Replacing Power Steering Pump - How Difficult? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Second Generation: 2004.5-2005 (LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Descartian
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Replacing Power Steering Pump - How Difficult?

I've has some issues since a shop replaced my steering gear box with a re-manufactured unit. Now they are saying that the PS pump needs replacing along with a leaking hose.

I have searched and see that replacing the whole Hyrdoboost assembly is a pain, how difficult is it to replace just the PS pump?

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2011, 03:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Charlie B
Diesel Master

Your 05 should be the same as my 04, you need a puller to remove the power steering pump pulley, you can rent it at auto zone or advanced auto. Remove the transmission control module, I was able to just set it aside without removing all the wires, remove the top half of the fan shroud, remove the fan belt, pull the pulley off the pump, remove the bolts for the pump, disconnect the pressure and return lines. You will have to remove the pump bracket off the old pump to install it on the new one. Look good at where the pressure line is on the old pump and install the pressure line before you install the new pump, it makes life easier doing this. Once you get the pump all bolted up, you will have to press on the power steering pump pulley, you can use the old pulley if it has not spun on the pump shaft. Press it on until it is even with the end of the pump shaft , put the rest back together , add oil and give it a try. It took me about a hour and a half because I cleaned everything up real good while I was in there. hope this helps ====charlie
PS. Some rebuilt pumps companies want you to use the pressure valve out of your old pump it is where the pressure line connects to the pump, read the pump installation directions.
Carbon Metallic-mostly stock, new injectors & FPR at 197,000 miles, 2 sets front wheel bearings, 3 sets rear u-joints, pump rub fix at 154,000 miles, front brakes & rotors 154,000 miles,2nd set injectors 284,000, now 334,698 miles and counting. 10949.8 hrs.

Last edited by Charlie B; 12-28-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Charlie B
Diesel Master

It is also a good time to check things , like your idler pulley's, cleaning all the crud on the front of the motor will let it run cooler also. charlie
Carbon Metallic-mostly stock, new injectors & FPR at 197,000 miles, 2 sets front wheel bearings, 3 sets rear u-joints, pump rub fix at 154,000 miles, front brakes & rotors 154,000 miles,2nd set injectors 284,000, now 334,698 miles and counting. 10949.8 hrs.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Laureate

Why are we changing the pump? High steering effort? Noisy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
1stdiez
Diesel Technician

If you determine the p/s is the problem, changing it is an easy procedure as it was described above. Don't forget to have few towels handy since you will get some fluid spilled. Also it helps to remove as much fluid as you can from the pump before disconnecting the lines. I removed and installed the p/s pulley while I had the pump out since I'd rather not to bent over for long period of time.
4" MBRP exhaust. EGR Blocker plate and F.S. 16x8 procomp alloy with 285/75/16 tires, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Banks Ram air intake, Bakflip bed cover, BD manifold, Boost stick,Upgraded front and rear sway bars. V2 system.
1967 C20, Edlebrock intake and Carb. 21/4 dual exhaust. 4 wheel disc brake.
1972 chevy nova: future 4 door sport sedan project!
Old 12-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
SLT223
Diesel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stdiez View Post
If you determine the p/s is the problem, changing it is an easy procedure as it was described above. Don't forget to have few towels handy since you will get some fluid spilled. Also it helps to remove as much fluid as you can from the pump before disconnecting the lines. I removed and installed the p/s pulley while I had the pump out since I'd rather not to bent over for long period of time.

You're being silly. Disconnect the pressure line and let it hang low to your drain pan. Drainage time is beer time!
Old 01-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
mtl_dmax
Diesel Master

I just took my old and new PS pumps over to the GM dealer and they charged me $20 to swap the pulleys. It's just pressed on there and if you don't do it right you'll be missing both steering and brakes if it comes off. Rest of the job is pretty easy and straight forward.

I'd also install the improved steering valve (P/N 26095470) while you have it out.
2005 Silverado EC/SB, LLY, 4WD, EFI DSP5 V2 (Idaho Rob at ATP), Edge CTS w/ EGT probe, LML Exhaust Manifold, PPE shimmed FPRV, Banks LBZ Ram Air Intake, RDL EGR Delete, LBZ Turbo Mouthpiece (w/ blocked resonator & rerouted PCV), Kennedy twin lift pumps w/ megafilter, Corsa 4" Turbo Back 304 SS Exhaust, Mike L tranny cooler, EXAXT Steering System, Redhead Power Steering Box w/ Amsoil PS fluid, Green Torsion Keys, Allison Deep Pan w/ Suncoast Filterlock and Transynd ATF, Bilstein 5100's (Norcal), Cognito UCA's, 17" NBS alloy rims, 265/70R17 Michelin LTX M/S2's, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT, CubbyCam Backup Camera, Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, Alphatherm AT-38OD Washer Fluid Heater

2011 Forest River Surveyor 235RKS

Last edited by mtl_dmax; 01-02-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement