Diesel Place banner

Diesel in a gas vehicle

3K views 40 replies 15 participants last post by  mp06011999 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So one of my work buddies comes in and says, "Hey can you cover the shop? I have to go get my daughter, she put diesel in the Honda Fit." $400 later the
dealer cleaned out the fuel system and got it started. I had to ask him this morning, "Hey did you remind them to put new glow plugs in it for you?" Didn't go over well :confuzeld

#37 ·
Interesting. I suppose there could be more to the story like when it first quit they cranked it till the battery died then called family / friend that jumped it till they fried the jumper cables. They then called a tow truck that repeats the process. Eventually it hydrolocks in one cylinder because of the angle its parked?

#38 · (Edited)
Think I've seen it about 3 times.

* On the job once a temp day labor ("rent a drunk", we used to call it) tried to steal some gas for his car as he left us, not to return. Well, he got more than he bargained for putting diesel in his gasser. None of us saw him steal it. Just saw the car sputter and die before he hit the job site exit. We all said it in unison, "SOB stole some diesel".

* One of our office workers was handed a diesel truck as his new service vehicle. On his drive from CA to FL he filled it with gas. Called me in a panic. Told him to have it drained and filled with diesel on HIS dime. He had a garage take care of it and all was good.

* A buddy talking on his phone and not paying attention put gas in his diesel. I towed his rig home from the station where he pumped out the tank, changed the filter, filled it with diesel and some 2 cycle. All was good.

I think from years of living on heavy equipment I just naturally expect to smell diesel and when I don't, I don't pump until further investigation. As a matter of fact, I get made fun of for calling ALL fuel "fuel". I never say I gotta get gas. I always gotta get "fuel" no matter what I'm driving. Habit. Then again, I never call dirt "dirt". It's "material". lol Funny what sticks with us.

It's not to say that it can't happen to me, but I can't imagine how. If it don't stink, trace the line.

#40 ·
I heard that used to happen a lot in the military when they were running a lot of the 80's Blazers. Apparently there was usually a couple of gas ones in the mix or maybe they were the older Dodge ones? Guy that told me the story said it would happen all the time, they would get a couple miles down the road and see the smoke start pouring out. Those were carbs so I assume it just depended on how much diesel they got. I think he said that a couple times they just drained the tank part way then filled with gas and let er smoke. I suppose it was hard on spark plugs but hey its a 'company car' so who cares?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.