Injector Harness Repair Kit. Alright now what? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (3) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Second Generation: 2004.5-2005 (LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2011, 01:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
magnetic
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Injector Harness Repair Kit. Alright now what?

Truck was ice picked last fall with codes P2149 and cylinders 2, 3, 5, and 8. Ran great for about six months. Ice picked again and ran OK for a while. Now it's sat for a week because the CEL is on all the time or if not on startup if comes on very soon after and the truck goes into limp mode. Can't drive it that way all the time. My GM harness repair kit came in and I installed the #2 plug and wires this morning. The only thing that has changed is that I have an ABS warning light now (WTF?). I haven't done the #7 harness repair yet, but figured as my code has always been #2 I would run to lunch after fixing it and see what happens. I'll install #7 just because I have it, but now I don't know what to do. New FICM or ECU? HELP! I like my G8 GT and Traverse but they make crappy farm trucks! So does my truck for now.

Oh and I also unplugged both batteries while I ate lunch for about an hour and plugged them back in.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT

2011 Traverse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
1953drtelco
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Any luck with the repairs?
LBZ mouthpiece upgrade, BD Exhaust, MBRP DP, Banks Ram-Air with SuperScoop ,4" SS Corsa Exhaust System w/gutted kitty, Amsoil Dual Oil Bypass Filtration, Aux Radiator (Engineer 837) installed, Allison extra capacity Tranny pan, MagHytec Rear Diff Cover, Synthetic Fluids ...Mike L tranny cooler) 2008 Towing Mirrors with Leveling MOD, PCV reroute, Fumoto Valve, Mad Jacks fuel fiter access door. Running 2% BioDiesel with Optilube XPD,TTS dual lift pumps with Nictane Aux Fuel Filtration installed. Firestone Air Bags, 5 tunes from Nick, controlled by my Edge/Insight And the best part of all, no payments and title in hand
Member #5 of the OIL is OIL association.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
heymccall
Diesel Laureate

You are making the wildly outrageous assumption that it was the number 2 injector connector.

Get it scanned again for codes. It could be another cylinder, or maybe you forgot to plug something in, like the MAF, or MAP sensors.

As for the ABS lamp, if the batteries are low, the ABS module (EBCM) will not wake up, resulting in the ABS lamp illuminating full time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetSome8.1HD
Its not like I said I enjoyed reading Good Housekeeping while taking a candle lit bubble bath then proceeding to using a loofah with exfoliating creams all while thinking about you . Now THAT would be creepy
Member #21 of the OiO association
Old 09-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
magnetic
Diesel Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymccall View Post
You are making the wildly outrageous assumption that it was the number 2 injector connector.

Get it scanned again for codes. It could be another cylinder, or maybe you forgot to plug something in, like the MAF, or MAP sensors.

As for the ABS lamp, if the batteries are low, the ABS module (EBCM) will not wake up, resulting in the ABS lamp illuminating full time.
You're right about the assumption. Just trying to eliminate some things.

I didn't unplug those things, so I didn't forget to plug them back in.

The ABS light never came on until today after I put the new connector one. Wonder if maybe I tugged on something by accident while I was in there.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT

2011 Traverse
Old 09-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
blkdmax05
Lead Moderator
BlakeMan

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

DelMarVa Diesel Club Member

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Get it scanned before throwing cash at it, it could be something completely different. Have you fixed the harness rub by the alternator bracket?
Full MBRP 4" Exhaust w/6" Tip, MBRP Downpipe, EGR Blocked (FE9 Emissions), PCV Rerouted, Resonator Blocked, AFE Mouthpiece, Edge CTS Insight, Banks Intake w/Scoop, Nicktane Filter Adaptor w/CAT 1R-0750 Filter, Bilstein 5100's, 2006+ Towing Mirrors, GM Tubular Chrome Step Bars, GM Bug Guard and Window Shields, Spray in Bedliner, Dually Rear Light Bar, 265/75R16 Goodyear Silent Armors on stock rims, Superglide 16k Fifth Wheel Hitch, Tekonsha P3 Trailer Brake Control

>2011 Honda CR-V EX-L<
Opal Sage, Tan Heated Leather, Factory Navigation

>2012 Kubota BX1860 Tractor<
LA203 Front Loader, 54" Mid-Mount Mower, 18HP 3 Cylinder Diesel

