DEF quality poor - Page 28 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > Duramax Fifth Generation: 2011+ (LML)
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 10:24 AM   #271 (permalink)
Snap On Ron
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

our 2011 with 95,000 just went in for head gaskets and also DEF quality poor light. Head gaskets are done but light is now out. They don't want to throw parts/sensors at it with the light not on. Being 5000 miles away from the warranty expiring I am concerned about this problem coming back. Is there anything that you would press the dealer to do in this situation?
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #272 (permalink)
EsBeeRR
Diesel Enthusiast

Add another to the list(2011). Had a DEF quality light then CEL @ 24k miles. Dealer did a reflash and returned it. A week later DEF warning was back. Another trip to the dealer and they replaced the DEF injector. As soon as I left another check engine light. Dealer said it was a low fuel rail pressure issue. They replaced the pressure sensor but no help. GMC tech support advised the dealer to look for metal shavings in the fuel system. So now all the fuel pumps and fuel rails are being torn out and inspected. We'll see what happens...
Old 02-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #273 (permalink)
Ted White
Diesel Master

Snap on Ron, the most important thing to do is to make sure that the DEF quality problem is recorded in the paperwork and on the GM dealer computer system. That way you can argue that the problem is ongoing if, or when, it comes back.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #274 (permalink)
jmrkav
Diesel Technician

OK back from dealer.

They took it in. Came back said no problem at this time. (no kidding). Did you check for codes? No codes other than DEF quality which has cleared. Did you do any checks? Yes fluid level is fine. OK but how about def QUALITY poor? They take it back in. Come back and paper work says fluid level good. That's all. I know the fluid level is good I JUST FILLED IT UP. Showed them some of the posts on DEF quality. They take it back. Eureka, they have found new updates. They come back and the new upgrade is for compass during regen. I'll bet that has fixed her!

Although I know there are lot of good techs out there, they sure are not at this dealer. They were nice enough but not too bright. Well, it's documented we will go from here.

Proudly made in America by UAW workers

Retrax cover (UPGRADED to a Retrax pro)-factory steps, factory chrome hood protector, factory mud flaps-a little chrome added here and there-fumoto-fuel filter access door-aluminum bleeder screw-T-Rex billet grill for bumper

Towing a 15000# 2004 37' Newmar Kountry Star fifth wheel

Member #916 of the Dually Club
Old 02-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #275 (permalink)
Ranger007
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

After 39k of flawless miles with 2011 duramax. I'm now getting the DEF quality poor also. On the first go round i was able to clear the problem with 70mph runs, then the CEL light came on after the quality light was gone. Took it to the dealer at 39k they did the re flash and all was well for about 2000 miles.

Now at 41k and quality poor is back on. Unable to clear it yet with 70 mph run. Going to the dealer today hopefully NOX sensor change and I will be good to go.

Anyone have problem come back after NOX sensors were changed??
Old 02-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #276 (permalink)
dave933
Diesel Enthusiast

I also had the DEF quality poor light come on at about 25000 miles on my 2011, 2500. Took it to the dealer and they drained and refilled one gallon of DEF ($25!). Left the dealer and the light came on less than a week later. Took the truck back, this time stopping at O'Reilly's to get 2.5 gal of DEF fluid for $13. They apparently did the same thing again. When I picked it up, I was told the DEF quality poor light was now programmed by GM to come on when the truck was regen'ing and that I should drive 30-40 miles at 70mph to let the cycle happen. Sounded like BS, but the light came on less than 5 days later. I drove it about 40 miles and the light did reset. I'm pretty sure it wasn't regenerating because my fuel mileage never dropped. I was willing to admit the dealer was right since the light reset, but after reading these posts, i'm sure gonna take it in next time it comes on to get the NOX sensors checked/replaced. Only 27k on the truck, but I don't want to deal with this come camping season towing our 12k lb 5th wheel. What a pain.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #277 (permalink)
Ted White
Diesel Master

dave933, I know enough about the programming of the emissions system to tell you that it is INCORRECT that the system is programmed to have the DEF QUALITY POOR message show during regenerations.

It IS true that a regeneration will typically clear the problem when the BAD DEF message is caused by a temporary bad reading of NOX levels, so I'll give the benefit of the doubt to your dealership, as the message may have gotten scrambled between the technician and the service rep at the front counter.

The programming in the emissions system carries out NOX sampling from time to time, on a complex schedule related to temperatures in the system, time, and key on cycles, so it is not something easily predicted or monitored. As a result, a temporary increase in NOX, which exceeds the normal levels, MIGHT trigger a BAD DEF situation. A number of operating conditions and component failures can cause this, so the dealer has to work on finding the cause of the problem.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #278 (permalink)
Jager
Diesel Master

So Dave933, let me understand . . . The whole DEF thing was added to trucks due to federal emissions requirements and so the dealers solution to a warning light in your truck is that it is natural and that you need to drive 30 - 40 miles @ 70mph to clear it every time it comes on? Really? So waste your time and money and burn 3 gallons of additional fuel to help improve the environment with lower emissions. Ok, got it.

2014 Chevy 2500HD LZT, CC, 4x4, d-max, buckets, stock mechanical 3/20/14

Traded :-( 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT crew cab 4x4, D-max (LBZ)
Old 02-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #279 (permalink)
Ranger007
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

NOx sensor #2 replaced today

tech note says sensor 2 read erratic between 36PPm and 9PPm, replaced and reset NOx sensor 2

I hope this fixed the problem
Old 02-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #280 (permalink)
moseso
Diesel Fanatic

Had DEF Poor Quality message twice in the past 2 weeks on my 2011 2500 DMax. First time the dealer found nothing wrong and got rid of the codes. Took him 1 1/2 days to do it. Had to call GM Oshawa to get ride of it.
This week they found a NOX sensor that was faulty. Both front and back sensors were reading the same. They say there sould be a 70% difference in readings from front and back sensors.
Resolved for now. Hopefully for more that a week or 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.