LLY: Fuel pressure relief valve shim - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (5) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Second Generation: 2004.5-2005 (LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
adam52jp
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Fuel pressure relief valve shim

When is a good time to do this mod? I run the banks with speed loader in all power levels and am curious as to if and when the pressures are released back to the tank. Do I currently exceed this limit or not? How would I know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
carter_44
Diesel Master

I highly doubt that your Banks tuning is aggressive enough. No way your pressurizing the rail enough for the FPRV to be opening. My LLY with a max effort tune would pull hard and then fall on its face when the FPRV blew open. Race valve fixed the problem and now just pulls hard.

If your worried that yours is opening just do a quick bottle test. That will tell your for sure.

"You can borrow anything I got except my girl or my truck, it's far too easy to throw a rod in either one."

Last edited by carter_44; 05-07-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
adam52jp
Diesel Head

Do you know what the fuel rail pressure values are for the FPRV? I'd like to compare them to what the Banks system will pressurize to. I think I remeber something in the neighborhood on 26,000 PSI? not exactly sure
Old 05-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
adam52jp
Diesel Head

I should also note that I have had the loss of power (limp mode) before but it isnt consistent. The banks 6 gun indicated transmission slip which ive read limp can be caused by the brief loss of power due to the FPRV beginning to open when at the top of the power cycle or WOT. This makes sense and possibly why I have trouble repeating it. Ive also thrown codes (with no way to read) which did not adversly affect any performance but was after 80% acceleration for a constant pull from 20-75mph. I have had the transmission apart recently for visual inspection and its perfectly clean with no burns or any sign of deterioration.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
adam52jp
Diesel Head

Truck limped yesterday with an acceleration from 60 (not on the 5th gear) to 85 after it shifted into 5th.. WOT. Is this a symptom of transmission slip or fprv opening? I really appreciate the knowledge on this. Check engine light illuminated after limp mode occurred. Truck felt like it fell on its face
Old 05-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
bigneily
Diesel Technician

Sounds like the tranny slipped bad, Causing the limp mode.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
mtl_dmax
Diesel Master

Don't guess if you're FPRV is leaking pressure or not, bottle test it and know for sure.
Test is easy and a few WOT runs and you'll know if you need to shim or not.
2005 Silverado EC/SB, LLY, 4WD, EFI DSP5 V2 (Idaho Rob at ATP), Edge CTS w/ EGT probe, LML Exhaust Manifold, PPE shimmed FPRV, Banks LBZ Ram Air Intake, RDL EGR Delete, LBZ Turbo Mouthpiece (w/ blocked resonator & rerouted PCV), Kennedy twin lift pumps w/ megafilter, Corsa 4" Turbo Back 304 SS Exhaust, Mike L tranny cooler, EXAXT Steering System, Redhead Power Steering Box w/ Amsoil PS fluid, Green Torsion Keys, Allison Deep Pan w/ Suncoast Filterlock and Transynd ATF, Bilstein 5100's (Norcal), Cognito UCA's, 17" NBS alloy rims, 265/70R17 Michelin LTX M/S2's, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, CubbyCam Backup Camera, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, Alphatherm AT-38OD Washer Fluid Heater

2011 Forest River Surveyor 235RKS
Old 05-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
seab1209
Diesel Fanatic

My Edge on level 2 was enough to open the FPRV. Bottle tested it, then added the shim. Didn't have a problem until the FPR went out. With new FPR, shim and lift pump no fueling issues anymore. Good luck.
6.6 D-MAX and an Allison Edge Juice w/Attitude, Silverline 4", AFE stage 2 intake with Blade runner, EGR blocked, Shimmed FPRV, Suncoast stage IV with 1056 converter, 6 speed conversion, AirDog 150, and PCV reroute.

EFI Live here now I just have to figure out how to use it!

3500 Dually Club Member #716
Old 05-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
adam52jp
Diesel Head

Seab1209.. What did your truck do when the fprv opened?
Old 05-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
bartman39
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Lone Star Diesels Member

What happens when the FPRV opens is the actual rail pressure is low Vs. the demand rail pressure for to long of a period time... This tells the ECU to de-rate or limit the engine to prevent damage due to an excessive lean condition which is called "limp mode"...

Just a note but if your truck (adam52jp) has other mods like a tuner and it being a 2004.5/2005 then the FPRV has a lot of time on it and that spring inside will get weak hence the reason for the shim mod... But with some tuners even a new new FPRV will not be enough you may even have to shim a new one (been there done that)... With a simple search of the how to for the shim mod its a do it yourself job with nothing more than a digital caliper ($12-20) and a trip to the hardware store for a nut and washers for shims... The hardest part is the removal of the FPRV but I have done it for myself and half a dozen buddies trucks... Just takes the right tools...
FPRV shimmed, Nicktane filter adapter, LLY/LBZ MP, PCV reroute,EGR cooler removed
Stage 4 triple disk-a-verter (Converter Supply) w/stock Slush-O-matic
2008 Keystone Springdale 307FKGL (33' & 9400lbs loaded, also 12' in the wind)
1998 Bullet 20XDC w/Merc 225PM w/Sportmaster & TXP-OT4 85.4 mph on GPS with full gear and my fat @zz (SOLD )

It is better to be an optimist and proven a fool than to be a pessimist and be proven right...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.