Diesel Place banner

rebuilding a 1995 6.5 turbo

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  joesch1999 
#1 ·
I am gonna tackle rebuilding this engine got the engine out and found a bad head gasket, sent heads in both heads were cracked ordered new heads had block bored out and crank turned, was not anything wrong with block or crank but had it done for longevity engine had 170000. anyone got any tips when putting engine back together, its my first diesel rebuild, so I am a little nervous, something made engine overheat to crack heads and I have not found out what that is yet, thought might be water pump but it is tight, I would love some thoughts on where to go about finding problem

#2 ·
I am gonna tackle rebuilding this engine got the engine out and found a bad head gasket, sent heads in both heads were cracked ordered new heads had block bored out and crank turned, was not anything wrong with block or crank but had it done for longevity engine had 170000. anyone got any tips when putting engine back together, its my first diesel rebuild, so I am a little nervous, something made engine overheat to crack heads and I have not found out what that is yet, thought might be water pump but it is tight, I would love some thoughts on where to go about finding problem
Well for starters, the nice about these engines is that they are pretty similar to say a chevy small block in terms of assembly and simplicity. There isn't too many things that are "diesel" specific which makes it easy except for the fuel system obviously.

Was the truck stock? Stock turbo system? Only things I can think of to cause the headgasket to go if the block was fine is either the junk TTY head bolts stretched, too much boost or back pressure, or possibly a waterpump issue. Now would be a good time to upgrade the waterpump and fan to a 2000 model year WP, fan, and clutch. Also, if you plan to run higher boost or a bigger turbo, some ARP studs would be a good idea as well a main girdle kit. Hopefully you didn't get the crank turned very far, not a good idea on a 6.5 crank, a polish would be more appropriate. Also, how far did you get it bored? Over 0.020" is not recomended.

Reactions: dieselmike1
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.