Diesel Place banner

P1216 code got me free PMD!

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Turbine Doc 
#1 ·
Took the '98 into the dealership to try to get warranty covered on it since its got 118,000 miles. Well, didn't get the IP that I wanted, but did get a PMD outta the deal. The code was really the only issue I had that I couldn't solve with cheap parts (next paragraph). I been clearing the code time and time again but it kept coming back. Didn't seem to affect the performance any, but knew it would eventually. I'm just tickled I did get the parts and installation free, even though it just a PMD.

I had couple other codes dealing with boost. Solved one code with the new vacuum lines. Drove it for a while and it would lose boost after 3rd gear (5spd). Finally broke down and bought the Vacuum actuation solenoid and that seemed to fix it. It no longer loses boost. I used to think it was exceeding the IAT threshold, but reading here on the forums I knew it wasn't getting over 200 degrees. Solenoid seem to fix the problem so far. We'll see how the PMD does now.

#2 ·
you got burned, pm me with an email address. i will send you a copy of my receipt for my free pmd which by the way came with a new injection pump. it failed with a code 1216 as did yours. you can then take the copy of my receipt back to the dealer and ask why i got a pump and you got burned. ED

#3 ·
The warranty policy does say "repair or replace" the injection pump.

I have heard of a good many 6.5s (mine included, but with previous owner) of having only the PMD replaced, which in turn, repaired the pump.

It repaired mine, and as far as I know, this is legitimate. That was about 130,000 km ago, still purring.

Of course anyone would rather have a new IP, I suppose, but I would think that based on the language of the policy that you may not have much of a leg to stand on, to expect a new IP that is.

my two pennies

#5 ·
Double check the repair/replace wording several dealers here in the US tried the R/R tactic, bulletin says replace period, check list they use is extensive and they will try to gen up bogus things to be fixed before the will replace one, read FAQ surviving trip to the dealer for things you can do to keep that tactic from being used.

#4 ·
I got to see the warranty checklist for the IP/PMD. 5 tests right in a row the PMD failed and they specifically said to "Replace PMD ONLY."

Truck ran fine before so I doubt there was any problems with my IP. I suspected the PMD due to the codes. I'll take what I can get. I've still got like 1,200 miles till warranty runs out (3 years). We'll see how it goes until then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.