Fuel Rail leak - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (1) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Second Generation: 2004.5-2005 (LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2009, 11:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
azoilburner
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Armed Forces Club Member

Diesel Day Dreams Member

Fuel Rail leak

I've got fuel leaking from somewhere on my pass side fuel rail. Is it common for the fittings to come loose or am I possibly looking at a more serious problem. Right now it is just a trickle but I'm worried it'll get worse before I have a chance to tear into it. My truck only has 75k on it. WTF?

Anyone seen this? Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Oh forgot, My truck is a 04.5' CC 4x4 LLY.

Thanks!!!
homemade pcv r/r
LBZ mouthpiece
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2009, 01:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
briano
Diesel Master

found using the search function...

Fuel Rail Leak?? HELP!!!

LLY FAQ, Most Popular Tuner, Most Popular Exhaust, How to Search, Front Pipe Install,
Duramax Engine Pics, Front Pipe vs. Down Pipe Which Engine do I have?? Programmer Comparison Dual Electric Fan Install Online Manuals MBRP Powertube Install and Dyno "True" Downpipe Install

Please create a signature under User CP with year, make, and any mods. This will help us help you.
Offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2009, 03:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
THE TECH
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by briano View Post
found using the search function...

Fuel Rail Leak?? HELP!!!
That thread doesn't seem to have narrowed anything down that for sure is causing the problem since the OP hasn't responded since Feb.

Also, since the OP of this thread doesn't know where his leak is, we don't know if these incidents are similar or not.

[CENTER]05 LLY - CC SB - Stock[/CENTER]

[CENTER][B][SIZE=4][COLOR=red]BIG THANKS TO NELSON DIESEL PERFORMANCE & NDPspeed!!!![/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/CENTER]
Old 08-05-2009, 04:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
briano
Diesel Master

his question was if anyone had seen anything like that...I searched and found that.. it may or may not be the same, but with the info provided that's all I found.

LLY FAQ, Most Popular Tuner, Most Popular Exhaust, How to Search, Front Pipe Install,
Duramax Engine Pics, Front Pipe vs. Down Pipe Which Engine do I have?? Programmer Comparison Dual Electric Fan Install Online Manuals MBRP Powertube Install and Dyno "True" Downpipe Install

Please create a signature under User CP with year, make, and any mods. This will help us help you.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
azoilburner
Diesel Technician

Armed Forces Club Member

Diesel Day Dreams Member

Thanks for the replies, sorry if I was vague with my description of the problem. My truck starts easily and runs well. I smelled diesel coming from the engine compartment the other day and popped the hood to look. I traced the leak to the pass side fuel rail. It seems to be dripping directly off of the rail, as if it is leaking from one of the injector fittings then running down the fuel rail and off of the back end of the motor. I just found it the other day and haven't had a chance to pull anything off of the motor to get a closer look.

I was just wondering if anyone had seen this AND what they found their issue to be so I can gauge whether or not I'm going to be replacing the fuel rail or just tightening some fittings. Is there a threaded plug in the rear end of the rail? Does it ever leak? Are fuel rail fittings a common place for a leak or is fuel weeping through a crack in the rail a common problem?

hope this helps and thanks in advance!
homemade pcv r/r
LBZ mouthpiece
Old 08-05-2009, 06:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
azoilburner
Diesel Technician

Armed Forces Club Member

Diesel Day Dreams Member

More info.....
fuel is dripping only off of the rear end of the fuel rail. Visually can't see any fuel weeping from the rear 3 injector fittings... Just wanted to add that as i know the beginning may have been vague.
homemade pcv r/r
LBZ mouthpiece
Old 08-05-2009, 07:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
skleppy
Diesel Master

Armed Forces Club Member

Alberta Coal Rollers Member

Best thing to do would be to get a UV flashlight or a blacklight and try to find the source of the leak at night. If you do it that way, then any fresh fuel thats coming from the source will "glow" under UV or blacklight.
PPE 120HP Tune
PPE Stage 4 Trans - Built by me with an ML TC
EGR blocked, unplugged and turned off
AEM intake, Plugged resonator, LBZ MP - best intake for an LLY IMO
Custom tranny cooler - by ME
Magnaflow 4" stainless turbo back duals
Autometer Coblat Triple Pillar
FS-2500 bypass with Top Dog Oil filter adapter

"For those of you who confuse horsepower with torque, horsepower is how fast you hit the wall;
torque is how far you shove it back when you hit it"
Old 08-05-2009, 07:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
azoilburner
Diesel Technician

Armed Forces Club Member

Diesel Day Dreams Member

Awesome idea!
Thanks!
homemade pcv r/r
LBZ mouthpiece
Sponsored Links
Advertisement