Diesel Place banner

Normal Operating temps

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Z71 Grizzly 
#1 ·
Hi I just got an 05 and was wondering what the normal operating temps were on the engine and tranny. The truck is totally stock for right now and will soon have a 5" exhaust on it. It has been running at about 185/190 cruising warmed up. It has almost gone to 210 already.The tranny is usually a couple notches above 100. Thank's, Adam

#3 ·
190ish unloaded. Tranny temp really depends on what I'm doing. I don't normally pay attention to it unless I know I need to pay attention to it!:D

#4 ·
You might want to do a search, as that gauge lies. It is computer controlled and follows a programmed map. It will stay in a certain range (around 210*) for a good portion of engine operation until you are starting to approach an OH situation and then rapidly jump up.

Maybe someone can provide a link to the thread that covers this.

#5 ·
^^ Oh definitely! I just assumed if he was giving something pretty specific like 185-190 that he has something better than the stock gauge to read off of.

#6 ·
Nope just the stock tranny gauge in the dash. I just got the truck and even though I been on here alot longer than I've had the truck I am still learning more. I guess I'm slightly used to my old truck where there was no tranny gauge and it ran at 185 for engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.