How many amps to 8 GP's draw? - Page 7 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2006, 05:43 PM   #61 (permalink)
CanadianRigger
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to CanadianRigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lee View Post
Friend of mine says about the same, it's not getting hot enough when glowing, faster turning starter would help, and pump settings need a little tweaking to make it run overall better. Also, his impression was that you'll be making the real power at higher RPMs than you had on the burnout videos. You can trust him on these things.

He recommends to use Bosch Duratherm Chromium glow plugs, if they make some that fit. That's a type of plugs the WVO converters here use, should make lots of heat.

If you can give exact specs for the plugs you need, we can check if we can get them here, and I could send you some if you can't get them there.
No offence Lee but i don't think your friend has fooled with a 5068 IP in a OBDII application & Westers reflash, if the timing "squirt" isn't happening at the correct time it will also be a biatch to start, no?
My 10 second glow time on the bench seems to be a sufficiant burn by the GP going near white at the tip.
+92^mm OBDI 5068 IP , 8 sleeves bored 40 over, 18:-?, scat crank, splayed mains, new mystery cam, copper gaskets, Studs, ported, Hi-Pops, Cumins LP, FTB..., PANE, most likely? 6" Pro-Comp Lift, 33" Treads

1996 GMC 4x4 SB "S" - GM-8, 3"DP, 3.5" w/4"stacks, Gutted Plenum, EGR Block Off, Boost/Pyro, Air Bags. 59mm^

94 1500 Z-71 SB 4x4, 5.9L 12V Cummins, 40HP Injectors, 14CC Turbo, NV4500 w/Gear Vendor, Air Bags, Gauges, 4" Exh, Digi-Boost Propane (stolen?), Dual Flexilite Fans, 3" Body Lift, IC up front.
628 ft/lbs TQ, 271 RWHP... for sale!

94 Blazer Sport - Westers Performance Chip for sale in the market place!
Offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2006, 05:50 PM   #62 (permalink)
0lee
Diesel Master

Lone Star Diesels Member

No, I'm pretty sure he never did that (nor did I), but I know that he knows what he's talking about, and I can't think of any time that he was wrong in these things. If he says you can get it to run better with some tweaking, then you can.
1985 Suburban, C20 with 4WD and 700R4, J-code engine, lifted, flowmaster mufflers, manual TCC lockup, manual high idle and cold advance, new injectors, electrical fuel pump, "HD" fuel filtering, rewired headlights ...

--- pls read '0lee' just as 'lee', the '0' is only to satisfy the forum software
Old 04-20-2006, 05:54 PM   #63 (permalink)
CanadianRigger
Diesel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lee View Post
If he says you can get it to run better with some tweaking, then you can.
I agree with that 100%. Just gotta figure it out and i'm not leaning towards GP's anymore.

10 Second glow time is posted now too.
+92^mm OBDI 5068 IP , 8 sleeves bored 40 over, 18:-?, scat crank, splayed mains, new mystery cam, copper gaskets, Studs, ported, Hi-Pops, Cumins LP, FTB..., PANE, most likely? 6" Pro-Comp Lift, 33" Treads

1996 GMC 4x4 SB "S" - GM-8, 3"DP, 3.5" w/4"stacks, Gutted Plenum, EGR Block Off, Boost/Pyro, Air Bags. 59mm^

94 1500 Z-71 SB 4x4, 5.9L 12V Cummins, 40HP Injectors, 14CC Turbo, NV4500 w/Gear Vendor, Air Bags, Gauges, 4" Exh, Digi-Boost Propane (stolen?), Dual Flexilite Fans, 3" Body Lift, IC up front.

Old 04-20-2006, 08:45 PM   #64 (permalink)
CanadianRigger
Diesel Master

Ok, so now i've moved the IP towards pass side about 3mm after it was warmed to 180+. Did the time set, said 0 across the board. (ya i know i'm not suppose to but how come everyone else gets +/-8.5 degree's?). Anyways DES/ACT still around 10 when in time set. TDCO is still -1.58 as i haven't touched it. What to do now??? Guess i just wait for it to cool off and try a cold start?

Old 04-20-2006, 11:23 PM   #65 (permalink)
dieseldummy
Diesel Technician

The only reason I'm leaning towards the timing thing is that I've fought this before. I had hard cold starts with a lower compression engine with brand new 60 g's and extended glow time. I even went so far as to buy thos Ebay junk quick heats to no avail... Eventually I backed the timing off to near stock and most of my problems went away, my starting problems at least. Mine acted very similar to yours does in your video. It would crank, crank, fire, crank, fire, crank, crank, fire, try to start, die... I still wonder how Westers set up your timing tables. To much timing makes them a slow pig off the line to.