Help The Staff!
See an inappropriate post, or spam? Need help with a thread? Please report it by clicking on the button!
Old 09-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
magnetic
Diesel Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkdmax05 View Post
Get it scanned before throwing cash at it, it could be something completely different. Have you fixed the harness rub by the alternator bracket?
There appeared to be no damage around the alternator bracket. I've wrapped that part of the harness with rubber hose and electrical tape. I read my original post and maybe I should restate that I got those codes read just last week in addition to last fall if that clears things up.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT

2011 Traverse
Old 09-23-2011, 07:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
JC1843
Diesel Master

Send a message via AIM to JC1843

I believe that when an injector looses connection, it shuts off that group of injectors--and P02149 is for Group B, ??. Move the connectors while the engine is running, also reinspect the repairs-- did you solder the wires when you connected-?

Sounds like you have loose connectors.
2004.5 LLY - EC-LB- LT - 64 gallon Aero tank, CAI, de-badged, fender vents, MikeL-6 spd-Transgo, tow mirrors, gauges- Putnam XDR, shell, BU camera, Cabin Filters, GPS, Bluetooth, Sirius, PPE, LBZ-MP, studs, Head gaskets
Old 09-23-2011, 10:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
magnetic
Diesel Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC1843 View Post
I believe that when an injector looses connection, it shuts off that group of injectors--and P02149 is for Group B, ??. Move the connectors while the engine is running, also reinspect the repairs-- did you solder the wires when you connected-?

Sounds like you have loose connectors.
I used the GM splicers that came in the kit. When it sits a while the CEL will go away, but it takes less than a quarter mile for it to show back run and start rattling again. Did same before new connector.

Thanks to all you guys for the help.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT

2011 Traverse
Old 09-24-2011, 06:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
JC1843
Diesel Master

I realize that these are not your code-- but good info for you-!
6.6 LLY Injector Driver Codes - keywords P0300 P1223 P1226 P1229 P1232 P1235 P1238 P1241 P1244 #PIP3394A - (Apr 18, 2005)

6.6 LLY Injector Driver Codes

2004-2005 Chevrolet Silverado

2004-2005 GMC Sierra

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in the PI.

Condition/Concern:

Misfire, rough running, and the MIL/SES light on.

During diagnosis, trouble codes P1223, P1226, P1229, P1232, P1235, P1238, P1241 or P1244 may be found.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Do not replace fuel injectors for trouble codes P1223, P1226, P1229, P1232, P1235, P1238, P1241 or P1244. When these codes are set, there is either a wiring concern between the Engine Control Module (ECM) and the Fuel Injection Control module (FICM), or a concern with the control module itself. (ECM/FICM) If there is a concern on the injector driver circuits (open, short to ground, or high resistance), it is possible to have a high injector balance rate.

Diagnose all injector driver codes using the current SI diagnostics.

If all SI diagnostics are inconclusive, inspect for wire chafes at the Fuel Injector Control Module (FICM) wiring harness brace. The wiring harness brace is located 4 to 6 inches away from the FICM connectors. The wiring harness is nylon tied to the wiring harness brace. It may be necessary to remove the nylon tie to inspect the harness. Repair any wire chafes following SI wire repair procedures. Cover the harness with wiring conduit or a suitable material so the wires will not chafe again.

Also inspect the C107 connector for wire chafes. The C107 connector is found above the left (driver side) rocker cover. The wiring harness may relax and lay on top of the C107 support brace. This support brace is located right below the C107 connector. Repair any wire chafes following SI wire repair procedures. Cover the harness with wiring conduit or a suitable material so the wires will not chafe again.
2004.5 LLY - EC-LB- LT - 64 gallon Aero tank, CAI, de-badged, fender vents, MikeL-6 spd-Transgo, tow mirrors, gauges- Putnam XDR, shell, BU camera, Cabin Filters, GPS, Bluetooth, Sirius, PPE, LBZ-MP, studs, Head gaskets
Old 09-24-2011, 06:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
JC1843
Diesel Master

OK, here is some more info-- this does list the P2149--
Subject: Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On with Reduction in Engine Power, DTCs P0202 and P2149 or P0207 and P2146 Set (Install Revised 90 Degree Injector Connector with Harness Support Bracket Service Kit) #05-06-04-047B - (03/14/2006)

Models: 2004-2005 Chevrolet Silverado

2004-2005 Chevrolet Kodiak C4500/C5500 Series

2004-2005 GMC Sierra

2004-2005 GMC Topkick C4500/C5500 Series

with 6.6L Duramax™ Diesel Engine (VIN 2 - RPO LLY)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add additional warranty information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-06-04-047A (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment on the Service Engine Soon light becoming illuminated along with a severe reduction in engine power (limp home mode). Upon investigation, the technician may find DTCs P0202 and P2149 or P0207 and P2146.

Cause
The injector connector circuits on cylinders 2 and 7 are not fully supported near the connector and are more susceptible to terminal breakage from engine vibration.

Correction
If published diagnostics lead to an injector connector, install the revised 90 degree connector and the harness support bracket from the service kit, P/N 98017958, using the following repair procedures.

Repair Procedure for Left Bank Cylinder Number 2
Disconnect the negative battery cables. Refer to Service Information (SI) for the Battery Negative Cable Disconnect/Connect Procedure (Single Battery) and Battery Negative Cable Disconnect/Connect Procedure (Auxiliary Battery).
Remove the left wheelhouse panel. Refer to Service Information (SI) for the Wheelhouse Panel Replacement.
Remove the left charge air cooler inlet pipe. Refer to Service Information (SI) for the Charged Air Cooler Hoses/Pipes Replacement (Left).

Disconnect cylinder number 2 and cylinder number 4 fuel injector harness connectors.

Remove the cylinder number 2 glow plug connector nut and remove the cylinder number 2 glow plug harness connector from the glow plug.

Remove the fuel injector harness bracket bolt.

Cut the tape to remove the fuel injector harness bracket and discard the bracket.

Cut cylinder number 2 fuel injector connector off the engine harness approximately 38.1 mm (1.5 in) away from the base of the connector.
Important: It is not necessary to maintain the same polarization of the injector circuits.

Strip approximately ¼ inch of insulation from both fuel injector circuits and, using the supplied Duraseal® connectors, crimp the new 90 degree fuel injector connector to the engine harness.
Use an Ultra Torch, or equivalent, to shrink the tubing and set the glue in the Duraseal® connectors.
Secure the Duraseal® connectors with electrical tape.

Position the new injector harness bracket to align with the bracket bolt hole and secure to the harness with electrical tape.
Install the new injector harness bracket and original bolt.
Tighten
Tighten the fuel injector harness bracket bolt to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

Install the cylinder number 2 glow plug harness connector and nut.
Tighten
Tighten the glow plug harness connector nut to 2 N·m (18 lb in).

Connect the cylinder number 2 and cylinder number 4 fuel injector harness connectors.
Install the left charge air cooler inlet pipe. Refer to Service Information (SI) for the Charged Air Cooler Hoses/Pipes Replacement (Left).
Install the left wheelhouse panel. Refer to Service Information (SI) for the Wheelhouse Panel Replacement.
Repair Procedure for Right Bank Cylinder Number 7

Remove the fuel filter assembly bolts.

Position the fuel filter assembly out of the way.

Disconnect cylinder number 7 fuel injector harness connector and cut the number 7 fuel injector harness connector wires directly at the base of the connector.
Important: It is not necessary to maintain the same polarization of the injector circuits.

Strip approximately ¼ inch of insulation from both fuel injector circuits and, using the supplied Duraseal® connectors, crimp the new 90 degree fuel injector connector to the engine harness.
Use an Ultra Torch, or equivalent, to shrink the tubing and set the glue in the Duraseal® connectors.
Secure the Duraseal® connectors with electrical tape.

Install the new injector harness bracket to the upper valve cover.
Install the injector harness bracket bolts supplied with the kit.
Tighten
Tighten the injector harness bracket bolts to 20 N·m (15 lb ft).

Connect the cylinder number 7 injector harness connector.

Install the injector harness to the bracket as shown.
Install the fuel filter assembly.
Install the fuel filter assembly bolts.
Tighten
Tighten the fuel filter assembly bolts to 20 N·m (15 lb ft).

Connect the negative battery cables. Refer to Service Information (SI) for the Battery Negative Cable Disconnect/Connect Procedure (Single Battery) and Battery Negative Cable Disconnect/Connect Procedure (Auxiliary Battery).
Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Qty

Injector Connectors #2 and #7 Service Repair Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement