Diesel Place banner

MPG = 22-23

5K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  GTO_Gregory 
#1 ·
Took my new 2016 LML WT on a trip and the MPG for a trip about 180 miles returned 22-23 moving at close to the speed limit.

I saw a video review of the 2016 LML and the reviewer had also similar mileage but there was a blurb about getting close to 28-89 mpg on an extended drive.

Is it really possible to get to that level realistically?
:think:

#2 ·
I don't know about 28-29,, that sounds unrealistically high to me.

Typically I can pull 19-20 going 5 over the limit on a 750 mile trip between the coast and Montana, that means 70 in Oregon, 75-80 in Idaho/WA and 80+ in montana.

My best was a shade over 24 going 60 between montana and oregon when we were in a convoy with a u-haul. I also get around 22 between oregon and san diego.

trying to get more than that IMHO would be an excercise in futility.

I get about 2-3 mpg better than the 04.5 I had, likely at least in part due to the 6 speed vs 5 speed.

#6 ·
all the trucks with stock size tires are 1-3mpgs off[high],,your speedo reads 4-6mph high,,a 275-70-18 is the size that makes the speedo dead on,i went from 21mpg's-to 19mpg's,,also look at the gals used on the DIC,mine was always off by 3 gals,now it only off by .5

#10 ·
On my 2015 with stock tires the odometer and speedometer match my GPS within a few %, nowhere near 4-6 mph high on speed at 60.

DIC is optimistic by about 5%, I use it as a estimate and just hand calculate mileage.

My 04.5 odo and spedo were similar with stock tires. 04 didn't have the DIC

#7 ·
My LML fuel used is always very very close. Sometimes higher sometimes lower.

More accurate that my LMM was and the LMM was more accurate than my LLY.

#9 ·
Ditch the emissions crap and mileage will improve significantly.

#13 ·
When the speedo is not calibrated for the tire size your running, all bets are off when it comes to calculating and reporting mileage.

#14 ·
My milage stayed the same, 19 mpg highway after I lost the the DPF and EGR...

#15 ·
I don't do much highway driving solo, but city/little highway my mileage was around 14.5-15 stock, deleted 13.0-13.5 only if I drive a few extra miles on the freeway.

So when I read all these fantastic mileage gains claims after people delete, first I :banghead:, then that resorts to :hehe:

#17 ·
The DIC reports 1.5 to 2 mpg than hand calculated. I liked my LB7 mpg. It always got 22-23 mpg hand calculated but lacked the power the LMM has. I remember McRat told me years ago that the more power it makes the more it loses mpg. He also told me that at most you can only gain a few % gains in mpg if you played with the tables without boosting HP

#19 ·
My overall average for 30K miles (and I do a lot of freeway speed driving - not towing) is 17.5, calculated. Best (calculated) is 20.3 coming back from Little Rock, Ar to Houston, averaging speed limit +5. Dash generally shows .5 to 1 mpg better than actual. Towing our 4500lb travel trailer, I average around 11, cruising at 70ish. Totally stock truck.

#21 ·
When stock, my DIC showed about 0.4 mpg LESS than hand calculated. Now that I have PPEI tuning, it shows 1.2 mpg MORE than hand calculated. I am now averaging >21 mpg hand calculated! DIC showing >22.

#22 ·
Either way for me it's been a great truck at about 850 miles so far. Never got close to that in my 2005 Chevy 3500 express van/class B roadtrek with the gas 6.0 V-8. Best I get with that is about 13-15 not towing on the highway close to the speed limit.
I would tow my 24 ft enclosed trailer and get 8-10 mpg. Headwinds never let me get above 50 mph.
I'm expecting to be able to tow my trailer more easily with my WT/2500 Dmax. A lot of my friends have Dodge or Fords and all of them love their diesels for towing.

#23 ·
The problem with the emissions crap is that there's a 9th injector. When the truck goes into regen mode, it's throwing raw fuel down the exhaust, in combination with the urea to burn off the soot.

Raw fuel down the exhaust does NOTHING to help with mileage, which is why all of the trucks pick up when you delete the emissions crap.

#24 ·
I just back from a trip to St Augustine from Atlanta. On the way down I set the cruise at 70 and the DIC showed 22.3 mpg until it started ( I am assuming ) a regen. It hit 14 mpg and I started playing with the cruise, from 60 up to 90 and couldnt get the mileage to fluctuate at all. After about 40 miles, the mileage was back up to 22.9. On the way back, I set the cruise 79 and it did an overall average if 19.3. It did not regen on the trip back. I feel the comparison is a little flawed as I did not put my fuel additive in on the trip back like I did on the trip down. All numbers reported at from the DIC, not hand calculated, on 265/70/18 tires.

#25 ·
DIC mpg reports :thumb:

#26 ·
my DIC on my lml is on the generous side, DIC on a trip from Apple Valley, CA to Carson City, NV, and driving to Reno and Tahoe, squeezed 580 miles to 34 gallons. DIC stated 19.1, hand calculated was 18.3...

#27 ·
I get 14.5 MPG towing the pictured car trailer. This is consistent over my last 1,800+ mile trip. Added weight is about 6,500 lbs.

Around town I'm very constant at 17.6 MPG.
During regeneration cycles I lose about 2 MPG.
Highway mileage is 21-22 MPG if kept under 75 MPH.

These are DIC numbers. I've done the hand calculation and find the difference to only be about .2 MPG, so I rely on the DIC.

I've verified the speedometer's accuracy off of a map program using GPS that displays speed. It's dead on.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.