Power steering pump - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Second Generation: 2004.5-2005 (LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

Duramax Second Generation: 2004.5-2005 (LLY) Discuss the second generation (2004.5-2005 LLY) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. 2006 LLY engine discussion belongs in Third Generation forum due to the differences of the 2006 LLY and the 2004.5-2005 LLY. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2005, 03:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
BIGMoe
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to BIGMoe

Power steering pump

I hope this is the right place to post this. I did not see a place for steering, and I knew the Tech's would know the answer.
I have lost my second power steering pump. First one at 7,000 miles and the last one at 18.000 miles almost a year apart. They both did the same thing, I got in and started to go and noticed it was hard to turn. Both times I didn't feel it safe to drive and had it towed. The service writer told me the pressure was way low. I just wanted to know if this is an isolated problem or is there problems with the Power Steering Pumps.

2003 Chevrolet Silverado HD LT CC D/A 4X4 SB Dark Green, XM Radio & OnStar Textured Black Luverne Grill Guard, Luverne Running Boards , VORTEX Bed Liner, Stainless Steel Rocker Panels, PUTCO Bow Tie grill insert, Stainless Steel door handle overlays, High Idle, HomeLink in the overhead console, All 4 on headlight on high, AstroStart remote start. Nicktain Fuel Filter(coming soon)

When All Else Fails Follow Instructions!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2005, 10:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
GMCSID
Diesel Master

It is common for the shafts to breaks causing the pump not to turn. Ther is a recall but it's only for 2000 trucks.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2005, 12:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cobra#3747
Diesel Master

DelMarVa Diesel Club Member

It can be common to be hard to turn when you first start them with your foot on the brake. Hard to say without really seeing/feeling the problem
Old 05-15-2005, 02:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
BIGMoe
Diesel Technician

Send a message via MSN to BIGMoe

The shaft did not break, it was just real low on pressure both times. Both times they replaced the pump under warranty.

2003 Chevrolet Silverado HD LT CC D/A 4X4 SB Dark Green, XM Radio & OnStar Textured Black Luverne Grill Guard, Luverne Running Boards , VORTEX Bed Liner, Stainless Steel Rocker Panels, PUTCO Bow Tie grill insert, Stainless Steel door handle overlays, High Idle, HomeLink in the overhead console, All 4 on headlight on high, AstroStart remote start. Nicktain Fuel Filter(coming soon)

When All Else Fails Follow Instructions!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.