trying to replace frp, can't remove the bolts - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (3) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Second Generation: 2004.5-2005 (LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2010, 04:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
blctalon
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

trying to replace frp, can't remove the bolts

I'm following a GM removal procedure in a .pdf document that is floating around here on a couple threads. No problem removing everything and having visual access to the FPR. My problem now is, the t-25 I have hits on the housing of the FPR. If my bit did fit in the bolts without hitting on the housing I'd still be lost as to how to reach the bolts. Someone suggested using a 1/4" with a T-25 and 2", well that's what I'm using. I also have a 1/4" wobbly and there's still no going because the angle is too tight and the wobbly binds up.

Most the pictures and even the writeup seem to be geared towards the LB7 engine. And being as though I have an LB7 sitting right next to my truck getting the water pump done, it seems to look like the images. There is no note about the large aluminum EGR tube coming up from under the turbo and out the intake manifold that's blocking all access to these little bolts. I thought about taking that thing off but there's more bolts/nuts that I can't gain access on the bottom of it.

What do I need to get this replaced and get my truck back on the rode?
TXCAI
PCV Rerouted
EGR Blocked
Predator 2.02
Valair Ceramic Dual Disk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2010, 06:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
mountainar15
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

you have to take the EGR manifold and the intake elbow that goes below the turbo off. Here's how;
1. Loosen 7/16 clamp on boot that holds the intake charge tube to the EGR manifold (passenger side of the engine). Separate the charge tube boot from the EGR manifold.

2. There are 4 12mm bolts that hold the EGR manifold in place (actually 3 nuts and one bolt I think). Remove them.

3. There are 2 12mm bolts/nuts that hold the EGR manifold to the intake elbow. Remove them.

4. Lift the EGR manifold off and set it off to the side. You may have to cut the zip ties that hold the wire harness to it.

5. Remove the intake elbow by twisting it back and forth and pulling it back. There are two O-rings around it that seal it in the intake manifold. Don't damage them. Grease the o-rings when you put the elbow back in.

Now there should be more room for your 1/4-drive T25 tools to remove the three bolts holding the FPR to the CP3 pump. I usually use a 1/4-drive ratchet with a 1-inch extension and a t25 socket.

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2010, 09:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
blctalon
Diesel Technician

I ended up taking it off already, just as you said. Those 2 o-rings in the elbow are pretty stubborn. Either that or the "soot" build up was holding it in there good. The EGR tube looks like shit. There's almost .5" buildup of oily ash stuff in some parts. I suppose I should take the time to clean this out while I got the tube off. Now I know why people block their EGRs..wish I had a plate to throw on there while I got it all apart.

My 2 socketed torx I had did not work because they still hit the housing of the FPR and wouldn't stay in straight. I ended up getting a little wrench kit that looks like hex wrenches but they're torx. Then I was able to put the long end of the torx wrench into the heads and use a 5mm deep socket on the little end of the torx for leverage. Tight work space and a days worth of frustration ended up taking way longer than it should. The new FPR is on, but I have to button all the pieces back up tomorrow.
TXCAI
PCV Rerouted
EGR Blocked
Predator 2.02
Valair Ceramic Dual Disk
Old 02-07-2010, 05:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
blctalon
Diesel Technician

pics

Some pics.

What it looks like with all the stuff out of the way. The new FPR installed. I had the fuel line behind it removed when I installed the new one, but other than that that's how it has to look to get to the thing. The rest of of dirty EGR pipes. I cleaned those out but didn't take pics of the clean tubes. Last pic is a fun pile of stuff.

What I learned is you probably don't have to remove the alternator or disconnect the main electrical harnesses. Also, you can leave the water outlet tube connected to the top part of the thermostat housing so you don't have to worry about that oring in there. I was lucky and got away with not having to purchase a single gasket. I was able to re-use all the orings/gaskets. The tool I used is in above post.

After all this, I don't think it fixed my light throttle/slow speed surge. It's a dick of a job and I hope to never do it again.

I do need to reroute my pcv and possible block my EGR. Most people are saying the PCV is where all the soot comes from but the tubes in the pic are connected to the EGR and go directly into the intake. I believe the PCV is entering the system from the other side but maybe I'm wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
trying to replace frp, can't remove the bolts-1.jpg   trying to replace frp, can't remove the bolts-2.jpg   trying to replace frp, can't remove the bolts-3.jpg   trying to replace frp, can't remove the bolts-4.jpg   trying to replace frp, can't remove the bolts-5.jpg  

trying to replace frp, can't remove the bolts-6.jpg   trying to replace frp, can't remove the bolts-7.jpg   trying to replace frp, can't remove the bolts-8.jpg   trying to replace frp, can't remove the bolts-9.jpg   trying to replace frp, can't remove the bolts-10.jpg  

trying to replace frp, can't remove the bolts-11.jpg  
TXCAI
PCV Rerouted
EGR Blocked
Predator 2.02
Valair Ceramic Dual Disk

Last edited by blctalon; 02-07-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
ronjhall
Diesel Master

The PCV cause the oil you see at turbo inlet.
Soot is from the EGR. I did both of these upgrades. Sure has cleaned things up.
2004 C5500 Kodiak LLY. Gulf Stream Endura 23,000lbs with car, EGR Blocker & stick. PVC reroute. No programmer, Bilstien shocks, Ride Rite air Bags, Train horns, Filter minder, ISSPRO trans temp gauge, VDO EGT gauge, TST tire pressure monitor, Scangauge II, MBRP muffler, Modified turbo MP.
Avg mileage over 67,000 miles 10.3 mpg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.