Def tank capacaty - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011+ (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
cbprov
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: -1 reviews

Def tank capacaty

How much def fluid does the tank hold. How many miles per tank. How much is left when 800 mi warning comes on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Islander1123
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

It holds somewhere around 6 gallons. Ive been getting about 1000 miles to a gallon.
- GM Smoked Hood Deflector
- GM Bed Rail Caps
- Weathertech Floor Liners
- Z71 Package
- 18'' Aluminum Wheels
- Tow Mirrors
- Convenience Package
- Interior Package
- Sliding Rear Window
- Back Up Camera
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Flinthunter
Diesel Technician

I filled mine up at 5156 miles and just yesterday after a 1200 mile trip with 8250 on the ticker it didn't quite hold 21/2 gallons. I think mine might be a bit better because my mpg have gone up and in that 3000 or so miles most of those have been road trips.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
EricM
Diesel Technician

DelMarVa Diesel Club Member

5.3 gallons

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 05-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Navyrep1
Diesel Technician

Armed Forces Club Member

The book says 5.3 gallons but it'll hold a bit more. The tank is larger than the quoted 5.3to allow for frozen expansion. If you fill until it "burps", it'll be almost 7 gallons....perfectly fine to do that in warm weather. Winter....not such a good idea. You'll burn about a gallon for every ~1200-1500 miles driven, depending on load. More fuel burned equals more DEF burned. 30K miles so far on mine. Believe me DEF is really no big deal at all. Enjoy the truck.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
domano 68
Diesel Technician

I've topped mine off a couple of times recently for whatever reason. I've had trouble determining when to stop pouring; it tells me by spitting it back all over the place. Anyone come up with a good method to tell that it is full or almost full? TIA!
Old 05-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
GM Customer Svc
Official GM Rep

To maximize driving range and to prevent over filling the tank, wait until the "Exhaust Fluid Range: 1000 miles (approximate)" message appears on the DIC. At this point, add up to 3.5-gal. Do not add more than 3.5 gal of DEF. When using the CC&A DEF fluid with the nozzle properly installed, when fluid reaches the top of the fill pipe, stop filling. Instructions are provided on the bottle for proper nozzle installation. If another source of DEF is being used, when fluid initially reaches the top of the fill pipe, stop filling and do not force additional fluid into the tank.

As " Navyrep1" stated, it is not recommended to fill the tank beyond 5.3-gal. DEF basically behaves like water and will freeze at 12degrees Fahrenheit and will expand. This does not normally cause a problem if the DEF tank is not overfilled. Adding more than the 5.3-gal usable capacity may not allow for DEF expansion when frozen.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.