the same problem with my 05 but never got it fixed before trading it. could be as simple as getting a new cord. my fear was needing a new element as it looks like a PITA to replace
Line-X bed liner
20% tint
100,000 miles
4" mbrp cat back with 5" tip, cat delete pipe
.........^^^^^.......................^^^^^...
(thanks paoutdoorsman)......(www.XDP.com)
removed the 6.6 thingy with a fernco cap
diablosport predator programmer

SOLD:2005 reg cab lly ,sport red
91,516 miles
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Technician

i just cut the end off an extension cord and used that, works good now and the cord is longer
2004.5 GMC 2500HD lly CC/SB SLE Silver 4x4 ||Efilive V2/DSP5 tuned by Rob Coddens at ATP, Billet Danville 4094, Exergys, Merchant Built Trans, FASS 150, CAT fuel filter, MA fh rebuild kit and billet bleeder screw, MA tie rd sleeves, Cognito braces, 5" turbo back strightpipe, LML drivers side manifold, PPE EGT, Boost, Rail pressure Guages, egr blocked, pcv rerouted, K&N intake, Afe mouthpiece, resonator capped, auto headlight mod/all on mod, 6000k HIDs lows and fogs, roll up tonneau cover, weathertech mats||
Old 11-28-2012, 06:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
garrett41
Rather Be Fishin'

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Most likely a short as stated...

What amperage is the breaker rated for on the GFCI circuit?
H&S Mini Maxx on Tow, Flo-Pro 4" Stainless w/ 51" Donaldson Muffler, Ranch Hand Legend Grille Guard, Magnum Low-Pro Headache Rack, Viair On-Board Air System, Big Rig Horn, B&W Turnover Ball Hitch, B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch, McGaughy's 1" Drop Shackles, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000, Cognito Front-Stabilizer Links, Cobra Nightwatch CB with co-phase 4' Firestiks, 19.5" Machined Vision Hauler 181 Dually Wheels with 225/70R19.5 14 Ply Cooper Roadmaster RM253 tires.

2013 Palomino Puma Unleashed 356QLB Toy Hauler
36ft, 12ft Garage, 14,500lbs GVW
Old 11-29-2012, 07:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premis
Diesel Master

I inspected the cord carefully, I can't see any place where it would have shorted. Is there a way to test it with a multi-meter?

I tried a different outlet, it tripped too. I tried plugging the cord into my miter saw to see if it was the cord. It worked fine. I really hope I don't have to replace the element, that looks like a PITA to get to.
Edge Juice w/Attitude - 4" straight pipe (shaved the muff and killed the kitty) with 5" tip - Blocked EGR - triple guage pod (Aux Fuel, Air Bags, Boost) - air bags w/compressor and 2 gallon air tank - tint (5 back/15 front) - custom grill - pace roll-top cover - 28 gallon aux fuel tank (gravity feed) - Pioneer AVIC-D3 in dash DVD/GPS/Bluetooth unit with XM Nav Traffic - metra on-star adaptor - PAC SWI-PS steering wheel remote interface - 2 10" MTX subs with Rockford amp - head rest monitors - passenger visor monitor - viper remote start - 07 mirrors (w/ DIY leveling) - DIY pre-OEM Cat fuel filter - boost stick - AEM Brute Force CAI - 20" black spoke KMC wheels mounted with 305x50x20's

Partner @ BPW Financial Group - Insurance/Investments/Group Benefits
Old 11-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
PrivatePilot
Administrator
Resident Coffee Addict

Probably the element has failed internally if it's repeatable across multiple receptacles. Hate to be the bearer of bad news.

Mark - Courtice, Ontario, Canada.
'97 C3500 Crew Cab Long Box Dually 6.5 Turbo Diesel.
Rebuilt with Navistar 506 block spring 2012
Special thanks to Racer55 and WhiteK2500 for their invaluable assistance!
Commercial OTR Driver Since '95

Find my list of reference information HERE
New members, please introduce yourself HERE
Old 11-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
DIESAHL
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

my cord looked fine too. but like someone said above try cutting the end off and replace it with another end
Line-X bed liner
20% tint
100,000 miles
4" mbrp cat back with 5" tip, cat delete pipe
.........^^^^^.......................^^^^^...
(thanks paoutdoorsman)......(www.XDP.com)
removed the 6.6 thingy with a fernco cap
diablosport predator programmer

SOLD:2005 reg cab lly ,sport red
91,516 miles
Old 11-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
PrivatePilot
Administrator
Resident Coffee Addict

Yes, I would absolutely positive try a new cord before rushing to replace the element. I should have mentioned that.

Mark - Courtice, Ontario, Canada.
'97 C3500 Crew Cab Long Box Dually 6.5 Turbo Diesel.
Rebuilt with Navistar 506 block spring 2012
Special thanks to Racer55 and WhiteK2500 for their invaluable assistance!
Commercial OTR Driver Since '95

Find my list of reference information HERE
New members, please introduce yourself HERE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.