Question: terrable white smoke at start up on 6.5 turbo - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (0) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 08:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
towguy55
Diesel Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

terrable white smoke at start up on 6.5 turbo

OK guys i could really use some advice here,I have a beautiful 95 3500 HD GMC with 95000 miles that really bellows the white smoke after it sits overnight.Ive replaced the glowplugs with the new GM glowplugs and has a new controller on it.The only thing that helps the startup is disconnecting to coolant sensor at startup but seems to read good on a scan tool.Ive been reading TSB's on this engine and GM has had issues with the prom and reccomends an update BUT none are available through GM anymore..Do you guys think this might be an issue here and if so what do you reccomend ...look forward to getting some input here...thanks so much....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
FloridaHorseman
Diesel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by towguy55 View Post
OK guys i could really use some advice here,I have a beautiful 95 3500 HD GMC with 95000 miles that really bellows the white smoke after it sits overnight.Ive replaced the glowplugs with the new GM glowplugs and has a new controller on it.The only thing that helps the startup is disconnecting to coolant sensor at startup but seems to read good on a scan tool.Ive been reading TSB's on this engine and GM has had issues with the prom and reccomends an update BUT none are available through GM anymore..Do you guys think this might be an issue here and if so what do you reccomend ...look forward to getting some input here...thanks so much....
Disconnecting the ECT and getting less smoke on a cold start indicates the EPROM is doing its job by extending the GP glow and engaging the stepper motor. As cheap as they are, I'd replace the ECT sensor no matter what the scanner says. If you're convinced it's an EPROM problem you can get a performance flashed upgrade from one of the sponsor vendors here. ~FH

1994 Chevy K1500 Z71, 6.5L TD 145,000 miles, bumper mount PMD, LP relay mod, filter sock delete -SOLD-
1998 Chevy K3500, 454 horse hauler , 175,000 miles, tuned flow-through exhaust, pillar gauges (vac, trans temp, volts), electric cooling fans, external trans cooler & fan, manual TCC lockup mod, limo tint, front & rear brush guards, B&W G/N flip hitch, spray-in bed liner, chrome wheel inserts

Engine "No Start" Checklist
Diagnostic Checklist
OBD1 Trouble Codes
OBD2 Trouble Codes
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 10:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
towguy55
Diesel Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply..well the fact is the ect sensor was one of the 1st things i replaced..lol..and to be honest i'm really not convinced its in the eprom,just kinda threw that out there..its also had the IP rebuilt a few yrs back..what are your thoughts to extending glow plug time ?..
Old 01-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
racer55
6.5TD Post Addict

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

A manual glow override would help likely:
How To - Glow Plug Override

Or an aftermarket tune with a longer glow duration programmed in.

BTW:AC Delco ONLY for sensors and electronic parts on these trucks-the aftermarket parts are not up to the job.

Diagnostic Checklist 2.0
OBD1 Codes
OBD2 Codes
6.5 FAQ
Carcode & TDCO Instructions
Old 01-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
JMJNet
Diesel Laureate

The Suburban Club Member

For GPs, Bosch comes out ahead of GM's ACDelco.

Anything that said Sender, Sensor, Thermostat, all need to be GM aka ACDelco as racer55 said.
Example OPS, CTS, ECT, Thermostat.
KD LP/OPS Harness
Bosch Duraterm GP
Heath Turbo-Master
Chevron's XLP Diesel Additive
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
crankme69
Diesel Master

Did you check the wire to each glow plug for power when you installed the new ones?

1995 Tahoe 6.5TD 202K Buddy chipped cat & muff delete

1994 1500 Silverado 6.5TD 2WD RCLB 165K Buddy chip EGR disabled else bone stock work in progress...

1996 TDI Passat 190K 49mpg avg

2005 FLHTC 107 Twin Cam Fueling 574 cams, 10.1 CR, Mik 45, DTT map, 3.37 final, E1 clutch & VPC with SE 6 sp, SnS roller rockers Bub 7 2 into 1 exhaust, 120Tq & 120Hp

1995 FXD 80 EVO V Thunder 2015 cam, Mikuni 42, SE slip ons, 80Tq & 70Hp
Old 01-23-2013, 12:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
towguy55
Diesel Enthusiast

yep i checked for current at each g/p connector and all checked OK and the temp sensor was ac delco..also new stat...
Old 01-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Kennedy
Supporting Vendor

Quote:

Disconnecting the ECT sensor at startup extends the glow time making more heat. Start with a fresh set of Quick Heat plugs. The AC 60g's are too slow. If that does not work then extended glow time via chip tuning. I've had extended glow in my chips for many years now and the 18:1 engines start clean and run smooth without additional interaction. If these two don't take care of it and your compression checks out uniform, then it's down to the pump. I've seen the DS pumps give really crappy cold starts before for some strange reason. New pump cured the issue. Let's hope the improved glow heat takes care of yours.
2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT
2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Kennedy Custom tuned 20+mpg with emissions intact
Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!
Old 01-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
crankme69
Diesel Master

I was having issues with mine starting cold & it turned out to be lift pump & lines needed replacing. I determined that a few different ways.

1st is place the shifter into gear & then hold the starter in the start position on 1995 years that should run the lift pump. Running the LP should help clear out any air that may have found it's way in while the vehicle sets.

2nd install a clear piece of tubing on the IP return line & check for air bubbles in the am before starting the truck. A very small bubble is normal, large & continuous bubbles during & after startup are not.

3rd hook up temp pressure gauge & verify the fuel supply from the LP at idle & WOT. Just cause the LP is running doesn’t mean it’s doing anything.

My OEM LP & the associated fuel lines were all toast.

HTH's

1995 Tahoe 6.5TD 202K Buddy chipped cat & muff delete

1994 1500 Silverado 6.5TD 2WD RCLB 165K Buddy chip EGR disabled else bone stock work in progress...

1996 TDI Passat 190K 49mpg avg

2005 FLHTC 107 Twin Cam Fueling 574 cams, 10.1 CR, Mik 45, DTT map, 3.37 final, E1 clutch & VPC with SE 6 sp, SnS roller rockers Bub 7 2 into 1 exhaust, 120Tq & 120Hp

1995 FXD 80 EVO V Thunder 2015 cam, Mikuni 42, SE slip ons, 80Tq & 70Hp
Old 01-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
FloridaHorseman
Diesel Master

Quote:
Thanks for the reply..well the fact is the ect sensor was one of the 1st things i replaced...
Well, if the problem always clears up with the ECT sensor disconnected I fail to reasonably see how it could be anything else. It's possible to get a bad "new one", especially with aftermarket stuff. It could also be the connector itself shorting across the pins but only when it's in place.

Quote:
..and to be honest i'm really not convinced its in the eprom,just kinda threw that out there..its also had the IP rebuilt a few yrs back..what are your thoughts to extending glow plug time ?..
Extending the heat on GPs that aren't rated for it may not be a good idea but I'll defer to the more knowledgeable folks on that. ~FH

1994 Chevy K1500 Z71, 6.5L TD 145,000 miles, bumper mount PMD, LP relay mod, filter sock delete -SOLD-
1998 Chevy K3500, 454 horse hauler , 175,000 miles, tuned flow-through exhaust, pillar gauges (vac, trans temp, volts), electric cooling fans, external trans cooler & fan, manual TCC lockup mod, limo tint, front & rear brush guards, B&W G/N flip hitch, spray-in bed liner, chrome wheel inserts

Engine "No Start" Checklist
Diagnostic Checklist
OBD1 Trouble Codes
OBD2 Trouble Codes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.