Plugging in the Block Heater - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (1) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Second Generation: 2004.5-2005 (LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By k9duramax

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rob Williams
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Plugging in the Block Heater

I always have my truck plugged in when it gets cold around here. I leave it plugged in until Spring. One night I forgot to plug it in because I was in a hurry to get inside. The next morning I could not keep the truck running to save my life. It would not even idle correctly, until I plugged it in and tried it again a couple hours later. Until I started plugging it in, I never had any trouble like that before. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2011, 09:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
k9duramax
Supporting Vendor

How cold is cold, and how cold was it the morning it wouldn't run?

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2011, 10:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
skleppy
Diesel Master

Armed Forces Club Member

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

That doesn't sound right...are your glow plugs working? I've started mine at -20 deg C and it goes over on the first shot. There's another post in this forum toughting the cold weather starting abilities of our trucks. The OP of that post said his went over at -37 deg I believe.

How cold is cold, do you run the summer diesel out of your truck before winter and then park it with a full tank, and are you running any additives for the winter?
PPE 120HP Tune
PPE Stage 4 Trans - Built by me with an ML TC
EGR blocked, unplugged and turned off
AEM intake, Plugged resonator, LBZ MP - best intake for an LLY IMO
Custom tranny cooler - by ME
Magnaflow 4" stainless turbo back duals
Autometer Coblat Triple Pillar
FS-2500 bypass with Top Dog Oil filter adapter

"For those of you who confuse horsepower with torque, horsepower is how fast you hit the wall;
torque is how far you shove it back when you hit it"
Old 03-05-2011, 07:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rob Williams
Diesel Enthusiast

Thanks soo much for the responses, I live in Maryland, a little town just 10 minutes outside of Washington DC. It was very cold that day it happened, probably high teens. When I tried to start the truck, it was running soo rough, I couldn't take my foot off the pedal without it slugging down and almost quit running. The check engine light was on too. It was then I noticed I forgot to plug it in the night before. My son suggested I plug it in, and wait a while, which I did and it was fine. I have left it plugged in every night since that episode. I never had this happen before, and I bought the truck new in 2005. It has approximately 18,000 miles on it. You will probably think this is stupid, but, could the truck have gotten used to being plugged in all the time, then, when I forgot to plug it in that night, it was reacting to not being plugged in? Can a diesel motor do that? I hope my posts don't sound too stupid, I have a lot to learn, but what is Winter diesel and Summer diesel mentioned in Skleppy's response? Also, I didn't know I was supposed to put additives in the tank during the Winter.

Thanks for reading
Rob
Old 03-05-2011, 08:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Charlie B
Diesel Master

I lived in maryland for over 4 years , never had a starting problem in the winter. the block heater is a separate system over the electronics of the truck. It is just a heater that warms the antifreeze in the truck, thus warming the block and the oil some what for an easier start in the cold. Does your glow plug light on the dash light up when you turn the ignition on and do you wait until this light goes off before turning the key to start the truck. These trucks have the glow plugs the warm the cylinders and fuel, a intake air heater that warms the air entering the engine and a fuel heater that warms the fuel if the temperature gets below 46 degrees F. I would suggest checking the glow plugs to make sure they are working properly. Charlie
Carbon Metallic-mostly stock, new injectors & FPR at 197,000 miles, 2 sets front wheel bearings, 3 sets rear u-joints, pump rub fix at 154,000 miles, front brakes & rotors 154,000 miles,2nd set injectors 284,000, now 346,698 miles and counting.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Randy Briggs
Diesel Fanatic

I live in western Md. I also have a 2005 that I bought new It has 71500 on It and I only plug It In If I need to go out early, sometimes It sits for a week at a time It has started In the teens with only the glow plugs, I think you may have some bad glow plugs.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
k9duramax
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Williams View Post
Thanks soo much for the responses, I live in Maryland, a little town just 10 minutes outside of Washington DC. How long were your glow plugs lit up- as long as usual, shorter or longer? It was very cold that day it happened, probably high teens. When I tried to start the truck, it was running soo rough, I couldn't take my foot off the pedal without it slugging down and almost quit running. The check engine light was on too. Did you fuel up last at your "usual" station, or somewhere different? If it was your "usual", look at the pumps and see if it uses what is called a "winter blend", or if they are only marked #2 and #1. It was then I noticed I forgot to plug it in the night before. My son suggested I plug it in, and wait a while, which I did and it was fine. I have left it plugged in every night since that episode. It is unnecessary to plug it in "all night", etc. A few hours is all that's needed, and even in the 20's it's not needed to be plugged in. Most of the newer/updated cords actually won't even allow the block heater to kick on until around 0 I believe. Mine has started at -35F, with no heater plugged in and the glows were probably on around 7 seconds. I never had this happen before, and I bought the truck new in 2005. It has approximately 18,000 miles on it. You will probably think this is stupid, but, could the truck have gotten used to being plugged in all the time, then, when I forgot to plug it in that night, it was reacting to not being plugged in? Can a diesel motor do that? No, there is another issue. I hope my posts don't sound too stupid, Don't worry about it, we've all been there, done that. I have a lot to learn, but what is Winter diesel and Summer diesel mentioned in Skleppy's response? Also, I didn't know I was supposed to put additives in the tank during the Winter.

