symptoms of bad injectors? - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Second Generation: 2004.5-2005 (LLY)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2004, 01:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
turbo lcc
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

symptoms of bad injectors?

What are the symptoms of bad injectors in an LLY??
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2004, 02:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
briano
Diesel Master

most obvious symptom is the white smoke at idle and smell of raw fuel..which I have at the moment. Loud injector knock may be an early warning sign and drop in mileage should contribute. I am sure there are other signs. The tests are very extensive for the LLY versus the LB7.

LLY FAQ, Most Popular Tuner, Most Popular Exhaust, How to Search, Front Pipe Install,
Duramax Engine Pics, Front Pipe vs. Down Pipe Which Engine do I have?? Programmer Comparison Dual Electric Fan Install Online Manuals MBRP Powertube Install and Dyno "True" Downpipe Install

Please create a signature under User CP with year, make, and any mods. This will help us help you.

Last edited by briano; 12-11-2004 at 02:42 PM.
Offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2004, 09:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
cid`
Diesel Technician

Hmm, smell of raw fuel just by stepping on the gas or getting out of the car? And how dramatic a drop in mileage would you say? I've been having some mileage/power issues lately, all after a few tanks of gas after adding intake/exhaust. Does my issue sound the applicable?
Old 12-11-2004, 10:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
briano
Diesel Master

on mine and another buddies...while truck is idling in park and idling in gear, you can see constant white smoke from exhaust and strong smell of fuel and from what I have been told and learned that is the injectors. I haven't heard too many mileage complaints that are related, but I am sure it does affect it.

my truck never smoked at all before and never could smell anything from exhaust.

LLY FAQ, Most Popular Tuner, Most Popular Exhaust, How to Search, Front Pipe Install,
Duramax Engine Pics, Front Pipe vs. Down Pipe Which Engine do I have?? Programmer Comparison Dual Electric Fan Install Online Manuals MBRP Powertube Install and Dyno "True" Downpipe Install

Please create a signature under User CP with year, make, and any mods. This will help us help you.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
cid`
Diesel Technician

Ah, I can smell diesel more so now, and mileage has suffered, so I may just be manifesting that I possibly have bad injectors now. Well, will hopefully hear/read more, and then take action from there..

Thanks for the intel

Oh yeah, one more question. If an injector does go bad or is out of balance, will any of this trigger the SES/MIL lamp?
Old 12-12-2004, 01:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
briano
Diesel Master

cid...I asked the same question.. haven't gotten a real answer on that, but out of all the LLY's on here I have read about and the buddies of mine that have the same issue..none have reported the SES light coming on.

Old 12-12-2004, 01:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Max Power
Diesel Laureate

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Another thing you can see is poor starting. Cranking longer then usual before firing.

2011 F250 Lariat 6.7L - Sold

2009 GMC Crew Cab, Short Box SLT LMM - Sold
04.5 GMC 2500HD LLY Carbon Metallic - Sold
2003 GMC 2500HD LB7 White - Sold
Old 12-12-2004, 02:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
cid`
Diesel Technician

ahh crap! Think I may possibly have the issue then. Some mornings, it cranks for maybe a full second or two before it starts.. at first, just had me worried, but I didnt think too much of it, now I am getting all paranoid, but I might be just relating too much and reading into it.
So how would/should I report this to the dealer for diagnosis? "Yeah, I have bad injectors, fix it!" ?
Old 12-12-2004, 12:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
_nar_
Diesel Master

Send a message via AIM to _nar_

Quote:
Originally Posted by cid`
ahh crap! Think I may possibly have the issue then. Some mornings, it cranks for maybe a full second or two before it starts.. at first, just had me worried, but I didnt think too much of it, now I am getting all paranoid, but I might be just relating too much and reading into it.
So how would/should I report this to the dealer for diagnosis? "Yeah, I have bad injectors, fix it!" ?
You mean minutes, or are you really saying you think cranking for an entire second is too much? Mine fires right off but one might call it a second...

Member #1 of A(ACLU)

Quote:
In my eyes, you're blinded, you'll never be anything at all
Old 12-12-2004, 12:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
cid`
Diesel Technician

Cranking sometimes tanks full seconds, but definately nothing longer that 3-4.. and absolutely not in the minutes.
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread