Diesel Place banner

Let's see those 6.5s doing work!

63K views 316 replies 101 participants last post by  Tommygunner 
#1 ·
Got the idea from my other thread, let's see some pics of your 6.5s pulling, hauling, etc etc! :HiHi:

I'll start it off with some recent pics.

See less See more
#184 ·
Drive by the guages

Just had a holiday around the Flurieu peninsula,Murray river and Clare Valley in South Australia. After fitting the methanol injection,cold air snorkel, locked up 9 blade fan ,boost,trans temp,exhaust temp guages, lower front skirt and straight through exhaust it tows great. Still obviously need to take it slow on steep climbs but watching the guages keeps everything sweet. Hit the open road and at 60 MPH the converter locks up and all the temperatures just drop down and it just cruises.

Attachments

#185 ·
Just had a holiday around the Flurieu peninsula,Murray river and Clare Valley in South Australia. After fitting the methanol injection,cold air snorkel, locked up 9 blade fan ,boost,trans temp,exhaust temp guages, lower front skirt and straight through exhaust it tows great. Still obviously need to take it slow on steep climbs but watching the guages keeps everything sweet. Hit the open road and at 60 MPH the converter locks up and all the temperatures just drop down and it just cruises.
Would love to see you start a thread about this truck! :bigglasse

Reactions: thebassman
#187 ·
wouldn't call it work but I love my 6.5!!

Reactions: Kenworth05
#189 ·
My 1996 K2500 6.5TD Suburban towing my broken 1997 K2500 6.5TD Suburban

Attachments

#193 ·
#191 ·
You hauling that to Roswell ?

#192 ·
TheBassMan- My only regret is I never made it to Australia to drive on the wrongside of the road. LOL= Does having the fan bolted on with no clutch eat up more fuel?. Nicelooking suburban and trailer.-------- Hey SalonScottstyle I drove a Chevy 5500 rollback with a baby Cat Auto trans. it was cool. I really like your rollback. Very nice looking.

#200 ·
Not noticeably. With all the other stuff I've done I'm using less and can pull the hills better. Makes a shitload of noise though. Brunswick diesel in Perth, Western Australia makes the adaptor so the fan still sits in the correct place in the shroud. Might have to swap it back for winter.

#197 ·
:HiHi:

Attachments

#202 ·

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#206 ·
Bought another parts truck and hauled it home behind the 92 k2500hd. The parts truck is a 94 k1500 Lb ex-cab 6.5td auto with 14 bolt 9 1/2" 3.70 gear. It had been sitting for "a few" years because of a "weak" tranny. over 300,000 miles. no useable body parts.
The 92 doing the towing has 287,000 miles.

Attachments

#207 · (Edited)
no useable body parts... weak trans I guess you got it for the engine and the bumper? is the interior nice? seats would be different than yours, but should fit if they are in better shape. (94 seats are the best) fuel tank should be the same...

being it's a z71, maybe the front hardware and skid plates will swap over...

if it were me, I'd move the good body parts over to the parts truck, and swap the drivetrain into it to have more cabin space...

I like extended cab...

#208 ·
Minnesota rust and farm truck dents and no title:confuzeld:confuzeld The 92 doing the towing will be scrapped also:eek:, as soon as I have one of the 93s driveable. I plan to get the parts truck running , just to hear it run and see how "weak" the tranny is. The interior is dirty but the red 94- bucket seats are good. I prefer the 94- interiors over the 95+ style.

#209 ·
Camping trip

Returning from camping with my 31 foot camper.

Attachments

#210 ·
Very nice looking rig.

#218 ·
Brought some crap back with me.
I carefully studied both pictures... and I can't identify any of the stuff on the truck or trailer other than the tire. :idea:

#214 ·
Tips for towing 10,000lbs, don't try to go up hills.
Did you blow it up? I see a puddle on the side where the Hi-C gets poured in.

#215 ·
My dad has towed 30,000 lbs with his 6.5L before. Just don't go full throttle, another tip for 10,000lbs is Stopping power. That wagon dad had didn't have brakes. Didn't know what it weighed till we hit the scale. On a side note of 6.5Ls down my 3500 has had the very important job of holding a stack of cap blocks down for the last month a job it will have for at least another month.

#216 ·

Ended up with ~10,000 lbs total trailer weight.

Reactions: alpacalips
#217 ·
A 99 Cadillac SLS on the trailer. The Cadillac has more horsepower than the truck:eek:. Truck is 200 car is 275. The truck is the 92 in my signature.
Second pic is a 03 Cadillac STS on the trailer behind the 92 6.5.
:whistle: Yes, now I'm starting to hoard Cadillacs with Northstar engines:Insane::Insane:.

Attachments

Reactions: dieselolds
#219 ·
All those 6.5's and Northstars... got a fondness for changing head gaskets eh? :HiHi:

#222 ·

~11,500-12,000 lbs total trailer weight on this one.

Reactions: Tr00b