4in exaust-ecm - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013, 07:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
mill-diesel
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Not sure if i should just get a ecm tune with stock turbo or a team turbo with tune, heard a team is bad on low end and i will be plowing and hauling firewood with this truck, any thoughts!
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
Tannerjpowell
Mechanical Enginerd

What are you planning on spending? A holset 40 would be your best bet on a turbo upgrade.

Another thing you might consider (that I have not yet researched a heck of a lot) is intercooling the stock turbo. Whether you use a water to air (WTA) or air to air (ATA) intercooler, you should see a decent power improvement and MUCH better longevity of the turbo and other components.

I would START by going through the FAQ and doing all the recommended checks and upgrades. That will bring you to a reliable starting point for any modifications that add power.

After that, 4" exhaust and replace the factory crossover with a 2.25" mandrel bent crossover. It's good practice to wrap your new crossover (keeps heat in; good for turbo).

Then you might consider a tune from Kennedy or another site vendor.

If you're still not happy with it you can intercool it, or go straight to an better turbo.

Personally, I'm considering a more aggresive tune than the one I currently have before touching the turbo. I've seen people get pretty decent power out of the stock turbo.
1994 2500 Suburban 6.5L - 2wd Auto - 8200 lb brakes - 3.73 posi - 4" Diamond Eye System, 2.25" x-over, PMD relocate and heat sink, Custom LCD readout for EGT, Boost done, working on IAT and EOT. Heath MaxETorq, Turbomaster, Duraterms. In Progress: TransGo HD2, Updated Transmission Solenoids, 2000 model water pump, spin on fan clutch and duramax fan.

2003 ECSB 4x4 6.6L - PPE Hot - MBRP 4" - 1/4 E.T. 14.74 ------- Sold
Old 02-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
mill-diesel
Diesel Head

Thx i have the exaust coming in this week(diamond eye 4 in) was thinking of getting a tune from kennedy or getiing a a team turbo and kojo tune not sure yet
Old 02-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tannerjpowell
Mechanical Enginerd

About the intake modification: I believe you are talking about removing the webbing from the upper plenum. I did this on mine with a die-grinder. Be careful not to nick the gasket surfaces.

TBH, at the power my truck is currently making I didn't see a substantial difference after this modification. It could be more significant after further upgrades are done elsewhere.
1994 2500 Suburban 6.5L - 2wd Auto - 8200 lb brakes - 3.73 posi - 4" Diamond Eye System, 2.25" x-over, PMD relocate and heat sink, Custom LCD readout for EGT, Boost done, working on IAT and EOT. Heath MaxETorq, Turbomaster, Duraterms. In Progress: TransGo HD2, Updated Transmission Solenoids, 2000 model water pump, spin on fan clutch and duramax fan.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
nastynate6695
Diesel Fanatic

i have a quick interjection.. As far as the crossover gos i have seen arguments about the 2.5 being worse then the 2.25' is this due to the compression of the exhaust gasses towards the turbo or is there really no proof in these claims?
The only reason i ask is because i plan on doing the 4' diamond eye upgrade but also want to include the crossover but not sure with which one to go with?
82 mercedes 300 sd
03 suzuki sv 1000
69 442 with 455 rocket
Old 02-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
JorgeNY
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 4 reviews

I'm pretty happy with my 2.5" cross over. I really doubt there is much noticeable difference between the 2

'96 GMC K2500 gone but not forgotten
Old 02-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tannerjpowell
Mechanical Enginerd

The difference between the 2.25" and 2.5" crossover is probably not all that great. The 2.25" is plenty large to carry exhaust gas to the turbo for one half of the engine. Turbo drive force is related to gas pressure, flowrate and temperature. Increasing in diameter from 2.25" to 2.5" will only allow more gas expansion to occur in the pipe before the turbo thus reducing pressure, temperature and turbo drive force. To maximize turbo drive force, you would keep the pressure and temperature at the turbo as close to the pressure and temperature after exiting the combustion chamber as possible.

In short and without doing a detailed comparison, the 2.25" crossover should produce better results (even if only by a small margin) than the 2.5" up to a certain power output. The 2.25" should reduce turbo spool times in almost any case.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
Gruffid
Diesel Technician

Send a message via MSN to Gruffid

Who sells the 2.25" crossover? And I have heard that having the pyrometer bung on the crossover is bad practice. What do you guys think?
1997 GMC K2500 SUBURBAN, SLE, 6.5L TD F-code, 4L80-E, NP243 T-Case, G80 L/S 4:10 diffs, steel wheels, Mastercraft (Cooper) Courser HTR 245/75R16 M+S tyres.

Modifications: PMD relocated to the grille w/ #9 resister, DSG Phazer timing gears, Fluidamper, DE 3" down-pipe/4" exhaust, SSDiesel 2.25" crossover, Dual Alternator mod, Lube-Spec engine oil cooler & lines, new HO water pump w/ 190* ACD thermostats, new P/S lines & cooler, Kennedy 20" fan and fan clutch, Heath turbomaster, Ranch Hand Bumpers (Front & Rear), Gear Vendors Overdrive, removed the vacuum pump.

The truck has approximately 124,000 miles (CAO 1 Nov 2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 09:40 PM   #19 (permalink)
racer55
6.5TD Post Addict

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Far prefer to have the EGT sensor below the turbo to get readings from both banks of cylinders:
Pre-Turbo EGT probe installation. W/Pics!
http://www.kennedydiesel.com/6265Gaugeinstallation.cfm

Diagnostic Checklist 2.0
OBD1 Codes
OBD2 Codes
6.5 FAQ
Carcode & TDCO Instructions
Old 02-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tannerjpowell
Mechanical Enginerd

I mounted my egt probe on the square land on the manifold as described in the above thread. Why?

You would like to know, as close as possible, the temperature of the exhaust gas hitting the turbo. This will take some of the guess work out of the "Did I over heat my turbo?" or "Is 1200F really too hot?" scenario. If you're measuring in the crossover, the EGT's can be quite a bit lower than those coming off the passenger side head and entering the turbo. Granted the gasses from each side mix, placing the thermocouple in the location mentioned above gives you a reading of that mixture, instead of just one side of the mix.

I bought a flowmaster down pipe and crossover kit. You may be able to get the crossover by itself from them. Also, I don't see why a good local exhaust shop couldn't handle the fabrication job for cheap. Local shop is probably your best bet.

I'm sure some other members will chime in with vendors they have used. SSdiesel may have a 2.25" x-over... haven't looked in a while.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.