DEF Consumption - Page 4 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (2) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011+ (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011+ (LML) Discuss the fifth generation (2011) of the 6.6L Duramax diesel engine & associated components. Engine related discussion ONLY.

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2013, 11:51 PM   #31 (permalink)
ceide4489
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucFanDan View Post
Seriously?

If that's accurate, a delete will pay for itself a lot quicker than I originally calculated. If it lasts 100,000 miles, and it's $2k, that's effectively $0.02 per mile in operating cost. Fuel costs out here run $0.23/mile (assuming 16 mpg and $3.759/gal). You're talking about bumping that to a quarter a mile... just for fuel and DPF replacement.

Man, I gotta stop doing this kind of math... these numbers add up to real money really quick.
After I deleted mine I got a 2-3 MPG increase as well.

Im getting 24-25MPG (Canadian) or over 21 (US) gallons

If you get an extra 50 Miles out of a tank that means every 11th tank is basically free. SO at cost here for diesel thats 150 bucks.

I calculate 650 miles per tank prior and 700 after.

So every 7000 miles I save 150 buscks plus the DEF cost of 30 so 180 every 7000 and thats 1800 every 70000 miles.

Calculates out to $2700 every 100,000 miles and then the $2000 for new filter (if thats right) We are at $4700 in 100,000 miles and cost me $2500 to do full delete.

I guess for me it seems at 50000 miles I break even. And that doesnt take into any downtime cost associated with DEF problems.

These are just estimates but thast how I justified it to myself.

Most I ever got out of a tank after delete was 742 miles and best every before was 657.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #32 (permalink)
DucFanDan
Diesel Technician

Updated math:

Stock configuration avg mileage: 15.6 mpg (US)
Stock cost/mile: $0.24 (fuel only, 15.6 mpg, $3.759/gallon)

Deleted avg mileage: 19.0
Deleted cost/mile: $0.20

$0.04/mile difference

That's $2000 in 50,000 miles.

That does not include DEF (which is ~$12/4000 miles), which would add a further $150 in savings over 50k miles.

That does not include DPF replacement (due to unknown actual cost/interval).

The delete makes more economic sense than I originally thought.

Biggest deal for folks living out here in farm & ranch country, though, is the reduction in fire danger. We've had 7 fires with plumes visible from our place this summer... 3 of them major (10,000 acres or larger). I'd bet good money each of those fires alone emitted more soot than the average truck will in its lifetime.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #33 (permalink)
bigz64
Diesel Enthusiast

in our two 2013 trucks i have noticed over double DEF usage in the summer months compared to the winter months, about 3500 kms for every 2.5 gallon jug.. compared to 7500 kms in winter.

all i know is when warranty is up all my newer trucks will be getting the full deletes, it just doesn't make business sense to keep them on.

my goal for every truck is 800 000 kms so even a 1 mpg increase is huge $$$
Old 09-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #34 (permalink)
moseso
Diesel Fanatic

I agree, once my warranty is up full delete. Just have to find a reputable shop in the Burlington/Oakville Ontario Canada area.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:41 PM   #35 (permalink)
Ted White
Diesel Master

DEF consumption varies widely, and DEF is injected to help cool the DPF/SCR after a regen, so it is possible that there could be higher than expected consumption when measured over a short time period.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #36 (permalink)
bigz64
Diesel Enthusiast

the bulk fuel stops up here are starting to add bulk DEF fill stations... works out to around $7-$8 for a 2.5 gallon jug ($0.80/liter) and the cheapest 2.5 gallon jug ive found was $15, highest was $22. so the little cost now is even smaller
Old 09-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #37 (permalink)
ceide4489
Diesel Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseso View Post
I agree, once my warranty is up full delete. Just have to find a reputable shop in the Burlington/Oakville Ontario Canada area.

The H&S book walks you through it and shows you every plug to undo. All you really need is put the new exhaust on and unplug 3 under the hood and I think it was 6 under the truck.

Good pics and instructions. I did my own after muffler was installed rightin muffler shop
Old 09-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #38 (permalink)
elkhornsun
Diesel Fanatic

I am not about to break state and federal laws or add the air pollution by deleting emissions controls. I am a better person than that.

I was experiencing an unusual amount of DEF consumption with heavy hauling and towing that was far greater than could be explained by higher fuel consumption. Eventually I got an engine error code and the dealer's mechanic determined which NOx sensor had failed and replaced it.

Makes sense that a faulty NOx sensor would cause the computer to have more DEF injected into the exhaust stream. Since the sensor was replaced my DEF consumption has dropped by more than 80%.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #39 (permalink)
Mike Clay
Diesel Technician

I could count on my 2011 using a gallon every 1k miles. Have 2,100 miles on my 2013 with 600 of that towing heavy and only used 1/2 gallon
Old 09-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #40 (permalink)
GM Customer Svc
Official GM Rep

elkhornsun,

Oh no! I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing an unusual amount of DEF consumption with heavy hauling and towing. I might not be able to give you any technical advice but I would like to look into this concern for you. Could you private message me including a brief overview of your concern, contact information and VIN?

Best regards,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care
Available Monday-Friday 8am - 4:30pm EST

Check out the NEW Owner Center at: My.Chevrolet.com and My.GMC.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.