4" Exhaust options and X over pipe on the 6.5 - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (2) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
ShaneVanessaUK
Diesel Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

4" Exhaust options and X over pipe on the 6.5

Hey guys.

At present I have a totally factory stock 1997 C3500 I'm trying to uprate for more power and the safe ability to pull our 32ft classic 1989 Newmar Kountry Aire 5th wheel, at present it can bearly pull its own weight and I'm getting no where fast due to the company I choose to order from but thats a seperate thread..

So started looking at exhausts and intakes and found out hardly anybody makes them and shipping quotes of $600.00 were just crazy!!! I got lucky with my last truck as I found a 4" Bully dog new in the UK for $300 fitted..

So I'm looking at getting a UK custom exhaust company "Powerflow" to build one out of 4" stainless.

Other option is go with stacks, I do like these, but then is there known GOOD companies that sell the kit minus the actual stacks whole will ship world wide.

The plan is to remove ALL mufflers and soot trap and just straight pipe it to come out in front of rear wheels.

My question is, is there a US company that do JUST the downpipe as that looks a little tricky to make due to the very slight kinks and twists, shipping would be acceptable there.

The other thing I'm looking at is the

2.5" Mandrel Bent Crossover Pipe

is this really worth doing? is there any negative effects not doing this also? its just the connections I can not get here in the UK and very much doubt the originals will work due to increase in diameter..

Any advise or info is gratefully received to this lonely UK owner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tannerjpowell
Mechanical Enginerd

Flowmaster makes a 3" down pipe and 2.5" cross over kit. I purchased the kit from summit and began fitting up the down pipe. This downpipe has a four bolt flange and is designed to mount to the factory exhaust. Just cut the flange off of the factory exhaust and weld it to whatever you custom build.

Both the down pipe and the cross over pipe fit great. I later decided to go with a diamond eye turbo back system, so the 3" down pipe ultimately was not used.

I do recommend running a pass-through type muffler. They are not restrictive (4" open hole all the way through) and they greatly reduce the noise in cab. My friend has a '94 suburban with a side exit and no muffler and I'm pretty sure his wife doesn't ride in it with him because of that... Maybe it wouldn't be so bad with stacks on a truck, though?

Best of luck!
1994 2500 Suburban 6.5L - 2wd Auto - 8200 lb brakes - 3.73 posi - 4" Diamond Eye System, 2.25" x-over, PMD relocate and heat sink, Custom LCD readout for EGT, Boost done, working on IAT and EOT. Heath MaxETorq, Turbomaster, Duraterms. In Progress: TransGo HD2, Updated Transmission Solenoids, 2000 model water pump, spin on fan clutch and duramax fan.

2003 ECSB 4x4 6.6L - PPE Hot - MBRP 4" - 1/4 E.T. 14.74 ------- Sold

Last edited by Tannerjpowell; 01-14-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
JorgeNY
Diesel Master

iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Im pretty sure a diamond eye down pipe can be purchased through summitracing.com

An upgraded crossover pipe will definitely help. They have mandrel bends and larger diameter pipe. The stock design is a 2 wall and often collapses on the inside from the bends causing a big restriction. The new crossover will help with turbo spool up.

'96 GMC K2500 gone but not forgotten
Old 01-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
sctrailrider
Diesel Master

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

You would only need a new crossover & new down pipe IF--- you are able to do some fab/welding yourself, if you can, just get some 4" tubing local and a couple of 4" turns and fab your own. 4" tubing will fit inside the frame with some clearance, I did that and turned it as you are going to. And with a P/U there is no drone in the cab for me.

The newer (mandrel)crossover & down pipe are better than the mashed up stuff GM used, and a 2 1/4" crossover will spool the turbo quicker than a 2 1/2" will. You would be good to wrap both with header wrap to keep more heat going through the turbo and not heat soaking other things.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLOWMASTER-1...f61716&vxp=mtr

this one with new studs---

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-5-Chevrole...4779d8&vxp=mtr

complete exhaust kit-----

http://www.ebay.com/itm/93-01-GMC-Ch...461eeb&vxp=mtr

1993 Chevy K3500 CCDRW
Coming soon, frame off resto, cummins 6bt swap.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
ShaneVanessaUK
Diesel Fanatic

Excellent info guys, thank you.. Summit Racing.. heard of them for years now no matter what American vehicle I've owned but never used, will take a look at site now, especially if they do a kit.. its just that darn shipping cost lol!!

I was under truck today and that stock downpipe looks horrible and very restrictive..

Thanks for the Pass through tip... if I don't go stack route.. I'm thinking they will get my trailer filthy mind....
Old 01-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
ShaneVanessaUK
Diesel Fanatic

Thanks Sctrailrider.. actually that 2nd link is the one!! e.g the Flowmaster kit, just messaged them for shipping costs as they DO ship here..
Old 01-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
racer55
6.5TD Post Addict

Ontario Diesel Place Chapter Member

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Might even want to consider a site sponsor here like Alligator Performance:
http://www.alligatorperformance.com/...diesel&cID=420

Diagnostic Checklist 2.0
OBD1 Codes
OBD2 Codes
6.5 FAQ
Carcode & TDCO Instructions
Old 01-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
JMJNet
Diesel Laureate

The Suburban Club Member

No, you don't want those kink and twist. LOL!!!

It should fit a nicely mandrel bent 3" Dia pipe.
KD LP/OPS Harness
Bosch Duraterm GP
Heath Turbo-Master
Chevron's XLP Diesel Additive
Old 01-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tannerjpowell
Mechanical Enginerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctrailrider View Post
You would only need a new crossover & new down pipe IF--- you are able to do some fab/welding yourself, if you can, just get some 4" tubing local and a couple of 4" turns and fab your own. 4" tubing will fit inside the frame with some clearance, I did that and turned it as you are going to. And with a P/U there is no drone in the cab for me.

The newer (mandrel)crossover & down pipe are better than the mashed up stuff GM used, and a 2 1/4" crossover will spool the turbo quicker than a 2 1/2" will. You would be good to wrap both with header wrap to keep more heat going through the turbo and not heat soaking other things.
x2 on this. I need wrap mine. Completely slipped my mind. Looks like I'm pulling the inner fender again!
1994 2500 Suburban 6.5L - 2wd Auto - 8200 lb brakes - 3.73 posi - 4" Diamond Eye System, 2.25" x-over, PMD relocate and heat sink, Custom LCD readout for EGT, Boost done, working on IAT and EOT. Heath MaxETorq, Turbomaster, Duraterms. In Progress: TransGo HD2, Updated Transmission Solenoids, 2000 model water pump, spin on fan clutch and duramax fan.

2003 ECSB 4x4 6.6L - PPE Hot - MBRP 4" - 1/4 E.T. 14.74 ------- Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.