Thanks for reading
Rob
Rob,
First off, as an FYI it is ALWAYS a good idea to run additives, with the ULSD now, a lot of the lubrication is out of the fuel- additives help replace that. There are a few good products out there for this, Amsoil makes AMSOIL concentrate and cold flow performance Improver and will help you tremendously. A lot of people (as well as me in the past) have used Stanadyne and had great luck with that (Performance Formula- takes care of gelling, and lubrication). The thing that you have to worry about is staying AWAY from products with alcohol in them- it drys seals out. I have the feeling that you gelled/iced up. If you are in the teens and only had straight #2 in your tank, you may have gelled/iced. This will cause crap running conditions as well. For only getting to the low teens, you should be able to run straight #2 with an additive and be fine. I would recommend changing your fuel filter out, then getting an additive in it and topping off with fresh fuel. The reason I recommend changing your filter out anyway, is if it has gelled on you, the wax particles are still in there and it will "plug" easier on you the next go around. For those temps, there is no need to plug in- the Dmax will be just fine.

Last edited by k9duramax; 03-05-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
kalmbach
Diesel Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Williams View Post
You will probably think this is stupid, but, could the truck have gotten used to being plugged in all the time, then, when I forgot to plug it in that night, it was reacting to not being plugged in? Can a diesel motor do that?
absolutely true !
I am totally convinced my truck took on the personality of my ex wife!

Every time something goes wrong all I hear in my head is "YOUR GONNA PAY DEARLY FOR THAT ONE MISTER! It might as well be printed in the dashboard DIC And noooo ...nothing i'm gonna do to that truck is gonna be cheap either... its gonna cost me one leg, a right nut and four toes too! Make it do something it doesn't wanna do and it will let you know exactly how it feels! Like its having its own little temper tantrums! Sound familiar!

Some days i wonder who really is in control behind that wheel

Getting back on topic I would tend to agree that fuel quality is a problem ... i dont know what happens in the US for fuel but we have some really premium fuel blends up here in northern canada for winter fuels and none of us seems to get this gelling problem.
You do happen to see on very cold days some of the 18 wheelers dead on the hiway knowing full well they filled up down south before coming up

Additives are good ....very good... as explained for other reasons besides gelling

Cold starts.... when its that cold expect it too rough rough for a bit ... i thinks it fairly normal for a few minutes then let it kick in to high idle on its own. Expect a ton of smoke too.... when the engine is that cold it cant burn any fuel properly till it warms up

Just my two cents worth... i think you are worrying for nothing
2005 2500HD Crew SLT LLY, Airbrushing by Tombstone Airbrush Art EFILive & DSP5 custom tuned by Nick at DuramaxTuner.com . ARP Head Studs , ATS Intake, Banks Intercooled & upgraded Turbo.5" stainless down pipe is custom fabbed to fit between firewall and engine splitting to Dual Exhaust discharged out the pass side of the box in front of the wheel ...all pipe ...no silencer! Custom built Drag Racing tranny (sorry no name but guaranteed to 1200hp - bought from drag racing truck turned tractor puller) , torque converter upgrade & Co-Pilot ATS Controller Spicer driveline 4" Rancho Suspension Lift, 16.5" American Racing Wheels & Hancook M&S 315's, Baja kit for the spare, Wrap around 35 gallon fuel tank in the box with constant feed to the main tank, 5 amp inverter dual outlet , Eclipse Sound/Nav/DVD System using the factory Bose speakers with four 10" subwoofers & Kicker controller, two DVD screens, built-in Bell RX75 Laser Jammer and Radar Detector, HID Projection Headlamps, PIAA Lighting everywhere (360 degrees of lighting) Relaxor Massaging Drivers Seat....cozy! Label inside truck says :One of 1000 Z-71 SKI-Doo Special Edition series
Old 03-05-2011, 01:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
skleppy
Diesel Master

Armed Forces Club Member

You also mentioned that it had a check engine light on...did you scan it to see what codes came up?
PPE 120HP Tune
PPE Stage 4 Trans - Built by me with an ML TC
EGR blocked, unplugged and turned off
AEM intake, Plugged resonator, LBZ MP - best intake for an LLY IMO
Custom tranny cooler - by ME
Magnaflow 4" stainless turbo back duals
Autometer Coblat Triple Pillar
FS-2500 bypass with Top Dog Oil filter adapter

"For those of you who confuse horsepower with torque, horsepower is how fast you hit the wall;
torque is how far you shove it back when you hit it"
Old 03-05-2011, 09:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
roy67ss
Diesel Technician

^^^^I agree, see what code you have. You shouldn't need to plug in at all if the temps are above 0*F. It's not even cold yet at 18*

2006 Chev 2500HD CCSB 4x4 LBZ, Leather and sunroof, 430,000km
- pyrometer and boost gauges in Trippin overhead console mount
- EGR blocker plate and bypassed EGR cooler, PVC reroute, cat delete, 5" MBRP exhaust w/6" tip
- EFI Live and DSP5 tunes by Idaho Rob

2007 GMC Classic 3500 ECLB 4x4 LBZ SRW Leather & sunroof, 143,000km
- pyrometer and boost gauges in Trippin overhead console mount
- EGR blocker plate and bypassed EGR cooler, PCV reroute
- 4" exhaust turbo back, cat delete, dual outlets to 5" tips
- EFI Live and DSP5 tunes by Idaho Rob

Alberta Coal Rollers Member #24

Last edited by roy67ss; 03-05-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.