4in exaust-ecm - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
mill-diesel
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

4in exaust-ecm

Hi looking to give my 94 6.5 a little more punch,looking thru the vendors and cant find a complete 4in exaust and ecm upgrade,looking for vendor on this site thanks,mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 10:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
JorgeNY
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Diamond eye turbo back exhaust can be had from alligatorperformance.com at a fair price. An ECM can be had from kennedydiesel.com

Both are site vendors

'96 GMC K2500 gone but not forgotten
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 06:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
mill-diesel
Diesel Head

Thx bro, appreciate your time
Old 02-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tannerjpowell
Mechanical Enginerd

Since it's a 94, you also have the option of burning your own chip. You can pick up a willem eprom burner off flea-bay for $30 and a few blank 27SF512 chips from moates ($5). There are some tunes out there you can download and try for free (see dripspeed diesel) or you can purchase the definition files for Tunercat from Westers Garage and try your own custom tunes. This is not for the faint of heart or weak readers.

If you do ANY tuning (on your own or with an aftermarket chip), be sure to install EGT and boost gauges first.

If you're going to buy an aftermarket tune, I would avoid SS diesel. Kennedy has a good product and good support. I hear a lot about KOJO tunes, but have not tried anything myself.
1994 2500 Suburban 6.5L - 2wd Auto - 8200 lb brakes - 3.73 posi - 4" Diamond Eye System, 2.25" x-over, PMD relocate and heat sink, Custom LCD readout for EGT, Boost done, working on IAT and EOT. Heath MaxETorq, Turbomaster, Duraterms. In Progress: TransGo HD2, Updated Transmission Solenoids, 2000 model water pump, spin on fan clutch and duramax fan.

2003 ECSB 4x4 6.6L - PPE Hot - MBRP 4" - 1/4 E.T. 14.74 ------- Sold

Last edited by Tannerjpowell; 02-21-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
mill-diesel
Diesel Head

Thx first diesel,wanna try to get the most out of this motor and have some fun,also any advice on a bigger better turbo would be great,i just sold my first new vehicle so i could have something to work on,got bored
Old 02-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
BurbanK9Rescue
Diesel Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeNY View Post
Diamond eye turbo back exhaust can be had from alligatorperformance.com at a fair price. An ECM can be had from kennedydiesel.com

Both are site vendors
I love my 4" diamond eye system. Sounds great. I opted for the one with the muffler and I am glad I did. Great sound and you can even hear the spool of the turbo well.... Straight piped is just annoyingly loud to me.

Last edited by BurbanK9Rescue; 02-21-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
mill-diesel
Diesel Head

Just ordered my 4in diamond eye form alligator,cant wait to hook it up,anyone mod there turbo by widening the inside for more airflow,i saw this on a venor site,thanks mike
Old 02-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
BurbanK9Rescue
Diesel Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mill-diesel View Post
anyone mod there turbo by widening the inside for more airflow,i saw this on a venor site,thanks mike
I would think this would be a bad idea myself.......... I could be wrong but I dont see how you could increese airflow that way. If anything you may actually lose airflow.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tannerjpowell
Mechanical Enginerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mill-diesel View Post
Just ordered my 4in diamond eye form alligator,cant wait to hook it up,anyone mod there turbo by widening the inside for more airflow,i saw this on a venor site,thanks mike
Your truck is equipped with a GM-4 or GM-8 turbo IIRC.

It should be capable of handling minor engine mods and tuning and running easily up to 15# boost without touching the turbo.

If you decide you want better spool times and such, the Holset 40 series turbo is the way to go from all I have read. The turbos can be a bit pricey (2k new), but if you're willing to scrounge up parts and do a bit of work, you can get your turbo for ~800 relatively easily.

I don't know what the effectiveness would be of modifying this turbo, but I can't see simply widening any opening making a big improvement. Impeller dimensions also have a lot to do with how the turbo functions and modifying the housing would probably require a complimentary modification the impeller.

Out of curiosity, do they list a price for this service? An further information on what the service entails?
1994 2500 Suburban 6.5L - 2wd Auto - 8200 lb brakes - 3.73 posi - 4" Diamond Eye System, 2.25" x-over, PMD relocate and heat sink, Custom LCD readout for EGT, Boost done, working on IAT and EOT. Heath MaxETorq, Turbomaster, Duraterms. In Progress: TransGo HD2, Updated Transmission Solenoids, 2000 model water pump, spin on fan clutch and duramax fan.

2003 ECSB 4x4 6.6L - PPE Hot - MBRP 4" - 1/4 E.T. 14.74 ------- Sold

Last edited by Tannerjpowell; 02-21-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
mill-diesel
Diesel Head

It was a air intake mod on kennedy diesel,anyone have exp with the a team turbo from walking j
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.