Diesel Place banner

Disappearing Coolant?

LLY: 
3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  3rddmax 
#1 ·
I just bought my 3rd duramax an 05 lly with 138000 miles. After i bought it i found out through my local dealer that they wouldnt take it in trade because of frame damage when the truck was new. Biggest problem they said that the previous owner had to add coolant every 60 miles... this is after the pruchase i find this out. the dealer i purchased it from told me it had been wrecked but hid the frame damage from me... go figure. just wondering where the coolant could be going i havent seen any leaks so am i am puzzled havent driven the truck but 70 miles and the low coolant light already came in on me.

#2 ·
We are seeing lots of LLY head gasket problems with vehicles around 100k plus miles. does it push coolant out the reservoir-? Is the top radiator hose hard after the truck sits over night-? These are common problems for a bad head gasket.

Another is the water pump-- look at the lower radiator hose-- does it show stains where coolant runs down-?

I don't know about the frame or what legal right you have--??

#5 ·
We are seeing lots of LLY head gasket problems with vehicles around 100k plus miles. does it push coolant out the reservoir-? Is the top radiator hose hard after the truck sits over night-? These are common problems for a bad head gasket.

Another is the water pump-- look at the lower radiator hose-- does it show stains where coolant runs down-?

I don't know about the frame or what legal right you have--??

I dont know about any leaks had it at the dealer all for brake work. I found out about the problems from a salesman that wouldnt take it in for trade. Nice to live in a small town.

#3 · (Edited)
Take it back under lemon law, and if they wont, get a lawyer.

Sounds like fraud to me.

#4 ·
Take it back under lemon law, and if they wont, get a lawyer.

Sounds like fraud to me.
I was talking to a buddy of mine and he said the same thing or make them pay to fix it right and give me a waranty. I like the truck the frame damage was done when the truck was 6 weeks old. Beware of dealers they can use carfax and auto check and get to different reports. I know the local newspaper only charges 150 for an half page add and i know the onwer pretty good!!!

#6 ·
If they didn't disclose to you the damage, take it back or lawyer up. Either way, they've got to make it right.

#8 ·
You screw around they'll call it buyer's remorse...

Have a lawyer send them a certified letter stating you want compensation for buying a wrecked truck, and you want the cooling system fixed so it does not use coolant.

If they are unwilling to do either, you want your money back.

Don't wait, that's what they want you to do.

#9 ·
You screw around they'll call it buyer's remorse...

Have a lawyer send them a certified letter stating you want compensation for buying a wrecked truck, and you want the cooling system fixed so it does not use coolant.

If they are unwilling to do either, you want your money back.

Don't wait, that's what they want you to do.
I will be on the phone a lot tommorow. I am not afraid to go to the local papers with this either. They better make it right. I am just worried about any damage that might have been done to the truck by running it hot.

#11 ·
As-is assumes that all information regarding defects are disclosed. Non disclosure smacks of fraud.

#12 ·
Just started having the same issue, pressuring up may not tell you anything. I put 40 psi on the entire cooling system, and left it overnight and it held like a mason jar. It's bound to be a head gasket on mine, the rest of the system appears tight as Dick's hatband. Looks like I will be pulling the heads soon.

#13 ·
My dealer said they could also pull the glow plugs and pressure each cylinder individually at 175 psi and see if the coolant reservior bubbles.
I talked to the dealer and they told me they did not know of any coolant leaks which is BS because the previous onwer said he told them when he traded it. Told me that they do not have to do anything. the BBB will hear from me because I will not let this stand. Might even take out a nice little add in there local paper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.