Getting my "fuel system" replaced - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (3) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011+ (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
EsBeeRR
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Getting my "fuel system" replaced

Just got an update today from the dealer my truck is at. I took it in originally for a DEF quality warning but when i picked it up it threw a low fuel rail pressure code. After a week of troubleshooting that they say there is metal in the fuel system. So I am being told the tank will be dropped and flushed, all pumps and lines replaced, filter replaced and fuel rails replaced. I was also told it will be getting an updated CP4.2, the part that failed and caused the issues, so hopefully this will be a one time issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 06:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
BrennanK
Diesel Technician

Eeek. I hope it works out for you. I would be demanding that everything that fuel touches gets replaced. From the injectors back.

This makes me think HPFP failure like the VW TDi's are suffering from. It is something that a lot of members on TDi club are talking about. I have seen several owners trading to a gasser before the warranty is up afraid of a $8,000 repair. I have been following a lot of HPFP stuff on TDI Club, it's scary stuff!

Take a read:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...ight=HPFP+fail

I sure hope the CP4 isn't having issues.
AUX Radio Input (iSimple ISGM535) - High Idle Mod - Head Gaskets (June 2012@149K) - OEM Cab Lights - LBZ Mouth Piece - All On Headlight Mod - Puddle and Footwell LED's - OEM Towing Mirrors - Uniden BCT15x Scanner
-Stock tuning and staying that way

Future:
gauges in Trippin Mount, backup lights, LBZ door badges, lux amp, Kennedy lift pump, aux CAT filter
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
EsBeeRR
Diesel Enthusiast

Update: So i stopped by the dealership and they told me GM engineers thought that the metal found was insignificant (Dealership sent a picture of some strainer/screen) and that just the pressure sensor that failed was to be replaced. I spoke with the mechanic there and saw my fuel rail sitting in his vice with both sensors installed. He said he couldnt torque the sensor correctly so the fuel rail and sensors got replaced as one unit. He couldnt answer my question of where the metal came from. I had him remove the pressure regulator from the rail and the screen was plugged with fairly large metal shavings. I left to figure out how i wanted to handle it. I came back the next day to raise some hell and was told a gm engineer was there and looked my truck over. Now that he could see everything with his own eyes he concluded everything was to be replaced including injectors now. So the dealer has $4800 in parts on order and everything is going to be replaced from the injectors back. Plus GM is covering my payment for having my truck all month. So far so good i guess.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
master
Diesel Technician

I have done 2

Subject:Duramax Diesel Hard Start No Start Or DTC P0087 Injection Pump Replacement

Models:2010 - 2012 Chevrolet Express Silverado
2010 - 2012 GMC Savana Sierra
Equipped with the 6.6L Duramax Diesel RPO codes LGH and LML

This PI was superseded to update recommended field. Please discard PIP4949B.
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/newsi/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2887517&from=sm#N65567">Condition/Concern:

A dealer may encounter a customer concern of a hard start, no start, or DTC P0087. Normal SI diagnostics may be inconclusive or lead to a Fuel Injection Pump replacement.
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/newsi/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2887517&from=sm#N65576">Recommendation/Instructions:

Complete the current SI diagnostics for any symptoms or DTCs found. Check the fuel for any type of contamination and check the API reading. Follow the SI procedure for Fuel System Cleaning if necessary.
If the current SI diagnostic has led to a Fuel Injection Pump replacement, Fuel Pressure Regulator 1 must be inspected for metal debris.

Note:
Clean the area around regulator 1 before removal. It is possible that road debris could find its way to the regulator when it is removed. A small piece of dirt does not qualify the fuel system for the repairs recommended in this PI.

Please see pictures below for examples.

Remove the Fuel Injection Pump / Pressure Regulator 1 for inspection.

This picture is an example of the regulator with the debris described.

This picture is an example of a normal Regulator.
If no metal debris is found complete the current SI repair procedure, replace the Fuel Injection Pump, and evaluate the condition.
If there is any metal debris found on the regulator complete the following repairs:
1. Replace the fuel injection pump, fuel rails, fuel injectors, fuel return line assembly, all high pressure fuel pipes, indirect fuel injector, and fuel feed pipes (pump to indirect fuel injector).
2. Clean and flush all fuel chassis lines, fuel filter housing, filter pipes, and other engine mounted fuel system pipes not replaced.
3. The filter housing should be inspected and cleaned with a new fuel filter installed.

Note:
The Indirect Fuel Injector (Hydrocarbon Injector) and its fuel lines must be purged of air any time it is removed or replaced. Failure to do so may damage the injector. Perform the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Regeneration Enable any time the indirect injector or its fuel lines are opened/removed or replaced. This will force regeneration as soon as conditions allow and will purge any air from the system. Refer to Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Regeneration Enable in SI.

Note:
These fuel system components will be requested back for an engineering inspection. Completing this repair without finding the metal debris (as described in this PI) may result in a debit to the dealer.

<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/newsi/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2887517&from=sm#N65664">Warranty Information:

For vehicles repaired under warranty use:

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

J7811

Diagnose Fuel System Components - Replace

Use Straight Time (Actual Clock Time) for Labor Claim

*This is a unique labor operation for this PI use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION
Old 02-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
EsBeeRR
Diesel Enthusiast

That is the TSB i was shown. My pressure regulator (pic 1) had a very small amount of metal. The regulator I made them pull from the rail is where we found most of the metal. At least its not a common issue with these trucks. Ive only have found 2 other people posting about this issue.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
dmax3500
Diesel Master

there was a pressure ball in my inj pump [2008 lmm] that blew apart and GM dealer keep replacing inj's [6],till the eng let go and the parts cost $20k [2 rails,8 injs,8 inj pipes,pump,reg,engine,fuel lines,fuel cooler,filter] all done under warenty
Old 03-15-2013, 10:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
EsBeeRR
Diesel Enthusiast

So final update: After the repair the dealer was road testing my truck and the DEF quality poor message came back. This was at 6 weeks in the shop. GM agreed to a lemon buy back. Now im just waiting for a check and going to purchase a new 2013 HD. Hopefully the second go with a dmax is better.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
FC5452
Diesel Technician

Just out of curiosity, how many miles were on the clicker when the issue surfaced? I have only read of 6 instances her and on the DF with CP4 issues. 17K on mine without issue so far.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Neal
Diesel Enthusiast

I know it has been frustrating taking so long. It is good to hear that GM is taking care of U. Hopefully they send your old truck back to R & D and can learn something from it. Hope your new truck gives U many, many thousands of miles of problem free driving.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
EsBeeRR
Diesel Enthusiast

The first def warning came on at 24k. I have been told that the CP failure is very rare on the LML. My issue started as DEF issue, repaired, then as i drove it home CP failure then once it was back together the DEF warning came back during the road test. Right now there is a GM engineer wrenching on it. I was told they still dont know whats wrong so they are just throwing parts at it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.