Pensacola Diesel and Herzog Injectors - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Home Forum Market Place Garage Lounge (3) Tuning Library DTC Tool Register Vendors
Go Back   Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums > GM Diesel Engines > 6.5L Diesel Engine
Register FAQ Forum Rules My Replies My Threads Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto LoansInsurance

DieselPlace.com is the premier Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
sathackr
Diesel Technician

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Pensacola Diesel and Herzog Injectors

I know they're not a site vendor so sorry if this isn't allowed, but just wanted to give some props to Pensacola Diesel.

Back in April I bought a reman IP from them, which I didn't install until around July. After about 3000 miles it started having issues metering the fuel (touchy accel, wouldn't pass the 2000pm test, etc)

As some know and as indicated my signature, I pour whatever flammable oily liquids I can find in my fuel tank and dilute it with diesel if the truck doesn't like it.

I was sure the pump failure was because of the crud I was running it on, and swapped my original IP back onto the truck. I called Pensacola Diesel, explained to them what I had run through the pump, offered to pay them Labor & Materials to tell me what exactly had failed in the pump and to repair it.

They said the pump still had a warranty (originally 12 months) and that they would cover it under warranty as long as the failure wasn't related to the fuel I had used. I was sure they would automatically void the warranty after finding out I wasn't running diesel in their pump.

They received the pump Tuesday and shipped it back to me Wednesday, repaired under warranty. They indicated the fuel metering solenoid was out of adjustment by a large amount and suspected I had whacked it while installing the pump (quite possible).

Whether I did or not, I don't know, just wanted to give them props for a quick turn around and standing behind their work even though it had been admittedly abused.

I also bought some Herzog marine injectors from them last April that I've been using with the same crud. I put 2 Herzog(Marine), 4 Delphi, and 2 Bosch injectors on my truck to see how they held up. I don't have a pop tester, but when I pulled the injectors, both the Bosch and Herzogs had very little buildup on the tips while all the Delphis were heavily coked. I cleaned them all and replaced them in different cylinders (in case a leaky head gasket was cleaning them) and had similar results. Bosch and Herzog clean, Delphi coked. I have pictures of them side-by-side I'll post on request.

490k miles.
Reman DS4 RIP Resurrected! Killed it with some motor oil. Used diesel motor oil = pump murderer. Bought another reman from Pensacola Diesel.
Original DS4(Tag says 2005) RIP ResurrectedFinally killed it dead with a yummy veggie oil blend. He will be missed.

Engine, tranny, and turbo rebuilt at 400k

Running mostly on alternate "Fuels"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
dieselolds
George Costanza fan...

Send a message via MSN to dieselolds

Pics would be interesting.Yes,upload them if you can possibly do so.Thanks.

1993 Chevrolet K1500 Z71....with newly rebuilt '97 6.5 TD (506 squirter block)

1997 Chevrolet K1500 ext.cab Z71....6.5 TD engine is out....New Genuine GM 6.2 660 short block takes its place.Equipped with 4L80E/6.5TD cylinder heads and DS4 injection system.

1998 Chevrolet K1500 Z71.....with a '87 6.2L DIESEL and 700R4.

2002 Volkswagen Jetta TDI.....with a 1.9L turbo diesel/5 speed.Cold air intake system.

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI comfortline....with 6 speed manual tranny and 2.0L turbo diesel.
Offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Deezel
Diesel Technician

Hope you know Herzog does not make 6.5l injectors.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
sathackr
Diesel Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezel View Post
Hope you know Herzog does not make 6.5l injectors.
Yes, I know. I should have said "Injectors sold as made by Herzog of Germany but likely Made in China and probably not specifically for 6.5" Regardless of the manufacturing details, the results aren't too shabby.

I will say, the Bosch and Delphi injectors are easily dismantled and cleaned. The "Herzog" injector nozzles were locked into the bodies pretty tightly by soot (between the nozzle and the body)

Either something with the nozzle allows the soot into this area or possibly the body-to-nozzle clearance is different.

490k miles.
Reman DS4 RIP Resurrected! Killed it with some motor oil. Used diesel motor oil = pump murderer. Bought another reman from Pensacola Diesel.
Original DS4(Tag says 2005) RIP ResurrectedFinally killed it dead with a yummy veggie oil blend. He will be missed.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
sathackr
Diesel Technician

This is the picture that came out clearest.

Attached Thumbnails
Pensacola Diesel and Herzog Injectors-injectors1.jpg  

490k miles.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
sctrailrider
Diesel Master

Old School Oil Burners (Old SOBs) Member

Not knowing what the pop pressure is set at on the different injectors you don't really know what might have caused them to soot up, the body doesn't matter, the tip and pressure will have everything to do with the soot...

1993 Chevy K3500 CCDRW
Coming soon, frame off resto, cummins 6bt swap.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
sathackr
Diesel Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctrailrider View Post
Not knowing what the pop pressure is set at on the different injectors you don't really know what might have caused them to soot up, the body doesn't matter, the tip and pressure will have everything to do with the soot...
I agree...I should have mentioned that along with the picture (that I didn't have a pop-tester) so that someone wouldn't be misled. It's quite possible the delphi injectors are popping lower than the others.

490k miles.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
dieselolds
George Costanza fan...

Send a message via MSN to dieselolds

The delphi's are quite a mess from that picture.Very suprised to see that.I find they work great in my 6.2 though.

1993 Chevrolet K1500 Z71....with newly rebuilt '97 6.5 TD (506 squirter block)

1997 Chevrolet K1500 ext.cab Z71....6.5 TD engine is out....New Genuine GM 6.2 660 short block takes its place.Equipped with 4L80E/6.5TD cylinder heads and DS4 injection system.

1998 Chevrolet K1500 Z71.....with a '87 6.2L DIESEL and 700R4.

2002 Volkswagen Jetta TDI.....with a 1.9L turbo diesel/5 speed.Cold air intake system.

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI comfortline....with 6 speed manual tranny and 2.0L turbo diesel.

Last edited by dieselolds; 01-13-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
JMJNet
Diesel Laureate

The Suburban Club Member

Did you put them on or previous owner did?

If you know, how many miles has it been there?

You mentioned you are using gasoline or something?
KD LP/OPS Harness
Bosch Duraterm GP
Heath Turbo-Master
Chevron's XLP Diesel Additive

Last edited by JMJNet; 01-13-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
sathackr
Diesel Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJNet View Post
Did you put them on or previous owner did?

If you know, how many miles has it been there?

You mentioned you are using gasoline or something?
4 of the delphis were on the truck when I got it. Unknown miles but cleaned them the first time I had them out (about 8000miles ago)

2 were new. There was some variation in amount of crud on them, the one in the picture is about average. Didn't seem to be any difference between the new ones and the 4 that were already on the truck. They all were cleaned about 5000 miles ago. Not a super endurance test, I know.

One bosch was new, one was on the truck already. The herzogs were new.

Gasoline is among the liquids that have been burned but never more than about 20%.

Other liquids:
-used ISO 42 hydraulic oil, diluted 10% D2, 10% Gasoline. (about 200gals)
-Some sort of gear oil, 50% diluted with diesel. (about 40gals)
-2 drums of mystery fluid. Seemed to be mostly hydraulic oil but one smelled like spray paint and the other had a strong unknown solvent smell. Diluted 20% D2. (100gals)
-I tried a batch of the hydraulic oil, diluted with e85(with the old pump). The truck hated it, it kept separating and vapor-locking on me. Ruined the rubber seal on the bleeder valve on the FFM.
-1 drum of used motor oil, diluted about 20% gasoline. It was too dark for my optical sensor so that tank was burned in limp mode. (50gals)

The fuel I'm burning is not typical, I really expected all of the injectors to come out like the delphi's, I was surprised when they didn't. I don't run 2 tanks, I don't have any fuel heater, nearly a stock fuel system.

490k miles.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

PLEASE READ! You must check your email inbox for the confirmation link to complete registration. Please check your spam box if you do not see the email in your inbox.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.