Used to enjoy... '01 GMC Dmax/ZF6
Old 04-21-2006, 01:48 AM   #66 (permalink)
flanman5
Diesel Technician

Send a message via MSN to flanman5

CR that truck of yours looks awesome and i hope that you get it to start better because you will be replacing every week if you keep cranking like that.
Your sure it aint a glow plug issue. To me thats what is like but thats just me.

1997 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Ext Cab 6.5 "F" Vin 5 Spd Long Bed Optic bump, 3" from turbo to magnaflow w/ 4" chrome tip.
Remote mounted PMD w/ #6 Resistor
TD-MAX Boost Fooler

Next My Intercooler and gauges just waiting for my lazy ass to git r done.

Want List: 3" Lift and wheels
Old 04-21-2006, 08:05 AM   #67 (permalink)
ajk bell
Diesel Technician

Bad start

I have a 90 F**d and it acts much that same as yours if it is cold enough ... I had/have 2 problems with mine

1- injector pump had low pressure I put new injectors in and but that wasn't enough once I changed the injector pump it will now actual start above and below 0C without been pluged in ... you might want to check your fuel rail pressure and or your injectors ... almost sounds like you have bad injector. My F**d would run just fine after you got her going ....I wouldn't be looking at the glow plugs too hard anymore I think you have beat that issue ... I would look into fuel flow/pressure and maybe the timing (if someone has messed with it) there is no reason your truck should be starting that hard ... almost as bad as the old diesel warm it up start and repeat ... and pray

The 2nd problem I had was battery output (amp) was not high enough wouldn't crank over fast enough to produce heat in the combustion chamber.

the 3rd which doesn't apply in your case is low compression

I fixed the first 2 and I can get it to start up to -10C now with a couple of heating cycles (& a squirt of quick start --- not recommend for your truck too high compression) ... not bad for a worn out engine.

Now that I think about it if I squirt too much quick start it will act just like your ... almost as if it has too much timing .. at times it wouldn't even turn over because the quick start would fire up too soon before top dead center and would actual push the engine back ... something to think about,

I hope this might help.
Snow Bear steel box cover.
New injectors at 195,000 km & New Fuel pressure regulator at the same time.
Superchips tune -Level 2 Perf/tow
Remote starter
Kennedy Diesel - "Boost Valve"
AFE washable air filter
06 towing Mirrors
Old 04-21-2006, 04:03 PM   #68 (permalink)
CanadianRigger
Diesel Master

Well first start this a.m @ 60F wasn't too much fun, you think i had to crank it before... lol.

Anyways after it warmed up past 180F i did a TDCO and managed to get it at < +2.46.... killed all the mosquito's in the neighborhood and then some.

Moved the IP back to drivers past where i'd had it before with some extreme grunting on the homemade IP wrench so as to bend my wrench and tightened it all down.

As soon as the truck hit 170F it commanded its own TDCO with no input from me, stumbled and went to -2.11, just killing only a couple of mosquito's. I've commanded TDCO a few times as it got up to +/- 190F to see where it would go and how it would run, highest was -2.45 i believe, a few more times of fiddling and got it back to -2.11, gonna run it there and see how it fires up in the a.m. Time set shows +/- 3.5 ACT.

Old 04-22-2006, 07:04 PM   #69 (permalink)
DieselPro
Diesel Master

Food for thought. Diesel doesn't burn at all unless the compression pressure is way up there. Fuel has to be injected at this peak pressure when cold.
18-1 compression engine is going to reach this pressure at a later point in crank revolution. The timing is going to need to be retarded to crank properly. Otherwise you'll be injecting the fuel into the pre-combustion chamber too early and it will just fizz on the plug a little and do nothing. Problem with retarding injection is that for the engine to run well at idle it will need to be advanced so as to burn all the available fuel. Then the other scenario, once you build up maximum boost you might want to back off the timing due to the raised combustion pressures.

Hi-Pop injectors might also reduce the amount of fuel injected at cranking. If it smokes a lot just disregard as I know nothing of Marine or Army hi-pop injectors in terms of cranking delivery.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:49 PM   #70 (permalink)
dieseldummy
Diesel Technician

Hense the wonder of electronic injection. The cold timing tables can be modded for proper cold start. Warm timing tables for idle and also full throttle can be manipulated.

Used to enjoy... '01 GMC Dmax/ZF6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread