P0046??? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Second Generation: 2004.5-2005 (LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2005, 08:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
galawnmgmt
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

P0046???

I have searched and found little info.....

I have a 05 lly with no cat, no muff, finger stick, blocker plate, and edge j/a. I have had this setup for about two months and the truck has about 8500 miles and all the sudden I got this code!! I don't want to take it to the dealer if any of these mods have caused this without putting everything back stock. Can someone give me some input on how to fix this or what caused it??!!

Thanks in advance
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2005, 08:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Max Payne
Diesel Master

DTC P0046
Circuit Description
The position of the turbocharger vanes is controlled by the engine control module (ECM). The ECM utilizes a turbocharger vane control solenoid valve and a turbocharger vane position sensor to control the turbocharger vanes. When the engine is not under load, the turbocharger vanes are in an open position, or no boost condition. When the engine is under load, the ECM commands the control solenoid valve to close the turbocharger vanes, thus increasing the boost. The ECM will vary the boost dependant upon the load requirements of the engine. The vane control solenoid valve uses 2 circuits, a control circuit and a low reference circuit. The ECM uses a pulse width modulation (PWM) on the control circuit to control the solenoid valve. The ECM provides a ground on the low reference circuit. If the ECM detects that the commanded position of the turbocharger vanes does not match the actual position, DTC P0046 will set.

DTC Descriptor
This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTC:

DTC P0046 Turbocharger Vane Control Position Performance

Conditions for Running the DTC
The ignition is ON.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
The ECM detects that the commanded position of the turbocharger vanes does not match the actual position.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.
The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The first time the diagnostic fails, the control module stores this information in the Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive ignition cycle, the control module records the operating conditions at the time of the failure. The control module writes the operating conditions to the Freeze Frame and updates the Failure Records.
Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC
The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.

A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.

A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.

Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.

Diagnostic Aids
If any service has been performed on the turbocharger or on the turbocharger components, a turbocharger relearn must be performed. Failure to perform the turbocharger learn procedure may cause this DTC to set. Refer to Turbocharger Learn Procedure .
For an intermittent condition, refer to Intermittent Conditions .
03 D/A EC/SB Summit White, Lift Kit Removed, 2006 Extreme Makeover, Fabtech HD Tie-Rods, Cognito Pitman/Idler Supports, 275/70R16 General Grabber UHP on PYO's, Hi-Idle w/ "Max Payne Launch Control", AFE 2, MAF Sensor Zener Diode Mod, Max Payne 5" Miter-cut Stack, Stewart-Warner Pyro/Boost/Fuel Pressure,Trippin Pickup/-10AN Hose, Holley HP125 Lift Pump, PML Pans, Suncoast T-Case Brace
BD Supermax Turbo
TTS Xtreme, Thanks Steve 12.71 @ 105.12 #2 1.78 60FT (7100# 6" on 315's)
Suncoast Level 5/ATS Co-Pilot Thanks Mike L.
ATS Dual CP3 Thanks Wade
Kent Moonshine Plus, Thanks Tony 11.98 @ 112.3 #2 1.74 60FT (6250# no lift on 265's)
BONE STOCK SUMMIT WHITE 2007 CC/SB LT2 LBZ/6 SPEED ALLISON in the driveway!
Support your local GM Tech
"We build them right the second time"
Offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2005, 08:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
galawnmgmt
Diesel Enthusiast

OK.....The CEL has went off and came back on about 3 or 4 times now and this has been going on for about the last 3 weeks!! I trun the truck off and on a bunch of times during the day because I do mow grass and do landscaping so it goes through many cycles a day. I guess I need to know what caused this to happen??
Old 08-24-2005, 07:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
86underboost
Diesel Technician

i had a juice module give me that code. Unplug the juice and see what happens. Just a thought...
Old 08-24-2005, 11:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
galawnmgmt
Diesel Enthusiast

I have unplugged it and had the same result and same code. I also noticed when i unplugged the juice, as I was going down the road and in the throttle and as I would let off the throttle I would hear a mild "turbo bark." I have heard of this happening when someone goes WOT and lets out and make this noise but it is like when the truck is making like 7 psi, and it will only do this when the juice is unplugged!?!? Makes NO sense to me!!!! Thanks for the suggestion tho!! ANYONE ELSE HAVE ANY IDEAS?

Thanks again
Old 08-25-2005, 05:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
galawnmgmt
Diesel Enthusiast

Anyone else??

I put everything back to stock except for the fingerstick and I am getting a TON of "turbo bark." It sounds like something is gonna pop!!! I have an appt. with the dealer tomorrow to try to get this fixed. I went to advance auto parts and they pulled the code and got this:

p0046
turbo/super boost
control solenoid
CKT Range/Perf

What is this solenoid do?? Does it have anything to do with the turbo bark?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread