pros and cons of balance flow mods... - Page 2 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (1) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine > 6.5/6.2 High Performance Engine Modifications
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
turbonator
Frieghtliner the bull....

iTrader Score: 22 reviews

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Quebec/Labrador Diesel Place Chapter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteK2500 View Post
I lurked for a year before I got the white truck and made a membership, I've been around a while. I even remember when the EhTT gurus were totally against my ideas about swapping turbos, running more boost, and computer controls for the turbo... oh how things have changed in a short period of time.

Hell I even remember when more then half the current 6.5 mods/leads/admin were just members

I figured using an IR thermometer would be able to see the temp of the heads in different areas, not just the coolant.
the thermometers we have today, back then were like nasa special issue... now we can order them from china for 15.00.....
acolytes of the "aggressive buddist's" principles since march 13th 2014
building power, "Sanford and Son style"

under development:
-MEGA-SQUIRTZ H.O. injectors
-big-bore DB-2 pumps (.350",.370")
-supercharger kit
-center mount turbo kit with tubular manifolds....
and much more.....
Jeff & jim....

Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
WhiteK2500
Knows The 6.5

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to WhiteK2500

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

My work has a good one, cost them 80$. Might ask to use that one, or just get one myself.

They do come in handy. And yes technology has gone leaps and bounds from yesteryears, I remember a comment my father once made "in my lifetime I saw the muscle car wars, saw a man put on the mood, the evolution of the microchip and computers, and the space station being built"

To put this into context, my old man was 56 when he passed away. In less then 50 years look how far we advanced.

There are things we can do today that once was thought to be next to impossible.
DSG gear set, gurdle and oil cooler, ported and half assed polished heads, HE351VE turbo, 3" downpipe, 2.25" xover, 3.5" DNA muffler and a 4" weed burner exhaust, NRK High idle switch kit and K47 relocated intake & AEM filter, Royal Purple in the trans, engine, and rear diff, 4 cobalt gauges, boost, pyro, trans temp and drive pressure. -6 CAT fuel system, Carter fuel pump. Sitting high on 35" Duratracs.
Bought it with a pooched engine and rebuilt it myself! 211,000 kms on the truck, 110,000km on the rebuild, still chuggin and still screamin.
If you're not drivin it hard, you don't deserve to drive it!

Member Lucky #7 of the TLFTN Club... Loud and proud

Want to make an OBD2 high idle switch set up? Click here
Ignore the subname, I know nothing! Haha.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Randy_the_Hack
Administrator
Mister, your truck's smoking...

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
And yes technology has gone leaps and bounds from yesteryears, I remember a comment my father once made "in my lifetime I saw the muscle car wars, saw a man put on the mood, the evolution of the microchip and computers, and the space station being built"

There are things we can do today that once was thought to be next to impossible.
Like using spell check, maybe??

'04.5 Silverado 2500 HD LLY/Allison Dark Spiral Gray Metallic, EC/LB LT 4x4, leather, Nerf bars, Edge Racing Evolution CTS, Monster Diesel, AC Delco stock filter w/TxC CAI, ProFab Performance intake tube, LBZ Kodiak turbo mouthpiece (see Rick's flow bench test results here), EGR blocked (fingerless), PCV rerouted, Silverline 4" 409SS, All Headlights mod , HIR lows and highs w/SilverStar fogs, OnStar, Du-Ha USS, ARMA spray liner, DrawTite Activator II, VentShades, Lund Interceptor Bug Deflector, Lund Genesis Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover, Pop-n-Lock tailgate lock, Bilstein 5100's, Merchant Automotive tie rod sleeves, Merchant Automotive Pump Rub Kit, Fleece Performance TapShifter, Michelin LTX M/S2 245/75 R16

"Suppose I were a congressman. And suppose I were an idiot. But I repeat myself..." - Mark Twain
"Life is hard. Life is harder if you're stupid." - John Wayne
"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt." - Anonymous
Online   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
paleyjim
Diesel Fanatic

Here is a link to an article about cooling a SBC. There is a little info on modifying the cooling system to balance temperatures. May be useful for those contemplating this.
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzezeqah/s...ingsystems.pdf

If you would like to see this implemented on the engine go to page 14 of this article:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzezeqah/s...les/camaro.pdf

Yes... I understand this doesn't relate directly to the 6.5. Just something you can use for ideas.

'96 Chevy K2500 - See Photos in My Garage, ECLB, G80, VIN F, 4.10, 249K miles, Remote PMD behind bumper w/ #9 resistor, Braided Oil Cooler Lines, Homebrew Auxiliary LED Backup Lights, Relay powered headlights, AR23 Rims, 265/75-16 Treadwright Claws, Dual front receivers, Ram Towing Mirrors
FRC-10 lift pump <-2 have now died on me (temporarily back to OEM while I decide on a replacement)
32 micron Pre lift pump spin on filter, Drilled and tapped FFM with -6 braided line and greatly enlarged IP inlet fittings, K47 Air Cleaner with 3" PVC Elbow, TDCO set to -1.76, 4" stainless downpipe-back exhaust
Old 02-13-2012, 11:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
WhiteK2500
Knows The 6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_the_Hack View Post
Like using spell check, maybe??
Spell wha? Nothing slips past you eh Randy?
DSG gear set, gurdle and oil cooler, ported and half assed polished heads, HE351VE turbo, 3" downpipe, 2.25" xover, 3.5" DNA muffler and a 4" weed burner exhaust, NRK High idle switch kit and K47 relocated intake & AEM filter, Royal Purple in the trans, engine, and rear diff, 4 cobalt gauges, boost, pyro, trans temp and drive pressure. -6 CAT fuel system, Carter fuel pump. Sitting high on 35" Duratracs.
Bought it with a pooched engine and rebuilt it myself! 211,000 kms on the truck, 110,000km on the rebuild, still chuggin and still screamin.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
sctrailrider
Diesel Master

OK, I will join in on this but I don't have first hand info on this mod as I haven't done it yet and haven't seen any really good pics of everything that is done, ( I can understand it better with pics).

What if a second crossover, one like the one on the front, used on the rear of the heads with the same t-stat in it was moded to fit and the hose was tied in to the front return hose going to the rad, or maybe the return side of the heater hose?? It would seem that the hot water would leave the heads faster and still not have vapor locks in the heads. and on a side note, I have thought about using the non water coolant - don't remember what it is called.

I might not be thinking about this the right way, just tiring to understand this bypass idea..

Chris

1993 Chevy K3500 CCDRW
Coming soon, frame off resto, cummins 6bt swap.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
WhiteK2500
Knows The 6.5

Then you might remove too much coolant from going to the front of the heads causing the front of the heads to run hot.

Coolant circulates from the front of the block, to the back, up to the back of the heads, and towards the front of the heads and out the crossover.

Some say removing some coolant from the rear helps, some believe adding cooler coolant into the rear helps cool the heads better.

I understand the adding method, to me the removing coolant idea seems bad, but as we all know things are not always as they seem.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
Hawkstrong
Diesel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctrailrider View Post
OK, I will join in on this but I don't have first hand info on this mod as I haven't done it yet and haven't seen any really good pics of everything that is done, ( I can understand it better with pics).
Chris
I'm with Chris. Pics would help

I've been thinking about doing this mod myself as I've had cooling issues with my truck when towing a relativity light camper.
I've already got a list of things to mod and replace, but I want to add this to that list

Blue 1990 GMC K2500 Camper Special, 6.2L "J" code TH400 NV4500 5spd. 221,000 miles - Got everything I need for the turbo. Found myself a GM-1..... We'll see how this goes.......

White 1988 GMC Jimmy. 6.2L "C" Code 700R4. 59,000 miles.
Still needs the whole setup..

Blue 1992 Chevy K2500 Ext. Cab Long box. 454/4L80E
Soon to be 6.2
Old 03-04-2012, 12:09 AM   #19 (permalink)
IamDave0887
A Country Boy Can Survive...

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

CT Smoke Member

DieselPlace.com Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Hell I even remember when more then half the current 6.5 mods/leads/admin were just members
It has been quite a long time hasn't it bud?

Doesn't seem like that long. 2007 for both of us. Has it really been that long?

At least your still driving the demon, although i am planning on getting Christine back up and running(or should i say stopping, damn brakes) soon. Gotta shake the cobwebs off the ol' girl.

As far as coolant into the radiator, hot coolant enters up top, and the bottom hose is supply into the WP.

Not sure why they run it that way, and not hot coolant out into the bottom of the rad.
I can't think of a reason why.

Both my old Subaru and my friends 4.7 V8 dakota have the t-stats on the bottom not the top, and i believe hot coolant enters the bottom of the radiator. Not 100% sure though, but it certainly looks that way.

'96 GMC C2500HD RCLB 6.5T/4L80E, Heath FSD,GL4,T/M, 5" stacks 201K miles AMS
OIL - Christine

'85 K-5 Blazer 379T Detroit Diesel, SM465/NP208 . body - 122K engine - ??? AMSOIL "The Rust Bucket" - Cora

Help The Staff!
See an inappropriate post, or spam? Please report it by clicking on the button!

Member #1 of the TLFTN Club - Loud And Proud.
BrotherHood of Handshakers #170
W/T Grille Club Member #2.

Reg Cab Club Member #73.
CT Smoke Member #20.
Steaksauce Hater club member #19

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem, Government is the Problem. - Ronald Reagan

6.5 FAQs - Click Here
Diagnostic Checklist - Click Here
Create/Edit Signature -Click Here
If you wish to send me a PM about how pissed off you Are Click Here

Last edited by IamDave0887; 03-04-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:10 AM   #20 (permalink)
sctrailrider
Diesel Master

I know this subject has been around a while now, I have the Heath write up on my pc and it shows that the single stat works best... I have talk with Heath & Kennedy & Schoolcraft, and they still stand by the single stat setup and being that this is what is on my 91 truck, I am going to stay with it.

I have seen some pics that show how the setup is and works. I am going to cement my block i'm my build and I am going to have 2 water filter setups in the system so we will see how things work out. And I will use the non water coolant, I will be the genny pig for this one,

Just for some of you that care---or don't care my build is starting now, I will try and start a thread on all 3 sites I am on, but it is going to be a lot of typing time to do this, the main thread will be on another site but I will do my best to paste everything to all 3 sites as I go. some of you are on the other sites as well so you will see it. The main build will be on (TDP), and this one and (TTS). I have been asked to do the thread on the free forum on TDP so with a lot of help from a few of the members there, I will.

Chris

1993 Chevy K3500 CCDRW
Coming soon, frame off resto, cummins 6bt swap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.