Diesel Place banner

Ok I finally decided to put an lb7 in my 2500 Suburban

27K views 111 replies 12 participants last post by  Franka548 
#1 ·
I finally got the nerve to swap an lb7 into my 2003 2500 Suburban and this forum is the main reason. I've been researching this and came across this forum and you guys are second to none on this. I hope to be starting in a couple of weeks and I would be very thankful for any help you guys can offer

#3 ·
My donor truck is a 2003 the same as my Suburban Skippie. I will get pictures and a step by step on the install when I get started.

#4 ·
Did you already own both trucks? Or did you pick up the pickup just for this swap? If you just got it what was its story and what sort of money did you have to pay for it? I have looked at smashed diesel trucks a few times and been amazed at what they still go for.

#5 ·
57 Diesel I have a friend who has a 2003 one ton crew cab with an lb7 and he approached me and asked if I was interested in swapping. He wants my 8.1. I've been thinking about this for several years and the opportunity is there and it should be about the cheapest way out.

#6 ·
Is your friend going to be helping with the swap or is it all going to be up to you?

Should be a lot of good info in this thread by the time both trucks are running again.

#7 ·
Yes 57 Diesel I'll have plenty of help plus he's got a garage with a lift which will make things easier

#9 ·
I had it checked out my son is a diesel mechanic and it has 180,000 miles on it. Plus I get a spare short block and assorted parts

#10 ·
I looked on here and couldn't find out about the rear end durability of the 10.5" rear end with the Duramax. Has anyone tried it or know if it would hold up. I'm gonna be pushing around 450 to 475 hp

#12 ·
Does any one know what's the best route to go on the transfer case module -swap them out or will they work with either t case. I know I have to change the switch but not sure about the module. If I have to change the module then I'll have to have it flashed to the vin to work properly

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#13 ·
I can only comment on the 2001-2002 so it might not apply. I had to change the switch and the module. No reflash needed, only a re-learn. A re-learn is a key on-off sequence that forces all the onboard computers to start talking to each other. Trun key on (not start) for 10 min, then off for 3-5 sec, back to on for 10 min, then off for 3-5 sec, and finnaly back to on for 10 min. Turn if off and the next time you turn the key to on all of the computers will sink up. Hopefull someone will confirm this process for the 2003 and up models.

#14 ·
Thanks boisebiker I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row before I start this project so I can keep from having to many surprises pop up. I really enjoyed your write up on your Suburban it was very helpful in me deciding to do this

#15 ·
OK guys another question on the front driveshaft will the one out of my donor truck bolt up to my suburban or do I have to have one made

#16 ·
The front drive shaft from the truck should be a direct bolt in. If you use the stock engine mounts it will put the engine/tranny/transfer case in the same location as the truck. Are you using a 2" or 3" body lift? 2" is usually the best choice as it will allign the fan with the stock shroud. With a 2" body lift you will need the longer steering shaft center piece. There are parts you will want but won't be able to swap from your buddies truck.
As far as complete swaps TdiGUY is definatly the guy you want to be friends with.

#17 ·
Hey Boisebiker how does your rear fuel tank set up work I'm still trying to decide which way to go. I don't know if I want to try to program for the back tank or just use a set up like yours

#18 ·
At one point in time the connector at the front tank started leaking. I repaired with some RTV and it is still holding, I assume I will have to repair or fix again in the future. Other wise it works well. I still get about 35 usable gallons. Gauge reads full until I get to about 2/3 full then it starts to drop with usage. I disabled my rear fuel pump but I have heard it can still be used if you do the programming.

#19 ·
At one point in time the connector at the front tank started leaking. I repaired with some RTV and it is still holding, I assume I will have to repair or fix again in the future. Other wise it works well. I still get about 35 usable gallons. Gauge reads full until I get to about 2/3 full then it starts to drop with usage. I disabled my rear fuel pump but I have heard it can still be used if you do the programming.
Thanks Boisebiker I think I'm gonna leave the fuel pump hooked up and go the programing route or just add a switch to turn the pump on so I don't have to worry about leaks. Did you reuse the gas pickup from the main tank because the diesel unit wont fit the gas tank in the Suburban

#20 · (Edited)
you have to take the diesel sender and the gas sender and make 1 out of the 2. You cut the 1/2" line out of the diesel sender and weld it into the gas sender, theres pics on my build page

As for the 4x4 module, I switched the module and the switch panel out.

skippie

#21 ·
Thanks Skippie for the info I'll try to find a bad pump to swap over all the tubes. Will the sending units mount in either tank or is there a difference in the tanks. Thanks for the info on the lift kit just let me know when.

#22 ·
Alright guys I have my lift kit on the way from Skippie got a new 4" exhaust I have my efi live connection ready and waiting can anyone think of anything else I need before I start.

#23 ·
Where are you on your swap? I am getting ready to start, and certainly interested in the issues that everyone has run into. I have read, re-read, and re-read again all the ones on here. Did you have issues and have to abandon the swap?

Tony

#24 ·
Please do tell, how is the swap going? I would guess by now you are either done or have given up on the idea.

#25 ·
Haven't given up, actually on vacation with the wife and kids, a small slow down, I am actually hopeful that we will have everything pulled from the doner by early next week, then rear my Yukon apart, I am at the mercy of the shop schedule, we are waiting on some parts to finish a ford 6.0 to cummins 12v swap right now, they sent the wrong flywheel, so had to wait for the replacement to get here.

I ordered the exhaust and intake, should be here tomorrow or Monday.

I will put pics on as soon as we start ripping it apart.

Tony

#27 ·
Sorry guys for the long delay but I lost my swap motor guy decided to sell the truck instead. I have a chance to buy an 03 truck for $10,000 with a 157,000 miles on it for the swap there's nothing wrong with the truck and was wondering how much do y'all think I could recoup by parting everything I don't need out. The donor truck is a 2003 2500 extended cab 4 wheel drive

#29 ·
make it a gas truck and sell whole...

#31 ·
Alright guys I bought the truck but this thing is in a one condition I also have a chance to buy a 2002 wrecked truck does anyone know what it would take to convert it to 2003 controls I didn't know if it would be just the computers or if the whole wiring harness is different

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.